Deleting or clearing recent find list on an Oregon 750

mty55

When I go to the recent find list I see geocaches that I found years ago. I have to scroll to the bottom of the long list to find the "recent caches". I don't see any option to clear the list on the unit. Is there a way to periodically refresh this list and eliminate the oldies.

Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no option to clear the list on the unit. Garmin won't let us do this as well as they won't let us delete individual caches from the unit without using your PC. Connect your device to your PC, all finds are written to the geocache_visits.txt on the device. Open this file, you will see all the caches found as well as the date you found them. You can delete individual caches (e.g. all caches before 2021), or you can delete the file. The device will create a new geocache_visits.txt.

grafik.png.c4dbf3f65512040e601fb937c20f7382.png

Edited by Henne1312
1 hour ago, Henne1312 said:

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no option to clear the list on the unit. Garmin won't let us do this as well as they won't let us delete individual caches from the unit without using your PC. Connect your device to your PC, all finds are written to the geocache_visits.txt on the device. Open this file, you will see all the caches found as well as the date you found them. You can delete individual caches (e.g. all caches before 2021), or you can delete the file. The device will create a new geocache_visits.txt.

grafik.png.c4dbf3f65512040e601fb937c20f7382.png

That was the first route I took trying to clear the list . I just did it again cleared the list of cache visits. The dozen or so I found within the last week were still on the 750 plus all the old ones. They must be imbedded in the file system somewhere I just haven't found it yet. The baffling thing about it. This is a new unit and all the old finds on the recent list were on the 750 before I even took it out for the first cache, and before the  geocache_visits.txt was even created. Has to be here someplace.

Thanx

4 hours ago, mty55 said:

When I go to the recent find list I see geocaches that I found years ago. I have to scroll to the bottom of the long list to find the "recent caches". I don't see any option to clear the list on the unit. Is there a way to periodically refresh this list and eliminate the oldies.

Thanks

If you mean files that you have previously loaded:

Delete the cache GPX files from the [DRIVE]:/Garmin/GPX folder GPS, and load fresh Pocket Queries that filter out caches "I haven't Found".  The New Search Page (for Lists) has a similar filter.  Or now load fresh individual GPX files for caches that you have not found.  Whatever your process is.

With GPX files that don't contain caches you've found, you won't see them after you turn the GPS back on.

If you mean caches that are shown in real time using Geocaching Live, there's a filter selection on the GPS to stop showing particular categories of caches.

Here's a good web site that can be very helpful for managing your GPS:

https://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon 7x0/index.htm

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

If you mean files that you have previously loaded:

Delete the cache GPX files from the [DRIVE]:/Garmin/GPX folder GPS, and load fresh Pocket Queries that filter out caches "I haven't Found".  The New Search Page (for Lists) has a similar filter.  Or now load fresh individual GPX files for caches that you have not found.  Whatever your process is.

With GPX files that don't contain caches you've found, you won't see them after you turn the GPS back on.

If you mean caches that are shown in real time using Geocaching Live, there's a filter selection on the GPS to stop showing particular categories of caches.

Here's a good web site that can be very helpful for managing your GPS:

https://www.gpsrchive.com/Oregon 7x0/index.htm

I managed to clear the recent list. I went to: Setup > Geocaching > Geocaching Live > Remove Live Data. and the recent list was gone.  Now time will tell the next time I find a cache will the recent finds list repopulate again with just the most recent finds.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, mty55 said:

I managed to clear the recent list. I went to: Setup > Geocaching > Geocaching Live > Remove Live Data. and the recent list was gone.  Now time will tell the next time I find a cache will the recent finds list repopulate again with just the most recent finds.

All worked out well Auto Logged the cache I found tonight, worked as it should . The went to the recent finds on the 750 and that cache was the only cache on the list.