Short Story Vending Machines

My 35USD per year allows me to vote in peer review, whether or not I post in the forums.   I made my case when the Shop24 Vending Machine category was amended - yes, your entry was what I expected, the start of a run of different types of vending machines.  

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, iconions said:

My 35USD per year allows me to vote in peer review, whether or not I post in the forums.   I made my case when the Shop24 Vending Machine category was amended - yes, your entry was what I expected, the start of a run of different types of vending machines.  

and that's true. but you can see how it is helpful to have feedback prior to the category going to peer review. 

• Upvote 3

If you do not create a discussion in the forum before peer review, everybody will vote Nay because discussion is missing, but if you create a discussion, nobody will participate especially those who will vote Nay

Are waymarkers nice people ???

You spent a lot of time creating this category, it's was an excellent idea and i am really disappointed for you

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

Peer review is a nasty but necessary experience.  At the least, you now know what to expect next time.  It is difficult to not be emotional after the thrashing one takes in peer review.  Look at it this way, you have now had the full Waymarking experience...almost.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, elyob said:

Peer review is a nasty but necessary experience.  At the least, you now know what to expect next time.  It is difficult to not be emotional after the thrashing one takes in peer review.  Look at it this way, you have now had the full Waymarking experience...almost.

Well sure, but one must ask if it has to be that way. Might we miss out on potentially good categories if we limit our discussion? 
and I wonder also if there's some confusion over the difference between "is this interesting to me" vs "might others find this interesting."

I just want to improve the game in my own way. And some of the commentary did seem unnecessarily aggressive. I just hope we can still get something constructive out of this. Feeling a bit lost though. After getting positive feedback here, only to get a stronger reaction in PR. Scratching my head a bit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
7 hours ago, elyob said:

Mr. Boyle stopped just short of trodding upon the rest of his story (possibly the phone rang, quickly engaging him in an entirely unrelated conversation which then diverted his attention from the matter at hand.) - the TRUE WMing experience is that which is engendered by the endless declines supplied by conscientious (really, really, strange... ..., that is a word which I dreamed about last night and still managed to spell correctly on my first try today [last night I didn't]) and objective reviewers who tend to disagree with one's someone more subjective view of a Waymark's acceptability/viability.

Take heart in the future, though. After 20k+ WMs I still evoke declines, on rare occasions the result of pushing the envelope, more normally my inability to remember the strict and arcane rules and regulations of particular categories. Too, as the years pass, my inability to consistently hit the correct keyboard keys in the proper sequence can also lead to yet more mandatory edits of a just-submitted Waymark.

Don't ever tell me this endeavour/hobby/game isn't a barrel of laughs. I haven't actually posted a WM in several months now, but, like LEE the OKIE, I'm pacing myself. I'll admit that 20k+ did kinda scorch my burners.

Keith

On 3/1/2021 at 7:19 AM, T0SHEA said:

Rather than trying to point out "some either seem off the mark"  as a rationalization for the "Deny" votes, you should be wondering why the obvious was not addressed here. I read the entire thread and not once was the issues of, Not permanent, not global in sufficient numbers so there is a  prevalence issue. 

On 3/1/2021 at 7:35 AM, Wolfen32 said:

Listen. You're not going to come into my thread and call me oblivious

The original:

Rather than trying to point out "some either seem off the mark"  as a rationalization for the "Deny" votes, you should be wondering why the obvious was not addressed here. I read the entire thread and not once was the issues of, Not permanent, not global in sufficient numbers so there is a  prevalence issue.

The edited version:

Rather than trying to point out "some either seem off the mark"  as a rationalization for the "Deny" votes, you should be wondering why the oblivious was not addressed here. I read the entire thread and not once was the issues of, Not permanent, not global in sufficient numbers so there is a  prevalence issue.

Good move, Wolfen32. Next time you attack someone, at least make an attempt to not misquote that  person.

Keith

35 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

The original:

The edited version:

Rather than trying to point out "some either seem off the mark"  as a rationalization for the "Deny" votes, you should be wondering why the oblivious was not addressed here. I read the entire thread and not once was the issues of, Not permanent, not global in sufficient numbers so there is a  prevalence issue.

Good move, Wolfen32. Next time you attack someone, at least make an attempt to not misquote that  person.

Keith

9:35 Wolfen posted, with quote.

10:12 Toshea edited the quoted post, changing that one word. 

Just to add my opinion: I looked at the provided map with the locations of the vending machines and it showed locations on almost every continent. After hearing that other similar vending machines of other companies will be allowed I didn't think that prevelance was an issue. And with the decreasing number of waymarkers I thought that we had enough locations (even though there is none in my country _yet_). I was really nervous during the peer review for my Chronograms category, because there are only a few of them outside of Europe, but fortunately it passed PR. Nobody knew (or will ever know) how many there are (not even me), but it was interesting enough to try nonetheless. It's not fair, but it seems (to me) that either a new category is interesting enough to allow it although it might not be really global or it is not interesting (to the voter) and the voters will find other reasons to deny it or - in other word - take a closer look to prevelance, etc.

