Editing attributes? Is this ability gone?

captainmath

24 minutes ago, captainmath said:

Has Groundspeak removed the ability to edit attributes on a published event or geocache? If it has moved, where can I find the ability to edit attributes? I don't see the link on either my published events or geocaches, and I don't see it incorporated into the edit page for the admin tools.

When I go to my cache listing and click the Edit link (on the right, under Admin Tools), one of the things I can edit is the attributes for that cache listing.

2033948771_ScreenShot2021-01-24at10_39_32AM.png.fc91d0457e1301117ac560e3ede716bd.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
10 minutes ago, dennistubaplayer said:

I really don't understand why you need to edit Attributes, to be honest. I suppose that if a park or a trail is changing it's hours, you might need to add "not available 24/7" but I don't understand the point of this function.

Maybe the situation at the cache location has changed. As you suggested, the park or trail may no longer be available 24/7. Or dogs may be allowed or not allowed. Or it's no longer recommended for kids (or for tourists), or maybe it now is recommended for them. Or maybe poisonous plants (or thorns or dangerous animals) now grow there.

Or maybe the owner's understanding of an attribute has changed. Or maybe the owner's understanding of the situation at the cache location has changed.

Attributes aren't cast in stone once a cache is published. They are a communication tool. If the situation the owner needs to communicate changes, then the attributes should change accordingly.

• Upvote 6
On 1/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, dennistubaplayer said:

I really don't understand why you need to edit Attributes, to be honest. I suppose that if a park or a trail is changing it's hours, you might need to add "not available 24/7" but I don't understand the point of this function.

Because they didn't think of it when they created the cache?

• Helpful 1
10 minutes ago, dprovan said:
On 1/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, dennistubaplayer said:

That would be me!

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, dprovan said:

there was a cache that I found (I think I may have been FTF) that was along a trail not far from here.  There are a couple of places where one could get onto the trail.   Just before I got to the trail was within a few feet of a steep drop, about 200 feet to a rocky river bed.  There was nothing in the cache listing about appropriateness for children.  When I mentioned the cliff in my log the CO thanked me and said that she'd come in from the other direction so was unaware of the steep cliff.  She subsequently added a note in the description and a "not recommended for kids" attribute.

• Helpful 1
On 1/24/2021 at 10:46 AM, dennistubaplayer said:

There's a beautiful new park nearby. 

When it first opened it had every warning attribute because it was an old timber property with downed trees, chest-high grasses, mud up to your can, no trails (other than those muddy logging roads), and no actual parking lot.

Today it's hard-packed trails, blacktop roads to the huge parking area,  and most grass areas pretty-much manicured.

Along with Terrain, most attributes were changed for the huge difference too...   

We've seen hundreds of caches placed in one season without the CO's considering that there are three others.   ;)

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We've seen hundreds of caches placed in one season without the CO's considering that there are three others.   

Not much changes here seasonally apart from the temperature. Summers are hot and either very wet or very dry, winters are mild and either very wet or very dry, while spring and autumn are somewhere in between and either very wet or very dry.

• Funny 1
7 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Not much changes here seasonally apart from the temperature. Summers are hot and either very wet or very dry, winters are mild and either very wet or very dry, while spring and autumn are somewhere in between and either very wet or very dry.

Well, the person I responded to only lives a hundred or so miles away,...

• Surprised 1
On 1/24/2021 at 10:14 AM, captainmath said:

and I don't see it incorporated into the edit page for the admin tools.

I suspect you missed it, expecting an attributes link that opens a new page, the way it used to work. It's on the edit page, which is now very long from top to bottom; attribute section is under the waypoints field, and above the cache description.  Sections of the edit page, in order, below:

Geocache overview
Ratings & size
Geocache details
-> background image, ATTRIBUTES, Description, images

edit attribues.jpg

• Helpful 1

Most people should quickly work it out, but just in case:

• Hover over an attribute to see text on what the attribute is.
  • Click on an attribute to make it positive (like P for Parking in the above example).
  • Click again to make it a negative attribute (red diagonal line, to say that Parking is not available).
  • Click a third time to remove the attribute (greyed out).
On 1/24/2021 at 4:46 PM, dennistubaplayer said:

I really don't understand why you need to edit Attributes, to be honest. I suppose that if a park or a trail is changing it's hours, you might need to add "not available 24/7" but I don't understand the point of this function

If there are new attributes

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2020/09/four-new-geocaching-attributes/

and you are an excellent owner, you may need this feature.;)

Greetings Johannis10

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1