Ahoy, cachers!

ClayJar

Okay, just a little question here: How many of us have or have access to a canoe or kayak? A couple of us from Louisiana are considering taking a nice, long paddle, and we figured we'd ask to see if there are any other cachers who have a bit of water on the brain. We've basically decided where we're probably going to go, but we were wondering if we should consider other Gulf-area cachers in the plans.

It'd be really cool to have a whole flotilla of geocachers out on the water, and it'd give all of us in the hydrocaching business a chance to meet each other. (I know I've done hydros in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida, and I've never met another cacher on the water.)

Anyway, if anyone's potentially interested in a really fun (and not *too* short) paddling trip, chime in now. Let's see if we can come up with at least a few people. icon_biggrin.gif

'Jar,

Of course, I must chime in here. I am interested in such a trip, although I'm not sure I'd be able to participate.

My job has me working virtually every weekend, which is most likely the time during which this sort of adventure would be planned. Unfortunately, the best time that I'd be available is during the week sometime.

In any case, I'll watch this thread to see if any specific dates are posted and whether or not I might be able to make it.

By the way, I have two large canoes, so in the rare chance that I could make it, I could bring an extra boat for someone who may not have one. Also, I'd probably need a paddling partner, as no one around here that I know likes both paddling and geocaching.

Jamie

Hehe, JZ, if you're VIRTUALLY working, then what's the problem?..hehe, bad joke. Anyway, I don't have a canoe or kayak, but would love to be a paddling partner. I've got the canoeing merit badge, so I wouldn't slow anyone down!!

CJ, where are you thinking about paddling? Just curious, because I know you'd do something crazy like go down the Mississip from BR to the gulf...and back. icon_wink.gif

But you can mark me as interested but unequipped.

-pizzachef

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

Just curious, because I know you'd do something crazy like go down the Mississip from BR to the gulf...and back. icon_wink.gif

PC... actually, that wouldn't be as difficult as you might imagine. The current at the mouth of the river is quite tame. In fact, the section you mention has about the least current of any area on the river. (At least in my experience.) Paddling upstream wouldn't be all that difficult if one stuck to the shoreline.

Jamie

... of course, the kayak is a sit-on-top and not well suited for carrying gear, but great if there's an odd number of folks on a trip.

I've done a ton of overnight trips and one 3-day trip last year. What is your idea of "not *too* short"??? I'm certainly up for it, if the timing works out. I've got an overseas trip coming up and I'll pretty much be unavailable for the rest of the month.

Keep us informed!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and sign up for whatever it is that we're doing. (Pending time/date decisions) We've got two canoes, one fiberglass, one aluminum, and might be able to take both of them although we might have one filled if my dad wants to go.

I got the canoeing merit badge too, a couple years ago icon_wink.gif so if I don't end up with a partner, I'm always glad to paddle with anybody else. Maybe representatives from Southeast Louisiana can talk about it more at the "Founding Father" event cache this weekend. I also think a fleet of cachers would be cool... probably some in canoes, kayaks, rowboats, pool-toys, floaties, etc.

RBDupuy

B8P...

I'm glad you brought that up. The Buffalo is a river I've wanted to paddle for a while. The Mississippi is so tame. icon_wink.gif

Again, I probably won't be able to make it, but if there's a way, I'll be there. And I'll need a paddling partner.

Jamie

quote:

PC... actually, that wouldn't be as difficult as you might imagine. The current at the mouth of the river is quite tame. In fact, the section you mention has about the least current of any area on the river. (At least in my experience.) Paddling upstream wouldn't be all that difficult if one stuck to the shoreline.

Jamie

Well, I never would have thought that. I've only been out in a boat on it once, and it was a motor boat, and we were being pushed around quite a bit by the wind. I figured it ouwld be suicide to get in a little paddle boat. Oh well...

As for the Buffalo River, I'd be all for going up there to canoe...we're actually going climbing next week in the same area icon_wink.gif.

But CJ, you gonna chime in and let us know your idea? What are we blindly getting ourselves into?

-pizzachef

On a seemingly unrelated but related topic, I should be attending a "trial-run-on-the-water" get together for the Louisiana Water Trails project this weekend.

I'm not quite exactly sure what it is, or how it intends to be accomplished, but I'll surely advise here if anything comes of it. The "request for volunteers" I responded to mentioned "Trails need mapping, campsites need building, markers need to be placed" etc...

From what I gather, this has something to do with a big land purchase in the Atchafalaya Basin "North of I-10, North of Henderson, LA" and converting it into a public-access camping-hiking-fishing area.

