Garmin Wireless Models - GPSMAP vs. Oregon

kurchian

I’ve been geocaching since 2005. I’ve been through several iterations of GPS receivers. I currently have an Oregon 450t that is finally in need of replacement.

I am considering a Garmin wireless model – either one of the GPSMAP 66 models or the Oregon 700.

A few questions -

1. I’ve heard read comments saying the wireless interface is awkward. I would appreciate comments about this. Also, does it quickly burn your iPhone battery down?
  2. The feature of the 66 series that I am disappointed in is the lack of a touchscreen. I almost feel like I’m regressing if I go back to buttons. I would appreciate hearing comments on that.
  3. The GPSMAP series says that it is Garmin’s most accurate model. Is it noticeably better for geocaching?
  • Upvote 1

3. Considering that we have been geocaching successfully back in the days of low-sensitivity receivers and devices without maps and so forth, the improvements in accuracy (precision, really) in modern receivers only marginally enhances the game. It more of a difference when it comes to our amateur obsessions with mapping, data collection, and surveying.
It's only the new models with multi-band capability that are significantly more accurate in difficult locations (deep canyons, cities with skyscrapers, etc.) So you'd be comparing the 66sr with an Oregon 700.

2. I love the touch screen too. And the touch screens of the Oregon 600 and 700 are far superior to those of the 450. I think you'll be happy.

1.  I can't comment on this one.

We're all waiting patiently for a supposed Oregon 800, or whatever they call the update to the Oregon line. I suspect we'll see the addition of wireless and a multi-band, multi-GNSS antenna. The problem is that such an update is long overdue with Garmin's historic timeline for updating their handheld lines, and nobody knows when such an update will be announced.

Wireless doesn't seem that awkward to me - once you have the phone and device registered and paired up.  You place the requisite app (Garmin Connect) on your phone, and pair it up to your Oregon 700. 

Once that initial setup is done...

If you want 'current' data on any cache, it's just a matter of hitting search (for a geocache) and the button that makes the wireless request back to gc.com through your phone.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, kurchian said:

I’ve been geocaching since 2005. I’ve been through several iterations of GPS receivers. I currently have an Oregon 450t that is finally in need of replacement.

I am considering a Garmin wireless model – either one of the GPSMAP 66 models or the Oregon 700.

A few questions -

1. I’ve heard read comments saying the wireless interface is awkward. I would appreciate comments about this. Also, does it quickly burn your iPhone battery down?
  2. The feature of the 66 series that I am disappointed in is the lack of a touchscreen. I almost feel like I’m regressing if I go back to buttons. I would appreciate hearing comments on that.
  3. The GPSMAP series says that it is Garmin’s most accurate model. Is it noticeably better for geocaching?

1.  The wireless feature has several options.  The menus changed since the 600, and I still get lost in it.  Takes practice, as well as setting things up for how you Geocache.  As mentioned, you probably set it up the way that makes sense, and leave it that way.  I don't often run the "Geocaching Live" feature, so I don't know about phone battery life.  But I am sometimes surprised to see a phone notification pop up on GyPSy when I didn't even realize it's connected.  So far, it's OK.

2. Touchscreen or rocker is  more of a personal preference.  If you want to wear your favorite gloves in an ice storm, a touch screen might not be ideal.  I hate scrolling around, but sometimes being able to highlight something exact would be nice (hard to tell where the Fat Finger actually landed, and it never seems to be right where I expected).  I also like being able to pick up and move icons to just the right screen, although that's infrequent.  And in a rainstorm when water is interfering with the touchscreen, I've wondered if "buttons" would have been a better plan.

3.  There's a learning curve, but overall, the Oregon 700 series seems precise.  I've been amazed at co-cachers with a GPSMAP GPS standing directly over GZ, while I'm still wandering around.  But I get there.  Maybe if I set the Oregon to have less to calculate?  Do I want it pointing to a spot quicker or doing a lot of cool stuff at once?  These things all seem to work differently, pros and cons.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

I’ve heard read comments saying the wireless interface is awkward. I would appreciate comments about this. Also, does it quickly burn your iPhone battery down?

