Jump to content

Arm chair waymarker, or clueless


Recommended Posts

I just got a notice that my Peace Pole waymark had been visited. So I looked up the poster, to see where they were from. No telling, she does not list a location. So I went to look at they places she had visited (no posted waymarks) figuring she would start near her home. She has only done visits in one category, Peace Poles. She had done 26 (25 now) from Germany, to the UK, to Oklahoma. I don't believe it. I deleted her visit. If you have Peace Pole waymarks, you may want to see if she has "visited" yours.

  • Surprised 1
Link to post

Unfortunately I have yet to find a peace pole, but today I removed three visits of my waymark WMH2QT. Not because they were armchair waymarkers, but because they visited the famous "Wiener Prater" (according to the uploaded photos) and my waymark is for the "Böhmischer (Bohemian) Prater", which is 5.6 km away from the much more famous Wiener Prater.

See https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=862ede6e-8523-4f97-b679-1e1ac5c5402c&lat=48.16638&lon=16.40017&t=6&id=lat:48.16638 lon:16.40017&wo=True&r=10&gid=3&st=2

 

Maybe I should add to the waymark description that this is NOT for the Wiener Prater, if potential waymark visitors unexpectedly read the long description. ;)

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Funny 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Maybe I should add to the waymark description that this is NOT for the Wiener Prater, if potential waymark visitors unexpectedly read the long description.

 

Wouldn't hurt.

Link to post
12 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Unfortunately I have yet to find a peace pole

 

Here's one, a mere 140 or so km. west of you - 48.039514, 14.659344

One can actually see in on Google Streetview (brown wood post).

 

Here's another one, at Wörschach Gorge, a bit closer to you - 47.556256, 14.149017

 

This one's even closer, about 30 km. northeast, at Stadtpfarrkirche, Gänserndorf - 48.342245, 16.719853

 

If ever you get to Salzburg, there are six peace poles there.

Edited by ScroogieII
Link to post
15 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

 

Here's one, a mere 140 or so km. west of you - 48.039514, 14.659344

One can actually see in on Google Streetview (brown wood post).

 

Here's another one, at Wörschach Gorge, a bit closer to you - 47.556256, 14.149017

 

This one's even closer, about 30 km. northeast, at Stadtpfarrkirche, Gänserndorf - 48.342245, 16.719853

 

If ever you get to Salzburg, there are six peace poles there.

 

Thanks a lot! As we don't own a car and depend on public transportation, it will be Gänserndorf then. Takes me 3/4 to 1 hour to get there. Too bad that it will be not the first waymark in that category in Austria, but at least the first for me. And I could visit the (so far only) waymark in Salzburg, if I ever go to Salzburg again and will have a post and a visit then.

 

Funny! I just found out that I was almost there on 07-07-2018 and created among other waymarks WMYXFV, which is literally around the corner. I was even IN the church, but didn't see the peace pole.

 

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post

Manville Possum wrote comments for Kanata United Church Peace Pole - Kanata, Ontario on 2/8/2021 8:00:00 AM and posted the following comments:

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category: There are no log instructions listed for this category. Saw your PP on WM and hijacked it because I think I'm funny like you thread hijackers in the forums that disrespect new players because you don't have a iPhone or use apps.

Link to post
1 hour ago, elyob said:

Manville Possum wrote comments for Kanata United Church Peace Pole - Kanata, Ontario on 2/8/2021 8:00:00 AM and posted the following comments:

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category: There are no log instructions listed for this category. Saw your PP on WM and hijacked it because I think I'm funny like you thread hijackers in the forums that disrespect new players because you don't have a iPhone or use apps.

so I take it you deleted this. Yeah, he's funny -- like a knife in the back.

  • Surprised 1
Link to post
7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Funny! I just found out that I was almost there on 07-07-2018 and created among other waymarks WMYXFV, which is literally around the corner. I was even IN the church, but didn't see the peace pole.

 

GOOD GAWD!! that WM is less than 40 metres from the peace pole. Now I'm almost sorry I found it. The peace pole should have been there 5 years when you were there.

HINT - NEVER bypass a church without at least walking around it. There are often memorials and historical markers to be found at churches.

AAMOF, there's a monument of some sort just east of this peace pole.

 

Then there's the church itself - parts of it from the 13th century:

history

The core of the late Romanesque building dates from the 13th  century. The Gothic choir was built around 1400. The parish was first mentioned in a document in 1345. After severe fire damage in 1683, the church was redesigned in Baroque style in 1695 . In 1784 the parish was rebuilt and incorporated into Melk Abbey . In 1961 Ernst Arthofer and Karl Burian extended the church to the west with a building that had a major impact on today's appearance.

 

With churches such as this lying around unWaymarked, I think I need to take a trip to Austria one of these days. :huh:

Edited by ScroogieII
Link to post
2 hours ago, elyob said:

Saw your PP on WM and hijacked it because I think I'm funny like you thread hijackers in the forums that disrespect new players because you don't have a iPhone or use apps.

 

Yep, that's the Possum Man, alright. I suspect he's still in a foul mood as a result of the US election result.

Link to post
6 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

 

With churches such as this lying around unWaymarked, I think I need to take a trip to Austria one of these days. :huh:

We need to go during the winter. Ski season. Gluhwein and apple strudel!

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
15 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Funny! I just found out that I was almost there on 07-07-2018 and created among other waymarks WMYXFV, which is literally around the corner. I was even IN the church, but didn't see the peace pole.

 

I think that deserves a double post:

 

  • Funny 1
Link to post
14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

 

GOOD GAWD!! that WM is less than 40 metres from the peace pole. Now I'm almost sorry I found it. The peace pole should have been there 5 years when you were there.

HINT - NEVER bypass a church without at least walking around it. There are often memorials and historical markers to be found at churches.

AAMOF, there's a monument of some sort just east of this peace pole.

 

Then there's the church itself - parts of it from the 13th century:

history

The core of the late Romanesque building dates from the 13th  century. The Gothic choir was built around 1400. The parish was first mentioned in a document in 1345. After severe fire damage in 1683, the church was redesigned in Baroque style in 1695 . In 1784 the parish was rebuilt and incorporated into Melk Abbey . In 1961 Ernst Arthofer and Karl Burian extended the church to the west with a building that had a major impact on today's appearance.

 

With churches such as this lying around unWaymarked, I think I need to take a trip to Austria one of these days. :huh:

 

Well, we have been in Gänserndorf to find some geocaches back then and I took some photos for Waymarking on the way. No need to be sorry. Sooner or later we will be there again. And yes, there is a World War memorial very close to the peace pole that says "They sacrificed their lives for their country" and list the name of the soldiers on several plaques on the church's wall.

 

As far as the church: Yes, I could add  that church to several categories, but I have tons of other photos and if Groundspeak would pay for the waymarks, I could have a fulltime job creating waymarks. But since my employer pays a good salary, I have to be very picky. ;)

 

But if you ever come to Austria, let me know and I will show you all kind of things for various categories. If only Corona was over.

 

Link to post
7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

 

I think that deserves a double post

 

:D You're right! At least I will definitely go back to Gänserndorf one day and take these photos, but the chances that I will see Ohrid, North Macedonia again are very slim. :(

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...