Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Statistics and Milestones) - February 16, 2021

With today’s release, Premium members can now view their current geocaching streak, Difficulty and Terrain Grid, and caching milestones in the Geocaching® app.

When Premium members navigate to the Profile screen, they will see a new option for Statistics.

P1RWT08fHR-uffssj0168inwgoe4c8itGuBQoch0

Tapping this will launch the Statistics view, opening the Statistics tab, and displaying your personal Difficulty and Terrain grid. This provides a historical view of your progress completing the Difficulty and Terrain grid.

sNxMUcf2ZbeeBdzK6yu9OJVLmrKXEyHUVc1VbXMD

Directly above the Difficulty and Terrain, we have introduced a Streak Card. This card updates in a manner that corresponds with your caching behavior. For example:

If you have not cached today, and are not a streak;

VehQR663-ev55P-cMR4en7LSWyS4fakQh77Nxgfk

If you have not cached yet today, and are on a streak;

ZktRaLHdc-pexJMnkAtSeG-rJWtigrfokrGPFkPy

If you have cached today, and are on a streak;

9qhZfCLCFBC3V1p167D_ZU-cRYscUY4l2UuMOv5w

Tapping the Milestone view opens a list view which displays the caches logged that earned each Milestone. If a cache is later archived or disabled, that cache line item is greyed out. Each milestone icon corresponds to the design of the Milestone pins available in the Geocaching Shop.  

2zG7XRVolCv2GdEC37Gv13MBcqFhloXfZFNF-nZD

We are eager to hear your feedback on this new feature, and what you would like to see added to it in the future.

Brendan (brendanjw) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Cach5737 said:

I just checked and stats not showing on my iphone mobile app. Any advice?

CACH5737

Hi CACH5737, 

Thanks for the follow up.  Do you see a line item on your Profile page that has a label titled "Statistics".  If you can also check your app version for me by tapping "More" then tapping version info that would be great.  We will figure out what the issue is.

Best,

Brendanjw

I updated the Android app to the 10 feb. 2021 version and there are no stats/milestones under Profile

It is mentioned in the release notes so it should be the version that supports the stats/milestones.

I've also tried closing the app, removing it from memory and starting it again.

Screenshot_20210216_201953_com.android.vending.thumb.jpg.8d4158ad69aa99869e5c501b0eec9396.jpgScreenshot_20210216_202009_com.groundspeak.geocaching.intro.thumb.jpg.54d9f7b2ea79513fabfb95102715478e.jpgScreenshot_20210216_202237_com.groundspeak.geocaching.intro.thumb.jpg.c2537322827c3c8ebbca1f04227efee9.jpg

Edited by ardila.nl
5 minutes ago, Cach5737 said:

I just checked and stats not showing on my iphone mobile app. Any advice?

CACH5737

I don't see it either on the Android store I guess we need to wait a bit.

23 minutes ago, Geocaching HQ said:

With today’s release, Premium members can now view their current geocaching streak, Difficulty and Terrain Grid, and caching milestones in the Geocaching® app.

When Premium members navigate to the Profile screen, they will see a new option for Statistics.

P1RWT08fHR-uffssj0168inwgoe4c8itGuBQoch0

Tapping this will launch the Statistics view, opening the Statistics tab, and displaying your personal Difficulty and Terrain grid. This provides a historical view of your progress completing the Difficulty and Terrain grid.

sNxMUcf2ZbeeBdzK6yu9OJVLmrKXEyHUVc1VbXMD

Directly above the Difficulty and Terrain, we have introduced a Streak Card. This card updates in a manner that corresponds with your caching behavior. For example:

If you have not cached today, and are not a streak;

VehQR663-ev55P-cMR4en7LSWyS4fakQh77Nxgfk

If you have not cached yet today, and are on a streak;

ZktRaLHdc-pexJMnkAtSeG-rJWtigrfokrGPFkPy

If you have cached today, and are on a streak;

9qhZfCLCFBC3V1p167D_ZU-cRYscUY4l2UuMOv5w

Tapping the Milestone view opens a list view which displays the caches logged that earned each Milestone. If a cache is later archived or disabled, that cache line item is greyed out. Each milestone icon corresponds to the design of the Milestone pins available in the Geocaching Shop.  

2zG7XRVolCv2GdEC37Gv13MBcqFhloXfZFNF-nZD

We are eager to hear your feedback on this new feature, and what you would like to see added to it in the future.

Brendan (brendanjw) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

I never saw anyone in the forum asking for streaks data or milestones in the apps.

Would be nice if Groundspeak introduce instead features that the community requested multiples times about AL.

2 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

Hi CACH5737, 

Thanks for the follow up.  Do you see a line item on your Profile page that has a label titled "Statistics".  If you can also check your app version for me by tapping "More" then tapping version info that would be great.  We will figure out what the issue is.

