GeoTrash Cleanup?

Lostboy1966

Not too long ago I found a cache that had apparently been abandoned by the CO. I logged a NM, and after a few months of inaction the cache was Archived by the mods. I was in the area later, and stopped by to clean up the broken plastic and paperwork. That got me to thinking; there are probably many other abandoned geocaches out there that are effectively litter now, and unsearchable from the GC website as far as I can determine. Does anyone know of a way to list these abandoned hides for volunteer cleanup? I'd happily hike to get rid of GeoTrash if I could search for them, smileys be damned! :)

• Upvote 1

This has been asked for a few times.    :)   One even thought that smiley count could be an incentive, for some odd reason.  Pay ?

Granted, most are probably "abandoned", probably not being maintained when they were active.

- But not really knowing why it's still there might be an issue.

We know of one that's now a letterbox, and some that are/were listed on other sites as well.  They aren't "abandoned".

I found these helpful bits of instructions about how to search for archived caches using project-gc.

You could check the write-ups and logs to see if the cache appears to have been abandoned by the CO (no response from the CO, reviewer archived, no indication from the CO that they removed the cache or have it listed on another site): 

I've used Project GC's 'Map Compare' feature to look for archived caches.

• Profile name: yourself
  • Compare with:  leave it blank
  • Cache location:  make selections, although not necessary if you set a center-point using additional filters
  • Show:  select both 'one found' and 'none found'
  • Use the drop-down 'Add Filter' menu to select:  "Center/radius" (if no location selected in 'cache location' above)  &  "Show Disabled/Archived"  (be sure 'archived' is selected)
  • Click the "Filter" button to run the search

* source

and

Project GC works for that! Set it up like this, and just change the profile names to yours, and edit the state and county (and country if needed) to match where you want to see. To get the disabled and archived check boxes to show up, click "add filter" and select "show disabled/archived on the list.

https://project-gc.com/Tools/MapCompare

1095174089_Screenshot2020-05-15at6_50_37PM.thumb.png.45d637c0dad10c39e8bc9f9fbdba2e7b.png

* source

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1