How do I... download caches onto my garmin 60cx from my chromebook. I used jsak once upon a time but

medic161

23 hours ago, medic161 said:

once upon a time i used jsak but chromebook does not support it. how do i get my caches from the geocache site onto my garmin??

Are you loading hundreds of caches?  Do you have access to a Mac or Windows PC?  You can load a 60Cx from GSAK or GPSBabel.  Create Lists or PQs of many caches, load them all at once, then load fresh data on a schedule.

Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx doesn't have mass storage mode, the convenient way to send cache info as GPX files.  Chromebook doesn't recognize the 60Cx of course, nor have software that connects to it.  Even with a more modern GPS, it's kind of tedious to get Pocket Queries onto one from a tablet.  If you're intending to install a different OS onto the Chromebook that can run (for example) Linux GPSBabel, I'd expect that you'd go find the info yourself and do it.

Unless you're great at hacking into your devices and running experimental software, and since a Chromebook works online anyway, a better option may be to use the Geocaching.com web site.  At least if it's just for a cache or two.  Save a cache description (or write down the important parts), manually type coordinates into your GPS and go.

Good luck!

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

I picked up a Chromebook for travel. I had hoped that getting one with the large USB port would mean I could link some electronics to it, like my Garmin Montana, or my MobiKey, or my camera. I've had mixed results so far. I hadn't tried my Montana just yet.

Naturally, I can't find my Montana at the moment, but I do have a fenix 2 watch handy. It is also set to spanner mode, so I plugged it in and put it in mass storage mode.

After a few seconds, I got a pop-up on the Chromebook, and I was able to view files on the fenix 2 just like the file explorer view from a Windows PC. I was able to access the GPX folder, which is where the GPSr looks for geocache files.

So: you should be able to manually save pocket query files (uncompressed GPX files, not the ZIP file) directly into the GPX folder, or manually save individual GPX files there. It's certainly not as helpful as running GSAK, but it is a means to the end of getting GPX files onto your Garmin.

• Funny 1

Update, I found my Montana.

Plugged it into the Chromebook.

Selected mass storage mode when the prompt came up on the GPSr.

A dialogue came up on the Chromebook: "Removable device detected. Explore the device's content in the Files app. For more options go to settings."

I clicked on the pop-up, and the Files app opened - again, similar to File Explorer in Windows. From there I located the GPX subfolder in the Garmin folder.

• Funny 1
On 3/4/2021 at 2:05 PM, medic161 said:

once upon a time i used jsak but chromebook does not support it. how do i get my caches from the geocache site onto my garmin??

You can load using GSAK (and explained by kunarion) if you're loading a lot of caches on pqs or lists to a 60cx.

- But I feel all the "rigging" just to keep a long-outdated GPSr working the way you remember back in the day, maybe says you might be due to treat yourself to a newer model.  Or use a phone.  :)

It may seem primitive to you, but I've loaded caches manually to a 60cxs since we "upgraded"  from blue legends in 2005.  

Less than two minutes a cache, and a small notepad for hints n stuff.  Simple...