Best place to view planes at Atlanta Hartsfield airport?

bmclaurin

Well, I don't know about Atlanta's Hartsfield airport, but let me reccomend in several years, that perhaps he checkout landings and takeoffs from the 07 level of a carrier. OR, better yet, after college, from the "nose gunner" (pilot) position of a Tomcat or such. :-)

Keep taking him to the airport! :-)

Archie

Because of 9/11 you may wish to contact the airport before trying to find a spot on your own. Several years ago a buddy and I drove around the perimeter of the airport looking for places to take photos of the jets taking off and landing. We found a road that led to one of the firehouses at the airport (there's more than one) and actually got close enough to feel the jet wash before the firemen caught us. (Note: There were no signs limiting our access). However, today they'd probably put us in jail.

If you want to get where we were I suggest contacting the fire department, explain your need, and see if they'll give you access. After the firemen removed us they offerred to let us view the jets from a tower at the firehouse.

Another option is to take your son to Peachtree-DeKalb airport. There are no big jets but you can get really close to a lot of planes. There's a good bar/restaurant with a deck over-looking the tarmac. I think it's called The Downwind. A lot of pilots hang out there and if you're friendly enough you might find someone willing to let your son sit in his plane.

There's also the 57th Fighting Group restaurant which overlooks the airport. The restaurant used to have headsets at the booths so that visitors could listen to control tower radio traffic. (Note: This restaurant often closes/re-opens so check before heading there. I haven't been to PDK in a while so please excuse if my info is old).

Best of luck!

tjb