Owner Finder

jaxzel

Thanks for the reply. 

There is a CO in my area that hides caches and stamps them with his alias. When you are the first to find, you’ll see his his stamp, robbing the FTF of a clean sheet. Very confusing the first time it happened to me. 

lately I have been noticing he has been logging many finds for the very caches he has hidden. Is this unsportsmanlike? 

1 hour ago, jaxzel said:

There is a CO in my area that hides caches and stamps them with his alias. When you are the first to find, you’ll see his his stamp, robbing the FTF of a clean sheet. Very confusing the first time it happened to me. 
lately I have been noticing he has been logging many finds for the very caches he has hidden. Is this unsportsmanlike? 

You didn't explain that here in your OP, or in the other thread you asked...

Sure it's unsportsmanlike if true, but how does this affect you ?   Claim FTF if it bugs you.  :)

On FTF, we sometimes find names of members in a "team" once in a while, in the middle of the log somewhere.

These days it'd be the only time I'd claim FTF, and have sometimes asked in my log "in confusion" how so many people were there before me with no tracks in the snow.  :D

Edited by cerberus1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

You didn't explain that here in your OP, or in the other thread you asked...

Sure it's unsportsmanlike if true, but how does this affect you ?   Claim FTF if it bugs you.  :)

On FTF, we sometimes find names of members in a "team" once in a while, in the middle of the log somewhere.

These days it'd be the only time I'd claim FTF, and have sometimes asked in my log "in confusion" how so many people were there before me with no tracks in the snow.  :D

Yeah your dadgum right it bugs me. This guy has repeatedly said in precious logs he appreciates a fresh log you know the “new log smell”, you remember that feeling of finding something for the first time, being the first one to ever locate a cache, yes?  But, when you get there someone has taken that from you! Is it petty, yes, is it childish well probably. Is it unsportsmanlike yes I reckon it is, is it against the rules... this is what I’m asking? 

To me it takes the whole enjoyment out of a FTF,  but seriously it is just a game and games are enjoyed by the way you play it. Was just curious if this was a thing or if anyone else had come across this and what are others thoughts on this. 

I havnt come across a name in the middle of log yet, those sneaky pirates. 

Edited by jaxzel
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, jaxzel said:

is it against the rules... this is what I’m asking? 

There are no "FTF" rules, as it is a side game not officially recognized by GS.  Local customs and "rules" vary widely and if you feel you have the rights to an FTF, then designate it in your log as FTF in brackets and Project GC will see that and count it in your FTF total.

I understand the excitement and thrill of opening a cache to a blank logsheet, and being the first to put ink to the paper.  It's disappointing if there is already a signature there, but no online log to back it up.  You can claim First to Log online, in that case!  Is this person waiting to allow others to log online first before claiming their find?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, jaxzel said:

But, when you get there someone has taken that from you! 

If that cacher has changed the "rules", then you can just change them again - declare their stamp on the log a nice letterhead or decoration by the CO, and write your own name with FTF and such. If they are that lacking in positive things in their life that they feel the need to "cheat" at a game with no rules, then that's their loss. That's really quite lame, if a CO is placing a new cache and then using an alt account to claim an FTF.

Do they just put a stamp in the log, or use their alt account to do a digital log on the cache page to match?

7 hours ago, jaxzel said:

Can a CO log their own cache as found?

This one got me as a CO, because I have a cache that I've adopted (the container had gone missing and needed replacing) so the result is that I now own a cache that shows up as DNF for me - despite owning it and having done maintenance visits. Though I'm not sure that logging it as a find without finding it before accepting the adoption is the right way to go either - still feels like cheating to me.

9 hours ago, jaxzel said:

It was possible at some point in the past, but now it's not. The only way to do that is with the feature of adoption.

9 hours ago, jaxzel said:

Is this unsportsmanlike? 

I would say it is. The point of creating caches (for me) is to have fun and give fun to others. The moment you create a cache and instantly claim the FTF makes no sense. Of course officially FTF's are not a thing, but even in the Geocaching App, when there are no logs on a cache, there is a message: "Nobody logged it yet, go grab the FTF!" (or similar, I'm using different language settings). So it is safe to say that this is a big part of geocaching and the community takes it serious in a way. Taking the fun from others because of... something, is in this circumstances just harmful.

Personally I was a witness and/or a part of caches created on the spot. Everyone involved signed the logbook next to the author and let space for the first finder. Because that's the point.

• Helpful 1
13 hours ago, jaxzel said:

Yes if it's a Lab cache. Still don't know why Groundspeak allow that.

13 hours ago, jaxzel said:

Can a CO log their cache under a alias?

Some people does it over here with Sock Puppets Accounts so they can get their extra +1... Not right in my opinion.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

log as FTF in brackets and Project GC will see that and count it in your FTF total.

I didn’t know this was a thing. I have seen a few use *FTF* and [FTF] and I now understand why. I used to put just FTF but these days I don’t put anything in the log about the FTF. I not that interested in my GC footprint,  I’m in for the hunt, the adventure of discovery, something no one else has found. 

