Different standards in a category

vulture1957

I saw a couple new waymarks posted (that means accepted by The Powers That Be) in Photo Goals. Looking at them, I was kind of pissed that my previous waymark submissions had been declined, yet these had been approved.

Well, I saw a new one that had you stand barefoot in the snow. I thought "Ok, how about writing your name in the snow" and submitted it. Not very different than standing in the snow. And here is the declination I got --

"Your waymark, Write your name in a fresh field of snow, has been denied for the following reason:

Your waymark was voted on by the category managers, here are comments made about your waymark by them: Initial vote call comment:Maybe it's just me but, meh... Where's the goal? Vote comments: [nay] Maybe it's just me but, meh... Where's the goal? Now, if it was spell it out using your feet and take a drone photo...SURE! "

So it seems that there are more than one standard in deciding acceptability in that category. Another one to add to my "BlackList"

6 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I saw a couple new waymarks posted (that means accepted by The Powers That Be) in Photo Goals. Looking at them, I was kind of pissed that my previous waymark submissions had been declined, yet these had been approved.

Well, I saw a new one that had you stand barefoot in the snow. I thought "Ok, how about writing your name in the snow" and submitted it. Not very different than standing in the snow. And here is the declination I got --

"Your waymark, Write your name in a fresh field of snow, has been denied for the following reason:

Your waymark was voted on by the category managers, here are comments made about your waymark by them: Initial vote call comment:Maybe it's just me but, meh... Where's the goal? Vote comments: [nay] Maybe it's just me but, meh... Where's the goal? Now, if it was spell it out using your feet and take a drone photo...SURE! "

So it seems that there are more than one standard in deciding acceptability in that category. Another one to add to my "BlackList"

I had the exact same reaction that you did. 

18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I had the exact same reaction that you did. 

my last submission pointed out part of the category description that goes something like "The action should cause onlookers to shake their heads and think 'What's that goof up to'." I accepted that. Then these latest submissions were approved, and once again, mine is declined. "Wear your best suit", a real head shaker. Watch an eclipse, gee stand still! Whee! Make a tower of rocks. Photo with something of female rights (now that is very open to interpretation). Mirror yourself in water - really hard to do.

I noticed that one of these waymarks was published by an officer, and not sent to a group vote as what is explicitly stated in the category description. Not sure why it was never sent to a vote.

After seeing that "stick you feet in snow" got approved, it made me think what could be a fun and accessible photo goal for everyone. It never snows where I live (heck it was 80º F today) so I could never log that waymark (at least without traveling and good timing). One idea that came to mind is to take a selfie wearing a face mask. We all have them, so why not show off our favorite one? But atlas, it got denied. It is hard coming up with good enough ideas that will please the officers.

Edited by bluesnote
6 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

I noticed that one of these waymarks was published by an officer, and not sent to a group vote as what is explicitly stated in the category description. Not sure why it was never sent to a vote.

After seeing that "stick you feet in snow" got approved, it made me think what could be a fun and accessible photo goal for everyone. It never snows where I live (heck it was 80º F today) so I could never log that waymark (at least without traveling and good timing). 

You could cheat and do what so many other people do and just show a picture of someone else meeting the goal. ☹️

I'm kidding about doing it but I'm not kidding about how many people think that counts as a visit. 

11 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

After seeing that "stick you feet in snow" got approved, it made me think what could be a fun and accessible photo goal for everyone. It never snows where I live (heck it was 80º F today) so I could never log that waymark (at least without traveling and good timing). One idea that came to mind is to take a selfie wearing a face mask. We all have them, so why not show off our favorite one? But atlas, it got denied. It is hard coming up with good enough ideas that will please the officers.

they accepted "Wear a suit". maybe I should do "Wear your favorite swim suit" or "Make a tower of sticks"

Edited by vulture1957

I am officer of this category and it was a mistake to approve alone waymarks in this category, but as we used to have few submissions i did not remember about the vote, it's not an excuse just a fact.

I understand that is offensive that an idea declined in the past has been approved, the problem of this category is that you have to check all waymarks approved to see if the goal does not exist, it would be really difficult to check also all past activities

The problem of the vote is inactivity of a lot of officers and i understand that "wear your favorite sweats" does not improve credibility of our job and of the category...

