How to set up instant notifications

dennistubaplayer

Hello all! I have seen quite a few new caches pop up in my area but have not been able to get the FTFs on any of them. One time I happened to be online and I saw a new cache that had been published about 20 minutes ago and no one had found it yet, so we hopped in the ole' Cachemobile and drove over to the cache, but then, we saw footprints near the cache and tire marks, and I checked and some Geocacher from out of town that has never found any other caches in our area had beaten me to it. And sure enough, I looked over my shoulder and there was a car with a Geocaching sticker on it about a 100 yards down the road. I thought that it was just bad luck, but sure enough, a new multi popped up and to save you're time, the exact same thing happened. Is there some way to get a notification on you're phone when a new cache pops up on the map or do we just have to get a faster car? 

Thanks! -Dennis

Edited by dennistubaplayer
  • Funny 1
On 1/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, dennistubaplayer said:

Hello all! I have seen quite a few new caches pop up in my area but have not been able to get the FTFs on any of them. One time I happened to be online and I saw a new cache that had been published about 20 minutes ago and no one had found it yet, so we hopped in the ole' Cachemobile and drove over to the cache, but then, we saw footprints near the cache and tire marks, and I checked and some Geocacher from out of town that has never found any other caches in our area had beaten me to it. And sure enough, I looked over my shoulder and there was a car with a Geocaching sticker on it about a 100 yards down the road. I thought that it was just bad luck, but sure enough, a new multi popped up and to save you're time, the exact same thing happened. Is there some way to get a notification on you're phone when a new cache pops up on the map or do we just have to get a faster car? 

Thanks! -Dennis

I have notifications set up to my gmail account.   I've made changes on my caches that generate a notification and get the notification very quickly.

The last time I intentionally went after a FTF I saw the cache published on a Thursday.  The next morning I was on a plane to NYC, then Tokyo, Singapore, and finally Malaysia, arriving on Sunday around noon (there's a dateline crossing).  I took a nap then hired a cab to take me to the park where the cache was located and found an clean log.  

On 1/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, dennistubaplayer said:

Is there some way to get a notification on you're phone when a new cache pops up on the map or do we just have to get a faster car? 

:D

Our first hundred or so FTFs were as basic members with no notifications, so It's not a faster car, but being observant.  

Every once in a while we just "refreshed" the "newest" link of our profile.  :)

- That helpful link has now gone...

We became PM just so the other 2/3rds could get notifications, yet I got my fair share too just by refreshing.

I get them off n on now simply because a cache is more than 200 feet from parking.

Realize that all other FTF hounds are seeing that notification around the same time.  ;)