18 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Is this person waiting to allow others to log online first before claiming their find?

Yes, they have never claimed a FTF after the cache being published. But then I started to think about It, if your name is already in a log then really you can log your find online at any time without revisiting the cache.  

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Unit473L said:

That's really quite lame, if a CO is placing a new cache and then using an alt account to claim an FTF.

I have not come across anyone to do this, if I ever do I will shun them like never before. The person who I am referring to already has their alias stamped in the log on the front page, never in the FTF spot. But it makes you wonder when they do go to log online, have the actually gone back there. 

Do they just put a stamp in the log, or use their alt account to do a digital log on the cache page to match?

A initial stamp and a digital log later down the track. 

This one got me as a CO, because I have a cache that I've adopted (the container had gone missing and needed replacing) so the result is that I now own a cache that shows up as DNF for me - despite owning it and having done maintenance visits. Though I'm not sure that logging it as a find without finding it before accepting the adoption is the right way to go either - still feels like cheating to me.

Nah I get it, I would feel the same, this is a tricky one. 

Have you adopted caches where you already have logged a find? I guess you would see it in the notes if ownership had been transferred. 

1 hour ago, jaxzel said:

Have you adopted caches where you already have logged a find? I guess you would see it in the notes if ownership had been transferred. 

I've adopted three caches that I'd previously found. There's an autogenerated WN logged on the cache when the adoption takes place, which I then followed up with an OM when I did a post-adoption cache check:

image.png.148d88cae06aca16afa50612ce8cc4e5.png

Curiously those caches show as found (a smiley) on the browse map but owned (a star) on the search map. I guess the hampsters can't make up their minds which they are.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
10 hours ago, jaxzel said:

Have you adopted caches where you already have logged a find?

I have two caches I've adopted - one I'd found, one I hadn't. Both show up as stars on the map, but when I look at the cache page, they show up as found / dnf respectively. Oh well, guess I'll just live with it.

16 hours ago, jaxzel said:

I've found a cache and later adopted it. 

And I've adopted a cache and then found it!  I went to find it as anycacher might, and I found it, so it seemed OK to me to log a Find.  For both caches, the owner moved away and asked if I would adopt them.  On the web site at the top of a cache page, click the link next to "A cache by", to see the profile of who is the current cache owner.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

I've found a cache and later adopted it. 

And I've adopted a cache and then found it!  I went to find it as anycacher might, and I found it, so it seemed OK to me to log a Find.  For both caches, the owner moved away and asked if I would adopt them.  On the web site at the top of a cache page, click the link next to "A cache by", to see the profile of who is the current cache owner.

Early on I adopted several caches that I had previously found.  It would seem to me that this would be the most common scenario.  Unless the previous CO has a very good reputation, how does one know that a cache is worth adopting if they haven't found it?

• Upvote 2
On 1/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Early on I adopted several caches that I had previously found.  It would seem to me that this would be the most common scenario.  Unless the previous CO has a very good reputation, how does one know that a cache is worth adopting if they haven't found it?

If you know the owner placed cool caches, and asks if you’ll adopt it, that’s a good sign. :cute:

Maybe if it’s a scenic spot, I can place a new ammo box or whatever.  Or archive it and start anew.

In any case, I'd need to find it, whether making a "Found" log or not.  Worse case scenario, the cache or cache spot is terrible, and I could archive it.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Unless the previous CO has a very good reputation, how does one know that a cache is worth adopting if they haven't found it?

In the case of my un-found adoption, I adopted the cache page rather than the cache itself due to it being an older cache (placed Sep 07), however it was a reasonable assumption that the container had gone missing, the Reviewer had disabled it and the CO was caught out of state due to Covid. I offered to go put out a replacement container until the CO could get back and they counter-offered with letting me adopt it instead. Which worked out well because the historical cache got to stay active, I picked up a new hide, the CO ended up staying out of state and it's had a few finds since. Win win all around I think. :) 

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I've adopted three caches that I'd previously found. There's an autogenerated WN logged on the cache when the adoption takes place, which I then followed up with an OM when I did a post-adoption cache check:

Curiously those caches show as found (a smiley) on the browse map but owned (a star) on the search map. I guess the hampsters can't make up their minds which they are.

I'm in the same boat. It's my oldest and most found cache, but not by much...it's weird having it be both a smily and an owned cache, but it's perfectly fine since the initiative was ade to adopt the cache...in this cache for myself the CO lives out of town and couldn't bother going and maintaining the cache anymore. 

I've seen caches hidden by family alt (ex: their pet's account) or event accounts that are then logged as a Find by the person who actually hid them.  However, in my area (and most areas) it is customary to wait for the actual FTF before logging TAP (there at placement).

Hiding with your primary account then FTFing with your alt sounds like someone who might be deliberately messing with FTF seekers. If you own the cache there is no chance the CO deletes your find for not signing the log...at least I hope not!