Notification Cache in poor health

chtiquicache

5 hours ago, chtiquicache said:

Could you explain to me the utility of declaring to the owner a cache "In poor health"

Hi,

this cache has four founds and six DNFs after two months of being published. And as not every cacher logs DNFs the not found rate might be even higher.

Your owner maintenance doesn't say anything to me but perhaps it is just my rusty French: what does "RAS" mean?

So why not post a better note (with textual content) and think about the difficulty (the higher the rating the more DNFs are allowed until the CHS gets too low) instead of complaining that the cache has a low CHS after four consequent DNFs?

Jochen

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, frostengel said:

Salut

ce cache a quatre trouvés et six DNFs après deux mois d’être publié. Et comme tous les journaux cacher DNFs le taux non trouvé pourrait être encore plus élevé.

Votre entretien propriétaire ne me dit rien, mais peut-être que c’est juste mon Français rouillé: qu’est-ce que « RAS » signifie?

Alors pourquoi ne pas afficher une meilleure note (avec du contenu textuel) et penser à la difficulté (plus la cote est élevée, plus les FND sont autorisés jusqu’à ce que la SCH soit trop basse) au lieu de se plaindre que le cache a un faible CSC après quatre FND conséquents?

Jochen

Bonjour,
définition RAS du dictionnaire Larouse « Rien à signaler » en d’autres termes en France, cela signifie que tout va bien.
Le cache est en difficulté 2.5, voir les photos

Franchement sur 5 m² ça
ne vaut pas plus Pour moi, un cache de niveau 3 est le suivant :

Défi : un géocacher expérimenté y trouvera un bon défi. Peut prendre quelques heures

J’ai 70 caches de pose, 64 différentes sur qui j’ai travaillé. Pas une seule boîte de film au pied d’un arbre.

J’ai vu qu’avec la situation actuelle, en particulier sur les séries, les géocachers ne passent pas plus de 15 minutes sur un cache et déclarent un DNF. Leur objectif est d’en faire le plus possible avant le couvre-feu actuel de 18 .m est actuellement en cause, covid

1 Acces cache 9.JPG

Cache #9.JPG

Cache #9 (2).JPG

DSC_0007 (2).JPG

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

3 Spot faux a gauche.JPG

27 minutes ago, chtiquicache said:

définition RAS du dictionnaire Larouse « Rien à signaler »

Ah, merci bien pour l'information!

But can we talk English now, please? How did you do that - quote my English spoken post in French? :-)

This one looks difficult if many leaves (or snow) are covering the ground. This might explain the many DNFs.

I don't know why you have used the snow attribute here ("availabe in winter" doesn't match the picture too perfectly - with the snow flake it should be "available with snow"). I don't think you have good chances to find the cache if it is covored in snow.

Keystone has given you the right information - the mail was sent before your log - but I still think you could use the (wrongly sent?) mail to rethink the cache. Or do you want a found it quote lower than 50 percent? If not there are several ways to help the cachers finding it, give a hint for example?

That's a nice spot in the forest and I hope it doesn't get destroyed by the non-finders searching this hide. Micro without hint in the forest....

• Helpful 1
54 minutes ago, chtiquicache said:

Bonjour,
définition RAS du dictionnaire Larouse « Rien à signaler » en d’autres termes en France, cela signifie que tout va bien.
Le cache est en difficulté 2.5, voir les photos

Franchement sur 5 m² ça
ne vaut pas plus Pour moi, un cache de niveau 3 est le suivant :

Défi : un géocacher expérimenté y trouvera un bon défi. Peut prendre quelques heures

J’ai 70 caches de pose, 64 différentes sur qui j’ai travaillé. Pas une seule boîte de film au pied d’un arbre.

J’ai vu qu’avec la situation actuelle, en particulier sur les séries, les géocachers ne passent pas plus de 15 minutes sur un cache et déclarent un DNF. Leur objectif est d’en faire le plus possible avant le couvre-feu actuel de 18 .m est actuellement en cause, covid

1 Acces cache 9.JPG

Cache #9.JPG

Cache #9 (2).JPG

DSC_0007 (2).JPG

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

3 Spot faux a gauche.JPG

Hello,
RAS definition from the Larouse dictionary "Nothing to report" in other words in France, it means that all is well.
The cache is in difficulty 2.5, see the photos
Frankly on 5 m² that
not worth more For me, a level 3 cache is:
Challenge: an experienced geocacher will find it a good challenge. May take a few hours
I have 70 pose caches, 64 different ones that I've worked on. Not a single box of film at the foot of a tree.
I have seen that with the current situation, especially on the series, geocachers do not spend more than 15 minutes on a cache and declare a DNF. 
Their goal is to do as much as possible before the current 18 .m curfew is currently in question, covid
3 hours ago, frostengel said:

But can we talk English now, please? How did you do that - quote my English spoken post in French? :-)

2 hours ago, chtiquicache said:

Hello, for me, systematically all texts not written in French are directly and automatically translated. Probably a configuration of my computer but, for the moment, I am still enrolled in the courses "computer for dummies, so I can not explain.

