Standalone CHIRP devices?

WadleClan

I've been reading through old posts about CHIRP caches.  I may have missed one that helps with my problem, but most were dated quite a few years ago and I wondered if there was updated information.  We have a few CHIRP caches in our area, I would love to find, if possible.  There are alternative workarounds, but it would still be neat to use the technology.  My cell phone is not ANT+ compatible.  The hardware is not present.  I double-checked on the phone's specs.  We use that for our GPS unit, as it is a rugged phone and otherwise has all we need and can withstand my clumsiness when I accidentally launch it.  So we do not have a dedicated Garmin GPS.  Are there any standalone CHIRP units to purchase?  If that is even a thing?  If not, then I will either pass on these caches, or do the workarounds.  Still, it would be neat if possible.  My boys get a kick out of the gadgets.  Thanks for any help!

Have never run across one (standalone) before.  You don't say what flavor of phone you've got, but as an iPhone example, check what Zwift has to offer in the way of ANT+ dongles that can be connected directly to the phone.  There are probably ones for Android as well.  You'll find that companies supplying ANT+ capable fitness products are/were selling these to get the phone connected.

59 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Have never run across one (standalone) before.  You don't say what flavor of phone you've got, but as an iPhone example, check what Zwift has to offer in the way of ANT+ dongles that can be connected directly to the phone.  There are probably ones for Android as well.  You'll find that companies supplying ANT+ capable fitness products are/were selling these to get the phone connected.

For an Android phone or tablet, yes, it can work with an ANT+dongle and whatever it takes to connect it, such as an OTG USB adapter if it doesn't plug in directly.  And you need three "ANT+ Apps" and "Services", two of which install without a menu icon and run all the time.  I don't highly recommend this plan, but that's how it works. 

The good news is, if it's a Samsung phone might have ANT+ hardware built-in, so all you need are the Apps & Services.  But I have one of their latest tablets and it doesn't have ANT+ hardware.  Previous tablets did.  

I never found the iPhone Apps that specifically support Chirp, except that here's a thread from 11 years ago:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/263872-chirp-support-for-iphone/

Edited by kunarion
45 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

I have a Samsung with ANT+.  The above ideas were for the OP, who notes "My cell phone is not ANT+ compatible."

Yes, discussions around here may apply to the OP's question, not to everyone who posts in the thread.  This issue will be specific to the phone model, so the OP will either need to reveal that information, or look it up and try it.

Having a Samsung phone is a simple way to have Chirp capability.  But the Apps don't see "ANT+" in my Samsung S7 Galaxy Tablet, Apps being one of the fastest ways to test for that feature.  Another way is to search by the exact Samsung model (only in the case of Samsung), and drill down to the Spec chart:  Product Help & Support | Samsung CA

I tried Chirp years ago with my ancient Acer A500 with the dongle and the Apps, and that was OK.  The USB ANT+ dongles commonly have the big USB-A plug, my tablet had that connection.  The other times were with the older Samsung tablets which have the circuitry built-in.

The Android phone Apps for Chirp aren't well-polished, and when you install one, the App complains that another App isn't there.  Install that one, and you need another.  Most recently, I first installed "Chirp Wolf" which listed what was installed and what was needed.  The Apps then try to find the hardware, and will give an error if the hardware doesn't exist.

7 hours ago, WadleClan said:

Are there any standalone CHIRP units to purchase?  If that is even a thing?

The advantage of Chirp is not needing to type the data and the new waypoint into the GPS, it's loaded from the nearby Chirp device.  It might be cool to have an inexpensive little keychain receiver that just displays the data, but I don't know of one.

1 hour ago, WadleClan said:

Sorry, totally forgot to mention my phone.  I have an Android model, a Blackview 5900.  I will have to look for the dongle then.  That may be the key.  Thanks!

You won't know if your phone can even function with Chirp unless you buy that dongle.  So look for a cheap one.  I see some on ebay for about $13.

My Blackview phone requires the Awesome Extra Special Accessories designed to fit into the built-in rugged case.  Special extra-long plug headset adapter (I had to find a suitable one and modify it!), extra-length USB plug, stuff like that.  If yours is the same, enjoy the research!  :P

Edited by kunarion
13 hours ago, kunarion said:

You won't know if your phone can even function with Chirp unless you buy that dongle.  So look for a cheap one.  I see some on ebay for about $13.

My Blackview phone requires the Awesome Extra Special Accessories designed to fit into the built-in rugged case.  Special extra-long plug headset adapter (I had to find a suitable one and modify it!), extra-length USB plug, stuff like that.  If yours is the same, enjoy the research!  :P

Yeah, my old Blackview was the same with all the extra long adapters.  Fortunately, the newer versions fixed that and are normal length again.  That was torture!  Good idea about a cheap one.  Time to start searching.  Thanks!

Edited by WadleClan
  • Helpful 1