Alabama Geocachers Association???

Bubba Cache

We had our first unofficial event at Oak Mountain this past weekend. We (Joefrog, Pudman, and I) had hoped we would have at least 10-15 show up. We had a few more than that!!! There has been talk of formally organizing ourselves into a group. By organizing, I mean, regular events/meetings, t-shirts, etc... We are just tossing the idea around right now and would like to have some feedback from you guys. So........

" If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride...and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." Paul "Bear" Bryant

God Bless you and your family.

God bless

I abstained from voting, as I'm not from Alabama, but I would say form a group for ALL of Alabama. Your population and geocaching demographic is likely very similar to Mississippi's and our 'informal' group is in the process of becoming more organized.

I strongly suggest that somebody takes the initiative to create a Forum/BulletinBoard for your state. A webpage can be built around that. Basically all of our groups actions center around our discussion board.

I am in the process of updating our webpage and getting a better forum - but there are plenty of "free" message boards out there. I'd start with one of those and a simple webpage. Then ask Jeremy to post a link on the Alabama page.

Our "formal" group is - as I said - very informal. We have several Events a year that usually have pretty good turnout. We haven't reached a point where monthly meetings are necessary but I beleive we're on our way towards that.

And don't leave the North Alabama or South Alabama people out! Most of our active geocachers come from 4 areas (I won't count Tunica because almost every cache there was placed by somebody from TN) and one of those areas is the Gulf Coast. We're starting to see more geocachers in the North part of the state (Tupelo, etc). There's just not enough people in either of these areas to support a North MS group or South MS group - so our 'MS Geocachers Association' is statewide.

southdeltan

Rolling Fork, MS

------------------------------------------------

I had the pleasure of attending the Alabama cachers meeting last Sunday. I've gotta say that y'all have the makings of a mighty fine group!

IMHO I'd shoot for statewide. The Georgia Geocachers Association is growing and expanding our horizons. Our first event appreciably out of the Atlanta area, Savannah, is coming up in November and we're real hyped about that.

Keep it simple, keep it informal, keep it friendly, and keep it for the members. This is just mho, of course, but I think you've made a fine beginning!

Have a Dixie Day!

Sounds like a beginning to me. I'll be glad to help out in anyway I can. We should probably start by looking at some of the other associations and modeling it after those then tweak it to fit us. I agree with southdeltan, the first thing would be to get a forum going for it so we can get discussions going and get organized etc. I think with just the interest expressed so far here and on the Event cache page we have enough to get it off the ground.

"Build it and they will come" icon_smile.gif

I was lucky enough to attend the meet & greet.I also voted for a central Ala. group, but after thinking about it some, I now think it would be better to go statewide, There's alot of good cache hunting in both the north & south of Ala.and the more folks the better. pogo740

POGO740

I DIDN'T get to go... icon_frown.gif ...too busy being sick, but I'd say "yes" to a state-wide association, but maybe with local chapters... I know I never wander too far when caching, though I haven't had the time to go caching in a year now...my granddaughter wants to start looking again, and I plan to as soon as it gets cooler weather...

So, yes on a state-wide group, but I suggest some local stuff as well...

I am glad to see interest in an Alabama Geocaching Association and will actively work with the group to build and support it.

I vote for a state-wide association, representing the interests and activities of all Alabamians.

Have fun,

Ed

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

- Ben Jonson -Sixteenth century English dramatist.

I'll go with and help with either one. I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the event; I never could have done it without all the help from all involved!

I can work on designing a logo of some sort, and teeshirts, etc are not a problem. I'm in advertising, and have sources for all kinds of things like that. You name it!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

There is already a Yahoo group alabamageocachers but I am not dead set on yahoo... I wouldn't mind an all state group but in the past a group of cachers Calling themselves AL geocachers Assoc. have been metting in Huntsville... Clearly, not all AL cachers can afford the time and gas to drive to huntsville and back.

Oak mtn park is a lot better, but still a 2 hour drive for me... That's why I voted for a central AL cache assoc. I would like for the meeting to be within an hour drive, but that would be impossible for everyone since the state is SO TALL... Mobile area would have to drive 3 hours to get to Montgomery, as would ppl in huntsville... That's why there should either be a central assoc, or at least a centralized meeting place. Oak mtn park is arguably within the 'centralized' deffinition and the fact that it's a huge park and there are several caches in the park, makes it a nearly Ideal locale. This could be said for Ft toll ousse also!! cute.gif

I would support a statewide assoc., but again, I really don't want to drive to huntsville for meetings...

Real men don't need to ask for directions. That's why we have GPSRs!

Remember, the glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's too big for the amount of liquid it contains.

I think the association should be statewide then possibly have 3 chapters, North, Central, South provided the people in those regions wanted to form chapters. That would also setup the ideal situation for at least 3 events per year where each region hosts 1 event. Not to say you couldn't have more of course. Chapters would also mean if the group decides to have meetings you could have them by region and no one would have to drive more to the other end of the state. The association would just tie the chapters together and bring us all under one roof so to speak.

The forums then could have sections for each region and the overall general section for all.

btw Jeff35080 has created a website and forums for us to start discussions and get everything off the ground at www.alacache.com

I voted for Statewide Assc., But I do like the idea of 3 geographical chapters. This would allow us to focus on issues in our area and also have statewide meetings to discuss the state issues. I noticed on the Birmingham news that several explosives where found in the area. The video was of a 30MM ammo container. I hope that will not affect us when placing and finding caches in these containers...Just a Thought.

I really enjoyed the Meet and Greet. Thanks again for those who worked so hard to make it a success. I will be willing to do whatever to help get the meetings off to a postive start.

Bonsai

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. - Charles H. Spurgeon

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Williams:

There is already a Yahoo group alabamageocachers but I am not dead set on yahoo... I wouldn't mind an all state group but in the past a group of cachers Calling themselves AL geocachers Assoc. have been metting in Huntsville... Clearly, not all AL cachers can afford the time and gas to drive to huntsville and back.

Oak mtn park is a lot better, but still a 2 hour drive for me... That's why I voted for a central AL cache assoc. I would like for the meeting to be within an hour drive, but that would be impossible for everyone since the state is SO TALL... Mobile area would have to drive 3 hours to get to Montgomery, as would ppl in huntsville... That's why there should either be a central assoc, or at least a centralized meeting place. Oak mtn park is arguably within the 'centralized' deffinition and the fact that it's a huge park and there are several caches in the park, makes it a nearly Ideal locale. This could be said for Ft toll ousse also!! cute.gif

I would support a statewide assoc., but again, I really don't want to drive to huntsville for meetings...

Ken, did you once work for a print shop in Homewood?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Although I live in Wetumpka and most seem to reside in the Birmingham area, I vote for all of Alabama. Then as the group grows, the different parts of the state can have their own events in there own area. This could result in more events. However, all would be part of one group.