etrex touch 25 forgets settings

I just got a new etrex touch 25 today to start geocaching again after years away. My kids are excited to start! 

I updated the firmware, and it's acting very strange. It constantly forgets the units settings, I change it to KM/H and it randomly goes back to MPH, I turn off the beeps, the beeps come back on.
Also, when it auto starts an activity, such as hike, if i hit stop and then hit delete the data, nothing happens, and I cannot stop the activity. It just keeps the timer running.

Have I got a bad unit, or is this common for these?
Thank you

5 hours ago, crunchiespg said:

I updated the firmware, and it's acting very strange. It constantly forgets the units settings, I change it to KM/H and it randomly goes back to MPH, I turn off the beeps, the beeps come back on.

Sounds like you are moving between profiles, each with their own unique settings.

I just tested with my eTrex Touch 25, and I can change the units from Statute to Metric in one profile, then change to another profile and they are again displayed in Statute instead of Metric, which is correct behavior.

Same goes for the beeps.

Also, when it auto starts an activity, such as hike, if i hit stop and then hit delete the data, nothing happens, and I cannot stop the activity. It just keeps the timer running.

Where (what page) are you 'stopping' the activity from? If you are using the bottom screen pop-up from the map page, you can only pause and save activities there, never stop them.

To fully stop activity recording, you must open the 'Current Activity' page and press the 'pause' button there, then delete. IF you have auto start enabled in activities setup, it will start a new recording immediately after you clear the old activity.

Have I got a bad unit, or is this common for these?

Just a matter of learning how to use the device, I suspect.

2 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Sounds like you are moving between profiles, each with their own unique settings.

I just tested with my eTrex Touch 25, and I can change the units from Statute to Metric in one profile, then change to another profile and they are again displayed in Statute instead of Metric, which is correct behavior.

Same goes for the beeps.

Where (what page) are you 'stopping' the activity from? If you are using the bottom screen pop-up from the map page, you can only pause and save activities there, never stop them.

To fully stop activity recording, you must open the 'Current Activity' page and press the 'pause' button there, then delete. IF you have auto start enabled in activities setup, it will start a new recording immediately after you clear the old activity.

Just a matter of learning how to use the device, I suspect.

Thank you, you're right, it was my lack of knowledge, not the device.
But which is the current activity page? yes I was using the little pop up from the bottom, but every page I find it gives me the option to clear data but doesn't actually work.
Thank you!

54 minutes ago, crunchiespg said:

But which is the current activity page? yes I was using the little pop up from the bottom, but every page I find it gives me the option to clear data but doesn't actually work.

Yes, the pop-up is intended just for pausing, resuming and saving.

Are you using the eTrex in 'classic mode' or 'activity mode'?

Setup > System > Classic Mode

Check the 'Garmin Video' page here.

Edited by Atlas Cached
Autocorrect was incorrect
15 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Yes, the pop-up is intended just for pausing, resuming and saving.

Are you using the eTrex in 'classic mode' or 'activity mode'?

Setup > System > Classic Mode

Check the 'Garmin Video' page here.

activity mode, with the separate profiles for hike, bike, geocache etc.

1 hour ago, crunchiespg said:

activity mode, with the separate profiles for hike, bike, geocache etc.

In that mode, you will have to quickly cycle the power button to open the 'Status Page' that allows you to adjust the backlight and open additional 'pages' not available by swiping left and right. One of those is the 'Current Activity' page. This is how you start and stop and save and rename and change color for your tracklog.

If 'Current Activity' is not found in that list, you will have to add it in the Setup menu.

I prefer Classic Mode to Activity Mode, seems easier to use, possibly because that is what I have always used. Activity Mode is more streamlined, but also slightly more limited.

See GPSrChive > eTrex Touch > Operation > Activity Mode and GPSrChive > eTrex Touch > Operation > Status Page for additinal detailed information.

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

In that mode, you will have to quickly cycle the power button to open the 'Status Page' that allows you to adjust the backlight and open additional 'pages' not available by swiping left and right. One of those is the 'Current Activity' page. This is how you start and stop and save and rename and change color for your tracklog.

If 'Current Activity' is not found in that list, you will have to add it in the Setup menu.

I prefer Classic Mode to Activity Mode, seems easier to use, possibly because that is what I have always used. Activity Mode is more streamlined, but also slightly more limited.

See GPSrChive > eTrex Touch > Operation > Activity Mode and GPSrChive > eTrex Touch > Operation > Status Page for additinal detailed information.

ah, yes the current activity wasn't on the list.
It's strange it gives you the option to end the activity from the swipe up menu, but it just doesn't work. Why put it there???

I'll try classic mode too, I guess that will be more like my old GPSMAP 60c that I used for years.
I'm still not convinced I like the etrex over the 6X series, I might look at a 64 or 66 instead. But the size is nice for my 4 year old to use. She had great fun finding her first caches this morning and gives a purpose to our daily walks.
Thanks for the help!

Yes, the eTrex touch is a great size, especially for smaller hands. And it is pretty quick and responsive to input!

That annoying pop-up is a carry over from fitness oriented products, and is not my preferred way to control track recordings. 

If you are going to look at any 6x series, make sure you consider the 65 over any 64 model.

32 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Yes, the eTrex touch is a great size, especially for smaller hands. And it is pretty quick and responsive to input!

That annoying pop-up is a carry over from fitness oriented products, and is not my preferred way to control track recordings. 

If you are going to look at any 6x series, make sure you consider the 65 over any 64 model.

ah yes, I just discovered the 65 is technically newer than the 66. Maybe I need one and keep the etrex for the kids.

1 hour ago, crunchiespg said:

ah yes, I just discovered the 65 is technically newer than the 66.

The 65 includes the latest and greatest Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band satellite technology currently only available on one other model, the GPSMAP 66sr. Bother the 65 and 66sr include pre-installed TopoActive maps that are routable and updated twice a year, where as the others only have a marginally accurate 100K non-routable topo map installed. The 66sr has twice as many features as the GPSMAP 65 (at a marginal additional cost), including GCLive capability that allows you to access all Geocaching.com geocaches directly on the device by using your smartphone internet connection. More info on these devices is available at the links I shared earlier.

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

The 65 includes the latest and greatest Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band satellite technology currently only available on one other model, the GPSMAP 66sr. Bother the 65 and 66sr include pre-installed TopoActive maps that are routable and updated twice a year, where as the others only have a marginally accurate 100K non-routable topo map installed. The 66sr has twice as many features as the GPSMAP 65 (at a marginal additional cost), including GCLive capability that allows you to access all Geocaching.com geocaches directly on the device by using your smartphone internet connection. More info on these devices is available at the links I shared earlier.

the smartphone connection is actually what puts me off the 66sr. I don't use a smartphone. so that's just a feature I wouldn't use. 
The 65 is almost $300 less than the 66sr here in Canada. 

You don't have to use a smartphone connection to enjoy the 66sr. In fact, you could disable all two-way communication and just use it like a classic handheld. You'd still get the advantage of the long-lasting built-in battery and the larger and higher resolution screen. That said, I don't know if those features alone would be worth $300 more to you.

2 hours ago, crunchiespg said:

the smartphone connection is actually what puts me off the 66sr. I don't use a smartphone. so that's just a feature I wouldn't use. 
The 65 is almost $300 less than the 66sr here in Canada. 

Once you remove all the smartphone connected features of the 66sr, you are essentially left with the 65s, which has the 3 axis compass you will likely want when geocaching.

And the GPSMAP 65s will not be outdated any time soon.