Announcing GC8NEAT Let’s improve the outdoors - Locationless Cache

(This announcement is from today's Geocaching Blog.)

Join geocachers around the world to improve the outdoors, celebrate 20 years of geocaching, and log a rare cache type in 2021! Today, we’re thrilled to announce GC8NEAT Let’s improve the outdoors - Locationless Cache. This HQ-owned cache provides a unique opportunity to contribute to environmental improvement and protection efforts in a way that’s most meaningful and safe for you. 

We all know the pandemic has cancelled or postponed some fun stuff. Many of us are missing Cache In Trash Out® (CITO) activities, as well as Mega-Events where we looked forward to logging Find Signal the Frog® - Locationless in 2020. While we hope to enjoy each of these cache types later in the year, GC8NEAT offers some of what you're missing without the wait.

This Locationless Cache is available to log February 6, 2021 through December 31, 2021. Here are the logging requirements:

1. Include one (1) photo of yourself or a personal item with the results of your outdoor improvement effort.
  2. Tell us where your improvement effort took place (for example, the city of Berlin).

Optional: Provide additional images of your improvement effort, great storytelling in your log is highly encouraged.

The cache page is locked until February 6, 2021, which gives you a few weeks to make plans! Participate individually or with a small group (after checking the current guidance from public health authorities). The possibilities are endless, but could include:

• Clean up garbage in your neighborhood or favorite walking path.
  • Join an existing community effort to remove invasive species, plant trees, and improve parks.

Bonus points for using alternative (green) transport during your efforts, whether it’s biking, walking, skating, taking a bus, etc.!

We hope you seek out many opportunities to improve the outdoors, but you can only log one find on this cache. Besides earning the Locationless Cache icon, you will also receive a special souvenir on your Geocaching profile. We can’t wait to see your neat ideas for this special initiative!

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 2

Yes!  Almost a real Locationless Cache!  (As opposed to Signal the Frog...)  I liked Locationless, and have logged 84 of them!

I took up pulling garbage from the Greenway.  I've pulled out several tons of garbage!  I'll wait for the beer drinkers to come back to log this one.  The Great Blue Heron has appreciated my efforts.

01 13 02.jpg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Yes!  Almost a real Locationless Cache!  (As opposed to Signal the Frog...)  I liked Locationless, and have logged 84 of them!

Yep.  We CITO every place we go, and as fast as I walk, some have stopped walking with me for "taking too long".

- It'll be interesting to see pics of those same people who log for that locationless icon they didn't have.   :D

We logged 85.  

10 minutes ago, scarneck said:

We thought that it might be a good idea to either allow logging this cache more than once or to issue such a cache every month, season, or year. This might encourage more cachers to collect debris, which in turn will boost the relationship between cachers and the rest of the community and after all is good for the environment. 

Pick up trash more than once: yes

Log this geocache more than once: no

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, scarneck said:

We thought that it might be a good idea to either allow logging this cache more than once or to issue such a cache every month, season, or year. This might encourage more cachers to collect debris, which in turn will boost the relationship between cachers and the rest of the community and after all is good for the environment. 

This seems to be intended as a CITO substitute because of the pandemic.

Much like a CITO shouldn't be the only time you pick up trash, neither should this Locationless. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, scarneck said:

Thanks.  After yet-another full day shoveling snow (we're every-other day now...), I needed that.   :laughing:

• Funny 2
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The deadline to log this geocache has been extended to December 31st 2022.

Given that most of the logs on the page appear to be about 5 minutes worth of effort, I am very surprised another year is being given to complete this task.  You literally just need to pick up a piece of trash anywhere in the world, take a photo and log where you were at the time.

If anything, why not another one to encourage those who completed this task almost a full year ago to do it again?

• Upvote 3

I did a random check of some of the recent loggers of GC8NEAT and the related souvenir is showing in their public profiles.  If you are seeing examples of geocachers who logged GC8NEAT but are not showing the related souvenir in their public profiles, keep in mind that individual souvenirs can be hidden from view at the geocacher's option.  If someone logged GC8NEAT but was not awarded the related souvenir, they can write to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center for assistance.

• Helpful 1