Missing and Neglected Caches

VentureForth

Kinda separate from the CRK-needed caches decribed here: CRK Public Service Announcement, I noticed that A Walk In The Park is missing. I know that the owner just replaced this one not too long ago (but then he moved to Tennessee to be with his xTerra).

Are there others that are missing and haven't been archived or cared for by their owners? Do we have anyone who wants to be a foster cache owner?

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I've recently adopted the old Comanche Trail cache in NW Fort Worth. It had been archived because the owner had moved away. I replaced it, and it's ready to go.

I'd love to adopt some of the older archived or missing caches in Dallas, but they're just too far away for me to be able to properly maintain. If there is a cache near you that has been abandoned or archived, try contacting the owner, and offer to adopt it. If you can't get in touch with the owner, contact Jeremy, and ask him to transfer ownership to you. I know T-Storm has adopted the Rock Road Adventure cache, and HackAttack is reviving some other caches. I think it is important to make every attempt to contact the owner first, however. I contacted the owner of the Oswald Micro Chain cache and offered to adopt it. Instead, the cache was archived, and replaced with an additional leg my the owner. Sometimes a little push will prompt the owner to fix a cache. So give them a chance. However, if the cache truly is abandoned, I like the idea of someone nearby adopting it.

25021_1200.gif

WL,

What about the case where you contact the owner and he says he wants to keep ownership but continues to neglect the cache. I've had that situation here. I sent several emails to a cache owner and finally got a response, but he ignored my offer to adopt the cache. He lives out of state and will certainly not be maintaining the cache.

At this point, I've decided to forget about it. He's not going to maintain it and he's not going to allow adoption.

Jamie

As for adoption, I contacted the owner of A Walk in the Park and It's a Bird...

I archived (meant to disable. whoops!) A Walk and will find or replace the cache asap and reinstitute it.

People have been finding It's a Bird, so I am just going to baby sit that one. I'll check on it when I look for the other one.

As for finding an archived cache, it ain't easy. The owner can archive it and let it continue to be viewed, or make it 'invisible'. I don't know what the difference is 'cause when I accidently archived the one, I chose 'viewable', but it came off the search lists. I've SINCE learned about the temp disable. icon_smile.gif

If it doesn't show up as crossed out, ya pretty much gotta go through the procedure of just clicking on a cache and changing the number at the end of the URL beginning with 1. Unfortunately, it could take some time to filter through the 18000+ caches. Best to know them before they're archived, then work with a hopefully cooperative owner.

Good Luck!

---------------

As for adoption, I contacted the owner of A Walk in the Park and It's a Bird...

I archived (meant to disable. whoops!) A Walk and will find or replace the cache asap and reinstitute it.

People have been finding It's a Bird, so I am just going to baby sit that one. I'll check on it when I look for the other one.

As for finding an archived cache, it ain't easy. The owner can archive it and let it continue to be viewed, or make it 'invisible'. I don't know what the difference is 'cause when I accidently archived the one, I chose 'viewable', but it came off the search lists. I've SINCE learned about the temp disable. icon_smile.gif

If it doesn't show up as crossed out, ya pretty much gotta go through the procedure of just clicking on a cache and changing the number at the end of the URL beginning with 1. Unfortunately, it could take some time to filter through the 18000+ caches. Best to know them before they're archived, then work with a hopefully cooperative owner.

Good Luck!

---------------

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

WL,

What about the case where you contact the owner and he says he wants to keep ownership but continues to neglect the cache. I've had that situation here. I sent several emails to a cache owner and finally got a response, but he ignored my offer to adopt the cache. He lives out of state and will certainly not be maintaining the cache.

At this point, I've decided to forget about it. He's not going to maintain it and he's not going to allow adoption.

Jamie

Email Jeremy. He may allow you to adopt even if the current owner doesn't want to. Or else he may archive it, then you can place a new cache in the same spot.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by k9&purr:

How does one go about finding a cache that has been archived? If there are any in our area, we would be willing to adopt them.

Here's what I've done:

View an older cache in the area. Go WAY DOWN to the oldest logs. Click on the profiles of some of the earliest cachers. Look to see which caches they've found. As long as you're logged in, archived caches usually show up - unless the owner made them "invisible" when they were archived.

I live pretty close to you. I've pretty much scanned through most of the archived caches in Tarrant and Denton Counties, and there aren't many worth reviving left. Any place out in Haslet to plant a cache?

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Email Jeremy. He may allow you to adopt even if the current owner doesn't want to. Or else he may archive it, then you can place a new cache in the same spot.

WL,

I've considered it, but I don't believe it's ethical for me to just kidnap someones cache like that, even if they are neglecting it. I'm really on the fence about it, but I'm enough of a pacifist that I don't want to create any bad feelings.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I live pretty close to you. I've pretty much scanned through most of the archived caches in Tarrant and Denton Counties, and there aren't many worth reviving left. Any place out in Haslet to plant a cache?

Ive been looking around, but the only park in Haslet has no cover. The ball diamond area would be the only other area, and it is being worked on right now. When they are done, I'll walk around it to see about any possibilities there. I doubt that Alliance would allow a cache placed, but I might check that out too.

I do have a couple of sites in Fort Worth in mind, so as soon as the rains end, and I get a bit of time, I'll place them.

dogncat.jpg Faithful Friends