Geocaching article in News and Observer (NC)

JoeyBob

Just kidding. Actually, I feel bad, because JeffersonStone was supposed to go solo, and invited me along. His picture didn't make the paper! Chris Seward must have taken 200 or so pictures, some of Ryan must have come out okay.

A producer from Zoom Culture in Chapel Hill sent me an interesting email, will keep the group updated if anything pans out.

JoeyBob

P.S. Ryan is much better looking than myself, just ask his wife- icon_razz.gif

Hey, that's a great picture JoeyBob! But, I want to see the picture that happened in the next second when you landed on that spot of grass and went up to your ankles in MUD! I had a great time at that cache, but it sure is a mud bath.

I liked how Joe Miller mentioned a lot of stories from other geocachers as well. It put a real positive spin on the sport. Now we can see how many new geocachers it can spawn!

Actually, I only got wet on the beaver dam, about halfway up my boot. Wasn't very muddy that day. The article did have a positive tone, and I noticed a lot of caching activity, and a few newer cachers hitting the Raleigh area over the past two days. I even got a phone call from a gentleman wondering if I could help him locate some lost equipment in the woods. Something interesting may be developing as a result of the article, will post if it works out.

JoeyBob

quote:
I even got a phone call from a gentleman wondering if I could help him locate some lost equipment in the woods.

Now, that is an interesting topic. Did he miss the point off having the lat/lon coordinates (in advance)? And besides, we would never find it, unless the equipment was wrapped in a big tupperware container! icon_wink.gif

Yeah, if it was lost ammo cans or tupperware, we would be on it before he knew it was lost! He was looking for a radio tracking dog collar, said he could narrow it down to about a quarter square mile area. Told him if he had the map coords, we could find it pretty quickly! He laughed, and said thanks anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

JoeyBob

Local GeoCachers, may want to look at the posts under NC Parks. I just got hooked on this activity from the article and hit a few caches (planing to add my own in the future), and read about the problems with state parks. Being a former NC Park employee, I decided to look into it. Briefly, If you want to plant a cache in NC Parks in the future, you better have some input now because they are working on the rules. Right now it's not allowed! They are a reasonable group to work with, but it'd be better if you participate and provide them with your insights. There could be some wonderful places to cache in parks so don't delay letting them know how responsible and benifical that this activity could be to them, as well as us.