My Magellan Explorist GC GPS won't receive downloads anymore

Bookin'Pages

So as the title above  says:   My Magellan Explorist  GC  GPS  will  not  receive  any  programming  downloads  of  GPS  sites  from  the  geocaching.com  website  anymore.   My  computer  doesn't  seem  to  even  recognize  it  at  all.   This  GPS  shows  on  its  screen  that  it  is  connected  to  my  computer.   But  nothing  happens  when  I  try  to  download  a  cache  site  GPS  info  to  it.   It  has  been  like  that  for  some time.  Years,   in  fact.    More  than  one  computer  as  well.   Otherwise  I  can  manually  program  in  a  location  for  a  site.   And  it  still  takes  me  to  a  site  okay.    Just  can't  get  any  recognition  from  the  computer.   It  used  to  be  able  to  program  the  sites  just  fine  originally.   But  it  suddenly  stopped  some  years back  after  a  different  computer  had  to  be  bought  when  the  first  one  quit  working  or  went  bad,  I  forget.   And  I  can't  find  any  way  to  update  the  GPS.   Although  I  saw  on  some  answer  and  question  site,  I  forget  what  it  was  called,   that  someone  said  the  long  awaited  update  had  finally  arrived  for  that  Explorist  GC.    But  I  can't  find  it  anywhere.   And  I  can't  even  get  on  the  Magellan  website  anymore  either.     SO  DOES  ANYONE  KNOW  WHAT  GIVES  WITH  THIS ?   Or  has  Garmin  managed  to  take over  the  whole  GPS  business  now  and  left  poor  Magellan  in  the  dust  and  bushes ?

Pulled out my old Magellan Explorist GC and had no problem using it with GSAK.  It holds 10,000 caches.  In GSAK you'll have to select the correct model.  Did not try EasyGPS, but I believe it will also load caches to your GPS.  Regards, PeoriaBill

Edited by PeoriaBill

I had to download each cache using the “download fox file” button and save to my downloads file on PC. Then plug in the gps, and in file explorer, open up the Magellan and look for the file “geocaches” and drag and drop the gpx files there. Worked OK, but would sometimes miss some files completely. It’s been very frustrating. My old explorist is also running very slow, so am now in the market for another that works for paperless caching. Just not enough clear info, and to many varied opinions to make a clear choice yet. Sigh. 

On 7/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, DuckanaJones said:

I had to download each cache using the “download fox file” button and save to my downloads file on PC. Then plug in the gps, and in file explorer, open up the Magellan and look for the file “geocaches” and drag and drop the gpx files there. Worked OK, but would sometimes miss some files completely. It’s been very frustrating. My old explorist is also running very slow, so am now in the market for another that works for paperless caching. Just not enough clear info, and to many varied opinions to make a clear choice yet. Sigh. 

Garmin is the only player in the market now, and all of Garmin's handheld offerings since ~2008 include paperless geocaching support.

On 7/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, DuckanaJones said:

This is what we do as well to eek out a few more years of use with our two eXplorist GCs. One thing we recently encountered was that, after installing new anti-virus software on one of our computers, we needed to "tell" the software that the GPS was a known/trusted device before the computer would allow us to browse to the Geocaching folder (or even open the directory) on our GPS.

• Funny 1