My Travel Bug is missing how mark not in cache.

Chipper3

8 hours ago, colleda said:

Some spoiled kid may have found your Forest Fairy  too cute to resist.

Not long after I started geocaching, I was told that the trick is to attach a TB tag to something that is interesting enough to encourage people to take photos of it as it travels, but not so cute that someone (especially kids) will want to keep it.

40 minutes ago, niraD said:

Not long after I started geocaching, I was told that the trick is to attach a TB tag to something that is interesting enough to encourage people to take photos of it as it travels, but not so cute that someone (especially kids) will want to keep it.

So, to test this, I attached a tag to something SO uninteresting that I thought nobody would swipe it. This was back in 2014.

I even put a note on it asking people what they thought it was as kind of a fun thing. "Email me your guess!," I said. A friend of mine picked it up (before I new her IRL!) and she pondered what it was in her log. She dumped it into another local cache in a rest stop on the New York State Thruway, and two weeks later it was gone; the CO marked it as missing.

Ah, well. You can put a tag on a broken piece of plastic and somebody will, um, 'collect' it. 

https://coord.info/TB6J2Y7

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
1 hour ago, niraD said:

I have lost every TB that I have put out.  Sometime they go a few miles and then poof!  I even tried the TB "Hotels."  

I think that, at the end of the day, people just don't pay much attention and/or don't know the "soul" of the activity.  

Maybe the equivalent of Trolls who just misbehave for the entertainment value.

End of Rant

As the technical "How do I...?" question on marking trackables missing has been answered, I am closing this thread.  Anyone wishing to discuss the root causes of missing trackables is invited to bump one of the many threads on this subject in the Travel Bug forum section.

• Upvote 1