Yep. Chrome has this feature. When the feature is enabled, it will translate pages written in languages you don't read into your preferred language. I've noticed that it works for forum threads early on, when everything is in the same language. As posts appear in other languages, Chrome decides that the page doesn't need translating.

3 hours ago, chtiquicache said:

Hello, for me, systematically all texts not written in French are directly and automatically translated.

That's helpful for sure. So we are talking (perfect :-)) French for you? Great! I always wanted to be able to. I learned the French five years in school but I am not able to speak it. That's so sad. :-(

Sorry, this was offtopic. I am sending my best regards from Germany to our neighbour country

Jochen

35 minutes ago, frostengel said:

That's helpful for sure. So we are talking (perfect :-)) French for you? Great! I always wanted to be able to. I learned the French five years in school but I am not able to speak it. That's so sad. :-(

Sorry, this was offtopic. I am sending my best regards from Germany to our neighbour country

Jochen

Here, even if for me it was not necessary, I followed your advice,
 I added a clue to the cache. Now if this is to make caches with a red flag on them so as not to have DNF and "cache unhealthy" notification,
 I don't know if I will finish the 20 additional cache trail that I started.
Greetings Xavier
  • Upvote 1

Hi Xavier,

I don't think giving a hint changes anything about the cache health score (CHS) but the numbers of DNFs definitely does. And a hint should reduce this number as long as everything is intact. :-)

I think with easier caches (low difficulty, low terrain) the CHS drops faster as the cache is expected to be found more easy. So in fact one might argue that a cache without a hint should be easier to find giving it a lower CHS (!) but I don't think it works that way.

In all the time since this score exists it never was too low for any of my caches. If too many DNFs occur I disable the cache (resetting the CHS??) and look for it as soon as I have time.

The CHS system might not be perfect but it's a nice idea. And you get an e-mail first so nobody notices (if you do something then as you did). I think that's better as if the reviewer has to nag you publically via log.

Don't let you discourage by this incident. If you still have good ideas for caches publish them. Your hide shown above seems to be a nice one. :-)

Jochen

PS: I am not sure but I think you can check the CHS via https://www.geocaching.com/play/owner/ or at least find out if one CHS is getting dangerously low?!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, frostengel said:

That's a nice spot in the forest and I hope it doesn't get destroyed by the non-finders searching this hide. Micro without hint in the forest....

This is one of the reasons behind the "no buried caches" guideline.  An exception is allowed if the cache owner obtains express permission from the land owner or land manager, and mentions this on the cache page.  Unfortunately, my translation of the French cache description does not mention anything about permission for the manner in which this cache is hidden.

When i search for a cache, I try not to make assumptions that would limit the places I look at.  One assumption that I do make is that the cache complies with the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.  At this spot, I would have logged a DNF.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 3
14 hours ago, Keystone said:

This is one of the reasons behind the "no buried caches" guideline.  An exception is allowed if the cache owner obtains express permission from the land owner or land manager, and mentions this on the cache page.  Unfortunately, my translation of the French cache description does not mention anything about permission for the manner in which this cache is hidden.

When i search for a cache, I try not to make assumptions that would limit the places I look at.  One assumption that I do make is that the cache complies with the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.  At this spot, I would have logged a DNF.

Hello,
We do not have the same understanding of the verb to bury.
In France, "Bury" The action of putting underground, for that you have to use a tool, in short! I will fix the problem. I am therefore going to remove or replace the container with a beautiful box of film (this will be my first, I was keen to make only artisanal and different containers). Anyway, the answer is off topic! Thank you and have a good Sunday, take good care of all of you

11 hours ago, chtiquicache said:

Hello,
We do not have the same understanding of the verb to bury.
In France, "Bury" The action of putting underground, for that you have to use a tool, in short! I will fix the problem. I am therefore going to remove or replace the container with a beautiful box of film (this will be my first, I was keen to make only artisanal and different containers). Anyway, the answer is off topic! Thank you and have a good Sunday, take good care of all of you

There is no mention in the Geocache Hiding Guidelines of having to "use a tool" in order for a cache to be considered "buried."  The issue is making a hole to hold a container.  Here is the exact text, in English:  "Do not bury geocaches, either partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache."

In any event, thank you in advance for removing or replacing your container so that your cache meets the Geocache Hiding Guidelines.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Keystone said:

Il n’est pas fait mention dans les Lignes directrices sur la dissimulation geocache d’avoir à « utiliser un outil » pour qu’un cache soit considéré comme « enterré ». Le problème est de faire un trou pour tenir un conteneur. Voici le texte exact, en anglais: « N’enterrez pas les géocaches, partiellement ou complètement. Vous ne devez pas créer un trou dans le sol pour placer ou trouver une géocache.

Quoi qu’il en soit, merci d’avance d’avoir supprimé ou remplacé votre conteneur afin que votre cache réponde aux directives geocache hiding.

Thank you for your response and for adding text.
Here is the exact text, in English:
"Do not bury geocaches, partially or completely. You must not create a hole in the ground to place or find a geocache."
I understood correctly and therefore I should not have changed my container, because I did not make a hole and it was not necessary to dig to find the cache.
In the forest, there are enough natural cavities without creating one.