Can WIG be a bonus

If the second cache relies on information obtained by finding the first cache, then the second cache is a "Bonus Cache."  All Bonus Caches must be Mystery Caches. 

Since this advanced question comes from a veteran geocacher, I am moving this thread out of the "Getting Started" forum.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I feel like a complicated or difficult bonus cache defeats the purpose of a bonus cache. 

What do you mean? A bonus should be easy? Any reason it can't be complicated or difficult?

If a CO wants a bonus to be hard, why not, some enjoy caches that need some effort.

Any cache that requires using a Wherigo cart Must be  Wherigo. Any cache that requires finding some other cache first is bonus and Must be Mystery =:-)

I think it's probably going to be Wherigo - see the Wherigo article in the Help Center,  specifically,  "Wherigo Caches can have different designs that overlap with other cache types. If a cache uses a Wherigo cartridge, it is considered a Wherigo cache."

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 2
8 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Any cache that requires using a Wherigo cart Must be  Wherigo. Any cache that requires finding some other cache first is bonus and Must be Mystery

If both your prepositions are indeed true (which they are, according to the guidelines), then it immediately follows by basic logic that a "bonus cache" can never require a Wherigo cartridge.

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, on4bam said:

What do you mean? A bonus should be easy? Any reason it can't be complicated or difficult?

If a CO wants a bonus to be hard, why not, some enjoy caches that need some effort.

To me, the whole idea of a bonus is that you put a lot of work into completing something and you get something extra  as a bonus (that doesn't require extra effort).  No particular reason why it can't be complicated or difficult other than it kinda doesn't fit the definition of a bonus.  

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

To me, the whole idea of a bonus is that you put a lot of work into completing something and you get something extra  as a bonus (that doesn't require extra effort).  No particular reason why it can't be complicated or difficult other than it kinda doesn't fit the definition of a bonus.  

I'm not saying a bonus can't be "easy" I mean it shouldn't necessarily be easy. The most interesting/memorable caches we've done  take at least some effort, bonus or not.

• Upvote 2

What about challenge caches? In a sense they're a "bonus" you can find once completing the task. Should they always be easy too?  :)

I think the key point about the 'bonus' concept is just that you can't find it until you've got what's required beforehand; their difficulty shouldn't be arbitrarily limited.

But it should be listed as an Unknown (throwing back to the catch-all cache type thing)