And "permanent" is relative. How permanent are Penny Smashers, Free Little Pantries, Insect Hotels,....? I've never seen any of these vending machines and therefore I didn't know if they are permanently in a shop or "on tour". I only knew the "Märchen-Automaten" I mentioned earlier and those were permanent (mostly attached to a wall or reling) until they changed our currency to Euros and they all were removed, because the machines didn't accept Euro coins and it was too much effort for the owner to convert them all.

@Wolfen32 : Don't give up. With every new suggestion for a category and maybe PRs you will better understand what "the waymarkers" like or don't. It might even help to read through older threads of this forum to learn what has worked or failed (and why). I (like many others here) have been in your shoes. We had a good idea (at least we thought it was a good idea), but finally (sometimes after a lot of time and effort) it didn't make it through peer review. But one day you will have another good idea and the majority will agree.

• Upvote 3
On 3/2/2021 at 9:19 PM, Max and 99 said:

9:35 Wolfen posted, with quote.

10:12 Toshea edited the quoted post, changing that one word. 

Yes, indeed. I find I must abjectly apologize to Wolfen for asserting that he had misquoted that passage. I was later informed that the change had been made.

Still, one with at least a tenuous grasp of the English language would normally deduce from the context that the word oblivious was not what the writer had intended. It was, instead, the output of an overly ambitious spell checker being presented to a less than totally attentive writer.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I was really nervous during the peer review for my Chronograms category, because there are only a few of them outside of Europe, but fortunately it passed PR. Nobody knew (or will ever know) how many there are (not even me), but it was interesting enough to try nonetheless. It's not fair, but it seems (to me) that either a new category is interesting enough to allow it although it might not be really global or it is not interesting (to the voter) and the voters will find other reasons to deny it or - in other word - take a closer look to prevalence, etc.

Andreas makes a cogent and, at a time when we already have well over 1,000 categories, salient point. Personally, I would not go a metre out of my way to Waymark a vending machine unless it dispensed wishes, hopes or dreams. I would, however, go a considerable distance to Waymark a Chronogram.

The difference? Interest. The latter possesses it, the former does not.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

And "permanent" is relative. How permanent are Penny Smashers, Free Little Pantries, Insect Hotels,....? I've never seen any of these vending machines and therefore I didn't know if they are permanently in a shop or "on tour". I only knew the "Märchen-Automaten" I mentioned earlier and those were permanent (mostly attached to a wall or railing) until they changed our currency to Euros and they all were removed, because the machines didn't accept Euro coins and it was too much effort for the owner to convert them all.

In the Interesting, Yet Not Permanent category I submit the following:

Snowman-01.JPG.d0810d9f0b1b4463aaf41ce689c3e8d8.JPG

Snowman-03.JPG.820a4e29063d338ee8b64835eacd69f6.JPG

Much of the interest here lies in the snowman's gravity defying properties. However, he could never be considered permanent, however much we might wish him to be.

While he  is a couple of months old, he once was much more robust. The weather of the past couple of weeks has trimmed him down considerably and he is due to do a face plant in the ground any moment now.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

It still seems to me that the vast majority of these are permanent. I'm not sure about the rumors of them moving. seems some think they are interesting but not permanent, others think they are permanent but not interesting. with some digging perhaps we can come to consensus. It seemed to qualify for both when I brought the topic to the forums. Just unfortunate that it became a vehicle for pre-existing disputes. I'm just here to help the game itself. 

Any idea why peer review is stalled? It went to vote and... nothing happened. Is this typical? Thank for any help if you can offer it. Respectfully, please.

1 hour ago, Wolfen32 said:

It still seems to me that the vast majority of these are permanent. I'm not sure about the rumors of them moving. seems some think they are interesting but not permanent, others think they are permanent but not interesting. with some digging perhaps we can come to consensus. It seemed to qualify for both when I brought the topic to the forums. Just unfortunate that it became a vehicle for pre-existing disputes. I'm just here to help the game itself. 

Any idea why peer review is stalled? It went to vote and... nothing happened. Is this typical? Thank for any help if you can offer it. Respectfully, please.

Wayfrog is the person to ask and I think he's out of commission until about April 2nd. Feel free to send him a message to ask about the status. 

On 3/28/2021 at 6:01 AM, Wolfen32 said:

Your proposal was denied via Peer Review but from what I can gather you have simply resubmitted it for a second go. See Wayfrog's comment about self service coin operated laundromats in relation to a question from me viz https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/356790-self-service-coin-operated-laundromats-voting/  Similar?

On 5/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, Max and 99 said:

It would have been nice if all the officers had been notified of the decision after peer review. If it's available to view I sure don't know how to see it.

This has perplexed me for a while as well. I thought they notified when a decision was made either way. Instead, it just... disappeared. But it was my first try at it so perhaps I'm missing something. After all the drama though it makes it hard to want to try. I dislike being in the crossfire between an existing dispute. I thought about asking wayfrog but someone said they were away?

On 4/22/2021 at 9:37 PM, Tuena said:

Your proposal was denied via Peer Review but from what I can gather you have simply resubmitted it for a second go. See Wayfrog's comment about self service coin operated laundromats in relation to a question from me viz https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/356790-self-service-coin-operated-laundromats-voting/  Similar?

if it was resubmitted I didn't mean to. Was just trying to see the results but there wasn't a acceptance or rejection anywhere either email or on the site I could see. Still new to it though