My wishlist of improvements

yxza

Hello,

I have a few issues I hope can be implemented.

• At least on the webbased map I would like a radiobutton that makes it possible to select if mystery caches should be displayed at the posted coordinates or at the corrected ones. Would make it a bit easier to find room for new caches e.g.
  • In the official app (at least) you can add waypoints defining where GZ or other interesting steps are for a multi- or a mysterycache. I would like those waypoints to show up on the  webbased description of the cache too. And the other way around, make it possible to add waypoints in the webbased cache description and they should show up in the app as well.

regards

yxza

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, yxza said:

At least on the webbased map I would like a radiobutton that makes it possible to select if mystery caches should be displayed at the posted coordinates or at the corrected ones. Would make it a bit easier to find room for new caches e.g.

For that purpose you don't need the original bogus coordinates but only the updated ones. For most mystery caches the listing coordinates don't have any meaning. So in my eyes it would be sufficent if the shown position at the changed coordinates wouldn't get resetted after you found logged the cache. That's some kind of a bug I think: you change the coordinates, the cache is shown at the right location, you log it online as found, the coordinates of the smiley are back at the wrong coordinates. Perhaps it's easier to fix that but maybe it's not a bug but a feature for some reason I don't understand?

By the way: the map uses different symbols to show if the cache coordinates have been changed. That's helpful. As soon as the cache is in the pocket query on my GPS it is the same symbol as all the other caches of the same type which coordinates haven't been changed. I would like a new symbol in the pocket queries, too, perhaps the question mark changing the colour? So you'll be able to find solved mysterys out in the field better.

Jochen

• Helpful 1
1 minute ago, MartyBartfast said:

I believe it is a feature, so that Geo-Art will display as the artform once the caches have been found.

Aaaah, that might be a reason. At least that's some use of the bogus coordinates. Thank you for the idea. :-)

Most geoart caches I've done so far were boring (often it's always the same riddle again and again and a micro powertrail outdoors) and I don't think this should given too much importance in comparison to usabilty as seeing were the finals are if you want to hide a new cache. So if this is the only reason..... :-(

26 minutes ago, frostengel said:

For that purpose you don't need the original bogus coordinates but only the updated ones. For most mystery caches the listing coordinates don't have any meaning. So in my eyes it would be sufficent if the shown position at the changed coordinates wouldn't get resetted after you found logged the cache. That's some kind of a bug I think: you change the coordinates, the cache is shown at the right location, you log it online as found, the coordinates of the smiley are back at the wrong coordinates. Perhaps it's easier to fix that but maybe it's not a bug but a feature for some reason I don't understand?

By the way: the map uses different symbols to show if the cache coordinates have been changed. That's helpful. As soon as the cache is in the pocket query on my GPS it is the same symbol as all the other caches of the same type which coordinates haven't been changed. I would like a new symbol in the pocket queries, too, perhaps the question mark changing the colour? So you'll be able to find solved mysterys out in the field better.

Jochen

as in a previous answer - the listing coordinates have a meaning in that sense that if it is a geoart it won't show properly with solved coordinates. that among other things is why I want a choice.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, frostengel said:

The symbol is generated by the GPSr's firmware based on the cache type, it's not a part of the PQ's GPX file.

6 hours ago, captnemo said:

I would like to see Mystery  Caches have their Icon.   They are so different then Challenge Caches .

Do you propose to change the mystery cache icon as challenge caches share the same icon?

Mystery caches have their own icon:

grafik.png.132c18e2cdbd17ea79de98ab7d69246a.png

If it should happen than challenge caches should get a new icon not other way round. But as Groundspeak has just introduced an attribute for the challenge caches I don't think they want to change the icon. A challenge is a mystery for them. :-)

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, frostengel said:

Do you propose to change the mystery cache icon as challenge caches share the same icon?

Mystery caches have their own icon:

grafik.png.132c18e2cdbd17ea79de98ab7d69246a.png

If it should happen than challenge caches should get a new icon not other way round. But as Groundspeak has just introduced an attribute for the challenge caches I don't think they want to change the icon. A challenge is a mystery for them. :-)

The icon for challenge caches could be changed to a flaming hoop.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 4
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The icon for challenge caches could be changed to a flaming hoop.

That would be a rather biased icon. In general, I think the icons should be more neutral.

The current Challenge Cache (attribute) icon is fine:

1577404891_ScreenShot2021-03-05at8_16_04AM.png.e4ab9f3456bf42d077bea41aa0d8dc0a.png

Personally, I think a checkbox (or a couple checkboxes) would describe the challenge caches I've seen and done better than a series of steps, but the series of steps works metaphorically.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see a toggle at least for solved/found puzzles, as an active cache hider, we need to know the physical location of a cache, rather than the bogus coords.... at least our Garmin preserves the solved coordinates after a find, which is very field-useful.....

• Upvote 3

If they were to ever have an option to display an unknown cache at the physical location on the map, it would have to be user provided solution coordinates, not the ones in the system by the cache owner. Otherwise people could claim they found a cache and then walk to the suddenly provided solution coordinates. 

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
9 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

If they were to ever have an option to display an unknown cache at the physical location on the map, it would have to be user provided solution coordinates, not the ones in the system by the cache owner. Otherwise people could claim they found a cache and then walk to the suddenly provided solution coordinates. 

Well, yes. That's how it works now. What we want is the ability to continue seeing the cache at our solved coordinates even after we find it.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, CheekyBrit said:

goes withput saying

• Helpful 1