Travel Bug

Aspen524

33 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

It's the second tag that comes with the original. Chances are, the original was lost, so the owner sent out the copy tag. Best bet is to ask the trackable owner, but if I had to guess, I'd say they meant it to travel just like the original.

With at least one of mine, I securely attached my TB tag before noticing it was the copy tag. :rolleyes:

Mine are intended to be placed into a cache, then picked up by a different cacher who promptly placed it into a cache.  The “Copy Tag” hasn’t seemed to cause much confusion.

2 hours ago, Aspen524 said:

"COPY TAG" keep me

That instruction is meant for the original owner who purchased the TB, so that they have a record of the original TB tracking code, in case the original goes missing. If it's released into the wild, then other players should ignore the "keep me" part and just treat it like a regular TB.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, Aspen524 said:

We found a travel bug that says "COPY TAG" keep me. So we don't rehide? I am a little confused what to do with it

You move it to another cache like you've been doing.  :)   JIC you didn't know, you don't have to drop one when you take another...

When you order actual Travel Bugs, the tags come in a set of two, with one long and one small chain.. 

One says "Don't keep me",  meant to go into the wild, and hopefully make it cache to cache for a while.  

The other says "'Copy Tag' Keep me", meant as either a souvenir of your trackable sent out (usually with an identical, attached item), or so you can send it out again.

I think that's a terrible idea...

Obviously Don't keep me didn't work, why on Earth would someone think "keep me" is going to pan out ?  :laughing:

I couldn't find (but didn't look hard...) anything on if/when the original went "missing".  

The "copy" was carried since it first started out by the TO for "visiting" caches, and wasn't placed in a cache until May of last year, so guess it's possible that they really never thought about it.  :)