Finding lost pictures

Wet_Ground

Maybe  I'm not getting it, and others feel differently, but if I needed image links to solve a mystery/puzzle cache, and they're kaput, I'd leave a NM and move on. 

It's just a cache.    :)

I couldn't find "image shack" in the list of Hosting Services.    Another option is directly to Geocaching.com.   

By the site  "All other images will be blocked to protect other players from advertising and other browser cookies."

The only possibility I can think of is the Archive.org Wayback Machine, but I don't know if they indexed Image Shack.

I agree with the 3-headed one: NM on the cache.

I'll go a step further: if there's already been a NM flag for a long time (a month or more), I'd log an NA. It's the CO's responsibility to maintain the listing, including the image links. Something as fundamental as required images on a puzzle cache must be maintained for the cache to be found. If they haven't done so (Image Shack links have been dead for quite a while, I think) with other NM promptings already, they probably aren't going to.

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe  I'm not getting it, and others feel differently, but if I needed image links to solve a mystery/puzzle cache, and they're kaput, I'd leave a NM and move on. 

It's just a cache.    :)

I couldn't find "image shack" in the list of Hosting Services.    Another option is directly to Geocaching.com.   

By the site  "All other images will be blocked to protect other players from advertising and other browser cookies."

The image was not on the actual GC site.

I guess I can't be the one who "saves" the cache... 

On 2/25/2021 at 4:25 AM, Wet_Ground said:

I guess I can't be the one who "saves" the cache... 

I have that mentality as well, of wanting to jump in and fix things when I see issues. There's a local cache here in Darwin with the same issue - the cache page was just an image which now does not show (cache is/was GC1Z3RX). Last logged find was April 2018, image went missing from the cache page sometime between September 2018 and March 2020. I logged a NM on 11 Jan this year, then a NA 11 Feb. The local reviewer quickly responded and disabled the cache the same day.

I feel that if the CO didn't check on their cache in nearly three years then it's best to remove that cache from play. If it was a missing cache container, then I'll sometimes reach out to the CO to see if they would like me to replace the physical container (happened a few times due to people being stuck out of the area due to covid border closures) but if there is a problem with the cache page then community maintenance isn't possible without an active CO. Even adoption isn't possible without an active CO.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Unit473L said:

I have that mentality as well, of wanting to jump in and fix things when I see issues. There's a local cache here in Darwin with the same issue - the cache page was just an image which now does not show (cache is/was GC1Z3RX). Last logged find was April 2018, image went missing from the cache page sometime between September 2018 and March 2020. I logged a NM on 11 Jan this year, then a NA 11 Feb. The local reviewer quickly responded and disabled the cache the same day.

I feel that if the CO didn't check on their cache in nearly three years then it's best to remove that cache from play. If it was a missing cache container, then I'll sometimes reach out to the CO to see if they would like me to replace the physical container (happened a few times due to people being stuck out of the area due to covid border closures) but if there is a problem with the cache page then community maintenance isn't possible without an active CO. Even adoption isn't possible without an active CO.

I think there's a difference between checking on a cache and checking on a cache PAGE.

Why would someone expect that their webpage might be broken? If someone reads all the logs when they come in through email, it's entirely possible that they never go to their cache's webpage.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1