• Surprised 1
8 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I am officer of this category and it was a mistake to approve alone waymarks in this category, but as we used to have few submissions i did not remember about the vote, it's not an excuse just a fact.

I understand that is offensive that an idea declined in the past has been approved, the problem of this category is that you have to check all waymarks approved to see if the goal does not exist, it would be really difficult to check also all past activities

The problem of the vote is inactivity of a lot of officers and i understand that "wear your favorite sweats" does not improve credibility of our job and of the category...

so why does "make a tower of rocks", "wear a suit"  and "Bare feet in snow" make it as good photo goals?? Crazy fun things?? Dare ya?? But you weenies accepted them!

Maybe I should have written my name in the snow in urine. That would have been a Dare Ya.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Funny 1
8 hours ago, Alfouine said:

the problem of this category is that you have to check all waymarks approved to see if the goal does not exist, it would be really difficult to check also all past activities

I can understand that, but it sure would be a good thing to do. How many reviews total are we talking about? 98 approved waymarks, but how many total reviewed?

On a side note: I wish the photo goals with live wild animals would not be permitted. Just my opinion.

52 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I can understand that, but it sure would be a good thing to do. How many reviews total are we talking about? 98 approved waymarks, but how many total reviewed?

and of those 98, about a third do not make the "crazy, eye rolling/dare ya" criteria. Bare feet in snow, wear a suit; watch an eclipse, tower of pebbles; female empowerment; mirror in water; wear a sport jersey; wear a christmas sweater; be in a toy building competition; hang your feet in an aquarium; write something on your frosted car window; eat pie; imitate a movie actor; show the motion; photo with a mask; hold your collection; write your name in a natural way; take a closer look; picture in a costume; photo with a turkey decoy; performing your job (real Dare ya/Crazy here); odometer 123456; what's your passion; collect hailstones; 100,000 mile odometer; picture in a wild west outfit (jeans and a cowboy hat); imitate Escher; go to a concert; photo in front of a news van; photo with your pet; picture with a VW bus; pumpkin patch; show your colors; street sign with your name.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Funny 1
Just now, vulture1957 said:

and of those 98, about a third do not make the "crazy, eye rolling/dare ya" criteria. Bare feet in snow, wear a suit; watch an eclipse, tower of pebbles; female empowerment; mirror in water; wear a sport jersey; wear a christmas sweater; be in a toy building competition; hang your feet in an aquarium; eat pie; imitate a movie actor; show the motion; photo with a mask; hold your collection; write your name in a natural way; take a closer look; picture in a costume; photo with a turkey decoy; performing your job (real Dare ya/Crazy here); odometer 123456; what's your passion; collect hailstones; 100,000 mile odometer; picture in a wild west outfit (jeans and a cowboy hat); imitate Escher; go to a concert; photo in front of a news van; photo with your pet; picture with a VW bus; pumpkin patch; show your colors; street sign with your name.

298 total reviews. And many of them are multiple reviews of the same waymark. Maybe the officers can find a volunteer to make a list of what's been submitted, approved, and declined. 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

298 total reviews. And many of them are multiple reviews of the same waymark. Maybe the officers can find a volunteer to make a list of what's been submitted, approved, and declined. 

we can see what's been approved, and can see that the category requirements have NOT been held to for many of those.

I have 2 more ideas. I will be out soon to take pictures. I will submit them both together. If they pass, I'm done. If they fail -- I'm DONE.

(although, I still think I ought to do "Wear your favorite sweat suit" just to see how they explain that as not acceptable after "Wear your best suit" passed.)

Edited by vulture1957
  • Funny 1

I'm still waiting on an answer to my question -- Why does a pile of rocks and writing on your windshield make the grade for a photo goal, but my write your name in the snow didn't? Come on, there must be officers from that category (besides Alfouine) that can answer this. Come on, you goobers that voted against it. Fess up.

• Funny 1

and I'm still waiting .... and waiting ... and waiting.  I guess the category officers just don't give a crap that we can see that they don't use the same criteria for submissions from different waymarkers. Maybe they are getting money from folks to publish??

• Funny 1