Adopting a Wherigo Cartridge

famerlor_dragon

Hi,

I adopted Wherigo cartridges. One if them needs updating and I have the code available. However, I need the cartridge to be transferred to me in order to update and not to create a new listing on Wherigo.com. Is that still possible at all? I found an old post, where it was manually moved. Not sure if that is still being done.

Cheers

Christian

I don’t think that Wherigo cartridge listings can be adopted. Groundspeak might be willing to transfer it manually, but I doubt it. 

Your best best it going to be to create a new (Wherigo.com) listing, and link to the new listing on the cache page. 

Edited by Hügh

Yes, the current way to adopt the Wherigo listing is by getting the source files from the original owner and making a new listing on Groundspeak's Wherigo site.  Getting the files from the original owner is very important if the cartridge was created using Urwigo as the main Urwigo file is not included in the GWZ this builder creates.  If the cartridge was made using Earwigo, you should be able to request access to it.  If made using Kit, the original owner would be able to give you read/write access to it.  Once you have a new listing on Groundspeak's Wherigo site, you can edit the geocache listing so it points to the cartridge's new listing page.  I'd suggest the original owner edits the original cartridge listing so the cartridge isn't shown anymore.

• Helpful 2

I do have all the files but I find it quite confusing for everybody to have to create a new one and delete the old listing first to avoid confusion. Why would anyone allow Wherigos to be adopted if the process is broken anyways (at the more important part to actually play it quite frankly)? Also, t takes a lot more time (and two owners) than to just update a cartridge after having adopte the listing. It shouldn't be that complex to swap an owner key in the database.

But well, if it has to be...

Edited by famerlor_dragon
8 minutes ago, famerlor_dragon said:

I do have all the files but I find it quite confusing for everybody to have to create a new one and delete the old listing first to avoid confusion. Why would anyone allow Wherigos to be adopted if the process is broken anyways (at the more important part to actually play it quite frankly)? Also, t takes a lot more time (and two owners) than to just update a cartridge after having adopte the listing. It shouldn't be that complex to swap an owner key in the database.

But well, if it has to be...

I agree, but it's Groundspeak's Wherigo site.  I came up with with a way to have multiple cartridge maintainers on the Wherigo Foundation site, but, well...  I even had a switch on the site where I could force all cartridges to go to a reviewer prior to publication, but I left it where cartridge owners can publish their own cartridges.

Here's the bottom line with Groundspeak's Wherigo site: they really don't need it.  With some modifications to their geocaching site, they could just have the cartridge files hosted there, making the Wherigo listing site irrelevant.  That would certainly solve all listing lifecycle problems without any additional work.  And with Garmin out of Wherigo, I could understand how downloading a cartridge might later just be through an app.

• Helpful 2