New Waymarking for iOS Group

OK, I'll join, since I have an IPhone6, but, to date, I only use it as a telephone - do you remember those?

It would ring and one would pick it up and say "Hello". Or, one would dial the number of a person, or organization, with which one wished to come in contact. Still earlier in life one would crank the handle on the side of the big, wooden box on the wall and wait for central to ask "Number please". Nostalgia are I.

I once was quite tech savvy, but today choose to ignore the realm whenever possible. It tends to keep life a touch simpler and less busy.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2021 at 7:08 PM, ScroogieII said:

I only use it as a telephone - do you remember those?

It would ring and one would pick it up and say "Hello". Or, one would dial the number of a person, or organization, with which one wished to come in contact. 

For a couple of years now, I've been using a smartphone.  It's my first.  About the only function that I can count on it to NOT work is when making or answering a phone call.

• Helpful 1
19 minutes ago, elyob said:

For a couple of years now, I've been using a smartphone.  It's my first.  About the only function that I can count on it to NOT work is when making or answering a phone call.

My smartphone would work. Making calls is not a problem, but phone scams are a pest around here. I have no option than airplane mode when I do not want to actively use it.

All in all, smartphones make life easier if you don't let tem terrorize you.

But only A (one) smartphone. I once was stopped and interrogated for an hour at a country border because I had three smartphones in my pocket. My private one, my personal business one, and a special support phone for a gold customer that rotated in the support team in weakly intervals. They finally believed me.

3 hours ago, fi67 said:

But only A (one) smartphone. I once was stopped and interrogated for an hour at a country border because I had three smartphones in my pocket. My private one, my personal business one, and a special support phone for a gold customer that rotated in the support team in weakly intervals. They finally believed me.

I'm guessing that exactly the same scenario would ensue were I to try crossing into the US carrying more than my (one) phone. Several months ago I entered the US sort of accidentally, without my passport. I immediately explained to the border guards what the deal was, but they had me go into the station and answer a zillion questions, in spite of the fact that I was on their database. It took well over a half hour for them to decide that I probably wasn't a Canucky Terrorist, bent on overthrowing their government.

4 hours ago, elyob said:

Thread hijacked.

??!?!?!??!!!??!??!?!?!

Edited by ScroogieII
4 hours ago, fi67 said:

All in all, smartphones make life easier if you don't let [them] terrorize you.

They can also make life more expensive if you don't pay strict attention to all the nooks and crannies of a phone's day to day  behind the scenes activities.

My first "smart" phone was an LG Dare, many years ago. It and I got along quite nicely, thank you.

Then I got this IPhone, knowing nothing whatever about its seemingly constant updating of the installed apps, etc. One month I received a phone bill that was $20.00 higher than it should have been. I quickly discovered that the extra charge was for data use. I hadn't used a single byte of data since getting the phone, so I was PISSED!!!

You guessed it - the phone was constantly using the cell network to do its seemingly daily updates, etc. I had to change pretty much all the default settings, shut off cell network data and connect it to my home Internet network. The next month I was still charged another $10.00, but that was because some of the data usage that occurred ran into the next billing period.

To all those LESS THAN TOTALLY TECH AWARE/ADEPT smart phone owners: Take this as a warning from one who's been there. Pay attention to/learn about your smart phone before settling in to (hopefully) enjoy all the (possibly) useful things the pretty icons can do for you. A little diligence could save you a buck or twenty. Later, when you, too, find yourself on the receiving end of an exorbitant bill, treat it as simply another of the obligatory, costly lessons of life.

Actually, we could perhaps consider my experience yet another Red Green Moment - reading instructions and owner's manuals is for the Wooses (Wouses, Wuses??) among us.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
13 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

yet another Red Green Moment

Just to keep the hijack running…

I still have to figure out how The Life and Opinions of My Late Father-in-Law, Gentleman could be leaked over the big pond to that Canadian broadcasting station. They even copied his physical appearance and clothing habits.

Two evidential examples:

hammer.jpg.aaaf04bb585b4246b18c5911c0edf6de.jpg

His favorite hammer. Notice the duct tape? And no idea why he mounted the ski pole grip reverse than I had done. If I ever would have had such an idea, I mean.

dusche.thumb.jpg.0645d82538742069fd53c2c49721ed0f.jpg

The shower. The upper part was a box foot in its former life, the lower the leg of a kitchen chair. Both connected with color matching duct tape, of course.

• Funny 1
9 hours ago, fi67 said:

hammer.jpg.aaaf04bb585b4246b18c5911c0edf6de.jpg

His favorite hammer. Notice the duct tape? And no idea why he mounted the ski pole grip reverse than I had done. If I ever would have had such an idea, I mean.

I should think that it would have been obvious to you that the hammer was being used to effect repairs to his suit of armor, while simultaneously serving as an ice pick.

9 hours ago, fi67 said:

I still have to figure out how The Life and Opinions of My Late Father-in-Law, Gentleman could be leaked over the big pond to that Canadian broadcasting station. They even copied his physical appearance and clothing habits.

Apparently, CHCH TV had a very adept, though unscrupulous, crew of undercover operators.

Tristram Shandy

On 2/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, wayfrog said:

Back on topic please. Thanks

Doncha just think that our Wayfroggie guy can be a real stick in the mud at times? 

"stick in the mud" is an expression which the "Old Side of the Pond" folks may not "get", yet it prolly originated on that side, in the U.K. Perhaps not, who knows. Mebbe someone here may have knowledge of the origination of the saying. I certainly do not. In any event, I feel that I must wholly concur with the Wayfroggie's assessment that this thread has been well and truly hijacked.

But now, what's to be done? Shall we, each of us, expunge our literary offerings to the world, never to be again read by human eyes? 

Shall we, instead, simply "save" our renderings, again quite possibly never again to be read by human eyes, thence passed down to generations eager to learn of their progenitors' endeavours, yearnings, desires and wishes?

No, instead, I propose that we all go to bed, as it's getting quite late. Besides, I'm quite sure that the Wayfroggie is sound asleep in his comfy little bed at this particular moment. I know where he lives, works and hibernates and we sha'n't disturb him.

And now back to you, MrCachly.

You're quite welcome, Wayfroggie - stay safe, look after the family and sleep well :)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

I failed to stay on track but I did steal an origin story.

"This expression originated in the early 1700s. The idea behind is clear, alluding to a vehicle (at the time, a horse drawn carriage) whose wheels were stuck in the mud. Someone who is a stick in the mud doesn't want to try new things."