Image formatting using WYSIWYG editor is lost when you reopen editing

daywalk

So I'm using the WYSIWYG editor and formatting an image - download it, choose a suitable width, hspace, vspace, align to right or left of the text, add an alt text title... save and preview.. all looks as I  want it to.

BUT THEN...  once I re-open the cache page for more editing, the image formatting is lost. I end up with the image I downloaded at full size, sitting in the middle of the page, and I have to go through the whole reformatting again, and save it again. Only to lose the formatting the next time I re-edit the page...

So I switched to html, formatted the image in html, and saved. Then reopened the editing, all okay still. Then switched to WYSIWYG... all formatting lost again.

I have also noticed that a cache page I did in WYSIWYG was okay for a while, but a few wweksa later it has lost its image formatting even though I haven't opened the page for re-editing. 

This is very frustrating, because I add a lot of photos to my cache writeups and like to get the images set out nicely beside each paragraph of text.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? Is there a way to save the image formatting in WYSIWYG? Or is this a permanent fault?  Do I just have to go back to using html for cache page writeups?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The WYSIWYG editor is not as capable as the HTML that HQ considers allowable. If you use the visual editor, you'll have to adjust and accommodate to limited display functionality. Otherwise, you'll have to accept editing the HTML source, and previewing the result on the final listing after saving each change.  It's tedious, for people who know HTML and what the listings permit to be saved.  But at least there's that warning when switching to WYSIWYG that formatting may be lost.

Thanks thebruce - but this is a situation where I was trying to do everything using the WYSIWYG editor.

I don't understand how image formatting done in the WYSIWYG editor saves, looks fine, but then the formatting disappears if you reopen for editing still in WYSIWYG.

Looks like I will just have to go back to html editing.

The visual editor attempts to format what you've written in the HTML. Because the visual editor has less capability than the HTML that's allowed to be saved, switching to visual will strip unknown or disallowed HTML, which is why when you switch back some aspects of the HTML you wrote will be removed or changed around.

Again, you don't want to use the WYSIWYG editor unless you're doing very basic formatting. Otherwise you'll need to stay in the source HTML editor, and preview the results by saving the listing and viewing the final display. I tend to keep two tabs open, one for the html editing (and saving) and the other just to refresh the listing view to make sure it looks how I want it. I avoid the WYSIWYG editor unless I'm doing a very very basic listing.

I faced the same bug the moment when HQ made a white-list of image hosting services allowed on cache pages. I would recommend that you just use an external WISYWYG editor where this problem doesn't occur. That is my workaround, as the built-in editor can only handle basics (i.e. div formatting is not preserved). If you need a recommendation I can send a site I;m using in PM.

You can use an external editor, as long as you keep in mind that saving the HTML itself will also strip away some content and re-adjust the html. It's kind of complex. You do need to save and view the result on the listing itself to see if the website permits the HTML you've created. An external visual editor will get you so far, but you could still end up with a visual that you didn't intend if you only copy and paste the html into the listing.

But it's a good start if you need that visual layout functionality, and then tweak it once you start saving it to the listing.

Edited by thebruce0