Best,

Brendanjw

Which version number for Android? I just went to the app store to update to 8.41.0 and no sign of those new features.

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I never saw anyone in the forum asking for streaks data or milestones in the apps.

Agreed. I can't think of a more useless feature for me on the app. I wish I could toggle this one off. 

I just opened the app after seeing this news release and statistics are right there at the top of my profile. I want to make it go away.

Why is it I can hide my stats in my profile but they still show in the app? I choose to hide them because I have no interest in them. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Agreed. I can't think of a more useless feature for me on the app. I wish I could toggle this one off. 

I just opened the app after seeing this news release and statistics are right there at the top of my profile. I want to make it go away. 

This has been a hobby for us and most we know, starting the hobby with a GPSr years ago.

Kids entering with phones are looking for a "real world outdoor treasure hunting game".  Games need scores/stats.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
43 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

Hi everyone, a minor technical issue with our release, but I believe it has been worked out.  Please take another look and let me know if you can access Statistics from your Profile.

-Brendan

Re-opened the app and now the stats/milestones are there.

• Wouldn't it make more sense to make the colors the same as on the website?
  • Anything above 999 is not shown
  • I don't know if it's related to the 999 limit but D2.5/T4.5 has a different color in the app than on the website
  • Website doesn't show .0 but the app does

Screenshot_20210216_212455_com.groundspeak.geocaching.intro.thumb.jpg.7dcf2cbbb0212a23841e3a4a62173299.jpg34202684_Screenshot2021-02-16212702.png.7d78cb41a61a002c252c0503600b7f71.png

On 2/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, mustakorppi said:

The update text in the app store says that premium members should now also see their current streak, D/T grid and geocaching milestones in the app. I can’t actually find that feature in the app, and it’s not mentioned here on the forums; did it get postponed or something? 

Guess I have my answer.

Regarding the milestone feature, the brief delay where it says ”You must be a premium member to view this cache.”  is unfortunate.

In stats, I think the ”visit your dashboard” should maybe be a link to the stat page itself.

I think these two were a good first choice for stats to show, but I’d guess more experienced caches who like stats would want this section customizable . I will find it useful as is for as long as I maintain my streak.

23 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Kids entering with phones are looking for a "real world outdoor treasure hunting game". 

Games need scores/stats.

Those darn kids with their 5000 day find streaks, eh?

Edited by mustakorppi
  • Funny 2

Looks like the app stats for streaking do NOT include Adventure Labs in the count, whereas it does on the website.  I'm using both ALs and regular caches for my streak.  Please don't change that on the website!  (I don't care either way of the app is wrong, but others might).Looks like the app stats for streaking do NOT include Adventure Labs in the count, whereas it does on the website.  I'm using both ALs and regular caches for my streak.  Please don't change that on the website!  (I don't care either way of the app is wrong, but others might).

2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

It feels like another feature that is designed for "new" geocachers.

There are so many small improvements that can be done for the app that people have been asking for, but GC seems to be focused on making new things for new geocachers.

Edited by ardila.nl
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Why is it I can hide my stats in my profile but they still show in the app? I choose to hide them because I have no interest in them. 

I'm kinda with you,  but never heard that one.  We don't hide them.  I simply don't click on it, leaving it open for others to see (and the other 2/3rds).

- There's some who care what my stats are for some odd reason...    :huh:

Years ago, when folks asked why their find count was off, and it showed they logged a find every time they did maintenance on their own cache, they hid that quick.    :D     

• Surprised 1
2 hours ago, StaceyBassoon said:

Looks like the app stats for streaking do NOT include Adventure Labs in the count, whereas it does on the website.  I'm using both ALs and regular caches for my streak.  Please don't change that on the website!  (I don't care either way of the app is wrong, but others might).

The AL contribution to website stats assumes everyone lives in the Seattle time zone so they're pretty much useless for streaks in this part of the world, unless you intentionally use today's ALs for yesterday's finds. It's probably too late now to fix it as it would mess up the stats of anyone using that workaround.

• Upvote 1

This is basically why I said more experienced cachers would need to be able to customize it. E.g. show only current year's D/T grid or a specific cache type, make the streak count AL's or only count physical caches, count the number of caches in the streak, the number of D/T stars in the streak...

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Only the top part of the app Profile page is public like the website Profile, the rest is more like the website Dashboard (trackable inventory is a Dashboard feature on the website, like Statistics).

Edited by mustakorppi
  • Surprised 1
On 2/16/2021 at 11:06 PM, ardila.nl said:

There are so many small improvements that can be done for the app that people have been asking for, but GC seems to be focused on making new things for new geocachers.

If you want a example of this: Try logging the Mars Perseverance Rover TB using the app.
The TB is locked but the app doesn't show this and just tells you that you've logged the TB

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2