Unarchive cache which I archived myself by mistake

karlosss

Hello!

I was no longer able to take care of my cache so after reading the difference between disable (temporary) and archive (permanent), I archived it. Now a person wrote me that they would like to adopt the cache, therefore I'd need to unarchive it - maybe the archive was a mistake there. How can I do that, if at all? Or should they just create a brand new cache on the same spot instead?

Thanks!

Edited by karlosss
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, but archived caches cannot be adopted, and they cannot be unarchived for purposes of facilitating an adoption.  See this Help Center article.  If you had simply made a mistake, and meant to disable the cache page rather than archiving it, a Community Volunteer Reviewer could possibly have assisted you.  But, since the archival occurred on 1 November 2020, it is difficult to make that argument nearly three months later.

The better approach would have been to temporarily disable your cache and announce that you were willing to adopt the page over to someone who was able to maintain it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, karlosss said:

Thank you very much for the reply! So the solution is indeed to start a new cache on the same spot?

That would work, start all over. The cache number will change of course.

If using the old cache container itself clean it up, new log etc. If necessary obtain permission to place it. 

• Funny 1
20 hours ago, karlosss said:

I was no longer able to take care of my cache so after reading the difference between disable (temporary) and archive (permanent), I archived it.

Now a person wrote me that they would like to adopt the cache, therefore I'd need to unarchive it - maybe the archive was a mistake there.

How can I do that, if at all? Or should they just create a brand new cache on the same spot instead?

2 hours ago, karlosss said:

Thank you very much for the reply! So the solution is indeed to start a new cache on the same spot?

Guessing someone knew your cache was there because you didn't remove it when you archived.

Since you now know it's not coming back, correct, the person who asked about adoption would simply place their own cache there now.