I'll follow up if anything good-sounding becomes of it. icon_smile.gif

alex

A possible launch window has been detected for Middle Bay Challenge. Forecasts are not yet in, but availability studies indicate that an attempt may be feasible on Memorial Day, May 27, 2002.  If this window may be compatible with your schedules and abilities, please advise mission control via this thread.  More details will be posted as they become available... preliminary forecast expected by Wednesday evening, May 22, 2002 at the latest.

CJ,

It just so happens that I may be able to make that day.

I have to wait until the schedule comes out at work... and then I'll know if I work on Memorial Day or not. Probably I'll have to work, but if I don't, count me in.

Jamie

Unfortunately I'll still be out of town for the weekend.

My schedule has had me busier than expected. I found one micro cache in Amsterdam, one 'couldn' t find it' and one unofficial log of a web cam. I hope to squeeze one more cache search before I return home.

OK, I'm in for Memorial Day, Monday, May 27, 2002. Pending the weather reports of the next few days, icon_rolleyes.gif I'm going to be bringing my aluminum canoe, and maybe I'll have my new Vista by then. (I don't know, I hear the Yellow Etrex might float better icon_wink.gif ) I guess I'll be soliciting a paddling partner for the trip as it appears to be 6+ miles each leg. Closer to time, I imagine we'll make more details, but I guess it would be fruitless until it's a "GO." Last time I was out there (an attempt at Delta Dash) the early morning fog was BAD, but I'd still like to get out there as early as possible.

Don't know if ya'll got around to the boat trip, but obviously I wasn't able to make it.

It being Memorial Day, and my current employer is a vacation destination, I usually have to work holidays, and this day was no exception.

Coincidently, two days following Memorial Day, I was caching in Louisiana.

As far as paddling upstream on the Mississippi: After having traveled the length of the Mississippi during the last three weeks on a motorcycle and witnessing the extreme high water, I retract my earlier statement that paddling upstream wouldn't be very difficult. With the massive amount of water flowing, the Mississippi has a much stronger current then the previous experiences I've had with the river, which led to my original statement.

Jamie

Did you bayou cachers make your water trip? I would have loved to join you, but it's a long trip from Cornelius, North Carolina. I have gone to Gulf Shores, Alabama for a paddle trip.

Sound like you guys enjoy hydro-caching as much as I do. My first cache conceived is on an island in Lake Norman, North Carolina (see Waterworld (GC3F4F)). A more recent cache I've hidden requires swimming (see Watercolors (GC43DD)). The oldest geocache in North Carolina (see Octopus' Garden (GC70)), which I adopted, is currently on an island. And my July event-cache Beat the Heat (GC5DF1) incorporates some mountain lake paddling. So why not come to North Carolina for some hydro-caching icon_cool.gif !

12645_800.gif

[This message was edited by The_Mariner on June 07, 2002 at 10:51 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The_Mariner:

Did you bayou cachers make your water trip?

Yep. Sure did. (It was quite fun.)

quote:
Originally posted by The_Mariner:

Sound like you guys enjoy hydro-caching as much as I do.

Hehe, I found 7 of 8 on my trip to Georgia (including 6/7 in one day). *That* was fun. icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, the MIddle Bay WAS quite the challenge! Even though the cache was gone, I'd like to see the site be marked as a "virtual." Unlikely as it may be to attract repeat customers (at least the hard way) it was a great adventure, and quite a experience once we got there. You should read the reports on the cache page, if you haven't already.

I read a couple of your caches, Mariner, they sound like a trip and were I in the neighborhood, they wouldn't stand a chance icon_wink.gif and I feel confident that I can speak for at least a few of the other LA hydrocachers, too, I'm sure. Actually they sound like a lot of fun, it's just unfortunate that I don't have any plans to get over there in the near future, I'd love to give them a try.

quote:
Originally posted by rbdupuy:

I'd like to see the site be marked as a "virtual." Unlikely as it may be to attract repeat customers (at least the hard way) it was a great adventure, and quite a experience once we got there.

Well, um... now that I've done it once with someone, I'm thinking about heading back out there sooner or later to try it again. (Apparently, I'm just about as crazy as some people here have been thinking.)

I am brand new and shiny to geocaching but stumbled onto this thread and am interested in possible canoe trips. I am located in Jackson, MS and have a 14' canoe. Spend most of my time on lakes and lazy rivers. After hectic work weeks I prefer to take things slow. I a trip in south MS or LA or AR works out I am interested.

quote:
I'm here because I'm not all there icon_razz.gif