Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app: friends’ logs) - February 11, 2021

Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app: friends’ logs) - February 11, 2021

With today’s release, we are adding the functionality to see your friends’ logs in the Geocaching® app.

When looking at the logging activity of a geocache, tap on “Friends” to see which of your friends has logged the cache!

Please note that for Android, this features is available in version 8.41.0 (due the roll out time frame it might take a couple of days before you will see this version).

bPGur4qBvedogbS8zfqg7oZ3TOufM3ojgPo_2AL9

To add more friends, go to your friends list on Geocaching.com and search for other players to add as friends.

With this update, we have also added the link to view all logs to the quick links on the cache details page on Geocaching.com. Click “View all logs”, then select “Your Friends’ Logs” to see only your friends’ logs.

Lc8UZwNkOYyFDeYJ06RkcWYj19SYTbG2Yejv_iFF

4NWeRQLOGLc0Dm-h5sn50cSRN8kW8lYCakbPFEBo

Nicole (nykkole) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
On 2/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

With today’s release, we are adding the functionality to see your friends’ logs in the Geocaching® app.

When looking at the logging activity of a geocache, tap on “Friends” to see which of your friends has logged the cache!

I spoke too soon. I like the idea of the function, but heck if I can't find it on my android. I followed instructions, didn't see it. Uninstalled and installed again. Still don't see it. :mad:

Edited by Max and 99
Deleted screen shot - no longer needed.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

Having used the feature for a few days now, I think it would be nice if your own logs were on a special tab too (included on the friends tab or I guess it could be a third tab too)

Really surprised this isn’t included.  The web site shows All Logs | Your Logs | Your Friends’ Logs.  I’d have expected the App to show the same.  Being able to see my own logs, particularly on my own caches (OMs, etc.), would be really useful.

• Upvote 1
On 2/17/2021 at 2:09 PM, SpiritGuide said:

Does the friends list show logs even if they've NOT opted-in for sharing of data? It looks like there is a difference between friends in the HQ app versus API partner apps.

Well that would make sense as that opt-in is explicitly for API partner apps. Data isn't being shared to a third-party developer if you're using Groundspeak's own app.

Edited by mustakorppi
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

I have a date format different in the friends tab (m/d/yr) on the Geocaching app than as the one in All tab (yr/m/d) on Android.

I can confirm this issue with the date format. Here, as in many parts of the world outside the USA, the date format is dd/mm/yyyy, and that's used in logs under the All tab, but under the Friends tab it insists on using mm/dd/yyyy.

image.png.bfca1b3f134b539f103200cee79d61b0.png

This can become very confusing when the day of the month is 12 or less.

Edited by barefootjeff
Spelling
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, 10000Steps said:

actually it doesn't hang on my iPhone 7, it just doesn't even open...

very frustrating since I;m on vacation and since it doesn't work, I cannot Geocache!!!

I don't have an iPhone and haven't experienced that problem, but from what I've read from others who have, uninstalling the app and reinstalliing it generally seems to work.

Hope you can help

I can not see 1 of my Friends ( WeTravelForCache) logs on geocaching.com I see him as a friend and he sees me as a friend but I can not see his logs.I have unfriended him and then re friended him and he accepted but I still can not see his logs..I see his points on the leader board and he is on my friends list but I can not see his logs. Hope you can help me out on this issue

Thanks,

Cacheman44 - Gary

1 hour ago, Cacheman44 said:

Hope you can help

I can not see 1 of my Friends ( WeTravelForCache) logs on geocaching.com I see him as a friend and he sees me as a friend but I can not see his logs.I have unfriended him and then re friended him and he accepted but I still can not see his logs..I see his points on the leader board and he is on my friends list but I can not see his logs. Hope you can help me out on this issue

Thanks,

Cacheman44 - Gary

Are you looking for his logs on a specific geocache? Can you include a screenshot?

15 minutes ago, Cacheman44 said:

THANKS

WE FIGURED IT OUT

HE DIDN'T HAVE THE BOX TICKED THAT LET OTHERS SEE HIS LOGS

C44

You can always see his logs. But I think you mean on the dashboard? Yes that's a whole different situation, but not what I thought you were talking about.  Glad you figured it out. 

This release note is about seeing your friends' logs on the app. But that is completely different from the checkbox allowing people to see your logs/activity on the dashboard. 

Edited by Max and 99