Not awkward once you have learned how to use it, which is really quite simple, as others have eluded to. Simply pair your GPSr to your phone with the Garmin Connect app, register the device to your Groundspeak account one time, and after that is is a seamless and simple operation. You can see how the Setup is performed at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Geocaching, and how the geocaching interface operates at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Geocaching.

Power consumption on the phone is negligible. I doubt it can even be measured.

The feature of the 66 series that I am disappointed in is the lack of a touchscreen. I almost feel like I’m regressing if I go back to buttons. I would appreciate hearing comments on that.

Essentially, this is the primary difference between the two as they both have the same size display and feature set. The GPSMAP 66 series does use a Quad Helix antenna, but the Patch antenna is the Oregon 7x0 is more than capable.

For all practical purposes a GPSMAP 66s is similar to the Oregon 700, while the 66st and 750t add a pre-installed non-routable 100k topo map, and the Oregon 750t also has an 8MP camera, which is not available on the 66 series.

The GPSMAP 66i is similar to the 66s with the addition of inReach tracking and rescue capabilities (additional monthly subscription required) and includes a pre-installed routable TopoActive map that is updated twice a year. No Oregon GPSr (to date) offers inReach capabilities.

The GPSMAP 66sr is the latest and greatest hot off the press with Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band capabilities providing sub two meter accuracy and also includes pre-installed TopoActive maps. The 66sr also has an internal 3100mAh lithium battery that frequently provides me with a full weekend of geocaching and hiking without ever having to recharge it. These features are not currently available on any other 66 series or Oregon models.

Touchscreen and button only devices each have their pros and cons, but mostly it just comes down to user preference. Touchscreen devices are much quicker when entering text or coordinates, while button units can be more reliable in wet weather conditions.

The GPSMAP series says that it is Garmin’s most accurate model. Is it noticeably better for geocaching?

When you find yourself in inclement weather, or under heavy tree cover, or in deep canyons (both urban and sub-urban), or near any other obstructions preventing a direct and clear view of the sky, the GPSMAP 66sr will out perform them all.

Otherwise, all things being equal, no. They will all be more than capable of getting you to within 30' of the posted geocache coordinates, which is where the GPSr is put away and you start using the fancy computer between your ears!

1 hour ago, jakewa said:

Anyone notice a difference with the quad-helix antenna under tree cover (forest)?  Or inside a creek/river canyon?

The quad helix and patch antennas are both very capable. In the conditions you illustrate, the Multi-Band receiver will out perform any other, regardless of antenna configuration.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, Atlas Cached said:
On 1/23/2021 at 9:25 AM, kurchian said:

I’ve heard read comments saying the wireless interface is awkward. I would appreciate comments about this. Also, does it quickly burn your iPhone battery down?

Not awkward once you have learned how to use it, which is really quite simple, as others have eluded to. Simply pair your GPSr to your phone with the Garmin Connect app, register the device to your Groundspeak account one time, and after that is is a seamless and simple operation.

I wonder if the comments against wireless that kurchian heard were directed at the standalone wifi capability, not the bluetooth/smartphone combnination you're talking about. I've found my 66st's self-contained wifi capabilities to be useless because almost all public wifi networks expect to be able to interact with a system -- i.e., bring up a browser window -- for authentication, something the 66st obviously can't handle by itself. We could debate whether the wifi interface is awkward, but it sure seems awkward when trying to figure out why it won't connect to a coffee shop's wifi.

You are correct about that. Amy public or shared Wi-Fi network that requires you agree to some terms and conditions via a web page before allowing you to connect are entirely useless to the Garmin GPSr. I myself have run into this on many occasions, and simply switch over to my smartphone Bluetooth internet connection, or enable a Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone if I must use Wi-Fi (for example, BirdsEye Imagery Downloads).