Adventure Labs in National Parks?

cllecr

3 hours ago, cllecr said:

Can I create an Adventure Lab in a National Park?  Wondering because it says it can't require a fee to access.   Also,  no review to report permission obtained from land manager?

That's exact, welcome to the strange world of AL that have completely different rules but still gives +1.

Update.... got a reply from HQ saying Adventure Labs are not permitted in National Parks or any park where an entry fee is required to access it 

:(  I had already done all of the work,  just asked for clarification.   This is a big disappointment.  ?

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ.

A fee is only acceptable if it is possible to avoid, such as a parking fee in an area that is otherwise free to access. In the case of National Parks which charge a fee for any entrant, this means that Adventures are not allowed. All Adventures must follow the Adventure Lab guidelines, which state:  

• You cannot require players to pay a fee for a product, service, or access.
If there are issues or guideline violations Adventures may be turned off at the discretion of Geocaching HQ.

To answer your second question, Adventure Labs are enduring  we have no plans to phase them out or discontinue them. In fact we continue to invest in Adventure Lab and are constantly working to improve the platform.

For more information and ideas about creating an Adventure, please see our Help Center and Geocaching.com forums.

Best regards,

Ari

• Helpful 1

I’m late to this discussion, but I just figured it would be important to point out that all National Parks are open to the public for free on select days of the year. So by placing a lab in one you aren’t requiring the public to pay due to there being the option for them to go on a free-access day.

Looking at the Lab map, I noticed the Petrified Forest NP adventure was taken down. Hopefully this wasn’t due to that rule. I personally have one set up along the Virgin Islands National Park boundary to just be safe enough to avoid any conflict.

That's interesting, since geocaches can be placed in National Parks. I had thought that it would be the same way with AL's, that if it's a not for profit fee, that it would be ok.

So I'm assuming that means that you can't place an AL in State Parks, either? I'll have to tell my MIL, because she was planning on placing one in a State Park that has a day use fee.

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, maestrolive said:

I’m late to this discussion, but I just figured it would be important to point out that all National Parks are open to the public for free on select days of the year. So by placing a lab in one you aren’t requiring the public to pay due to there being the option for them to go on a free-access day.

Looking at the Lab map, I noticed the Petrified Forest NP adventure was taken down. Hopefully this wasn’t due to that rule. I personally have one set up along the Virgin Islands National Park boundary to just be safe enough to avoid any conflict.

Are accessible to the public most of the week.

Cannot require an access fee.