Query "published during ..."

Oliver-HB

Is there any way to have a query created, with the caches that have been published in the last week?
On the website I only find the possibility to create a query with caches placed in the last week, month or year.
If I create a query with "placed in the last week", then caches that were placed two weeks ago but published only in the last week, among others, are missing.
If I use "last month" or "last year", the query will be too large.
It would be good if a corresponding option would be offered additionally.
Or does this already exist and I just haven't found it?
Thank you.

Edited by Oliver-HB

You can do an Advanced Search with the Placed Date parameter range, then add the results to a List and create a query based on that List. Any time you want to update it, just empty the list, re-do the search adding the results to the List, then rerun the PQ.

A couple extra minor steps, but doable.

Just to be sure I understand the question and the answers: I think the question is asking for a query on the publication date, but the only date that can be queried is the date the CO puts in the "placed on" field. Caches are often placed well before the CO actually asks for them to be published.

The 2 answers so far seem to be talking about different ways to query the placed by date for different ranges, but that doesn't appear to be what the OP is asking about. Feel free to correct me, but I think the answer to the original question is that there's no way to query the publication date. Well, not through the web. I don't know much about GSAK, but I seem to remember it has that concept, derived from the date of the publication log.

• Upvote 2

I find that this list is the 'local' stuff (I'm set up for 30 miles)  in the order published (most recent at the top), regardless of when placed, so you can look back just a week if you like into the full list. 

Fill in your own latitude/longitude and caching name, and preferred radius (all bolded, below) of course.

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?lat=40.195467&lng=-105.07415&origin=40.195467,-105.07415&radius=30mi&types=2,3,8,5,11,1858,4,9,3773&nfb[0]=ecanderson&f=2&o=2&e=1&sort=PlaceDate&asc=False

I used to think that PlaceDate was either cause for a forward or reverse sort, then I realized that when =False, the placed dates weren't always in the list order, but the list order did seem to be consistent with publishing date.  Once in a while you get a really old one pop up in the middle of a 'current' list that someone forgot to get published.

6 hours ago, dprovan said:

Just to be sure I understand the question and the answers: I think the question is asking for a query on the publication date, but the only date that can be queried is the date the CO puts in the "placed on" field. Caches are often placed well before the CO actually asks for them to be published.

The 2 answers so far seem to be talking about different ways to query the placed by date for different ranges, but that doesn't appear to be what the OP is asking about. Feel free to correct me, but I think the answer to the original question is that there's no way to query the publication date. Well, not through the web. I don't know much about GSAK, but I seem to remember it has that concept, derived from the date of the publication log.

Yes, GSAK does have that function thru the API (Geocaching.com access -> Get Geocaches... -> Page 2, Publish date).  I use that every Monday to get all the caches published during the previous week (I use 'during the last 8 days' to catch any published on the previous Monday after I've done the update).

7 hours ago, dprovan said:

Feel free to correct me, but I think the answer to the original question is that there's no way to query the publication date. Well, not through the web. I don't know much about GSAK, but I seem to remember it has that concept, derived from the date of the publication log.

I don't need to correct you, as you are right.

I am looking for a possibility to query by publish-date.

Yes - GSAK can do this - but not automatically.

It would be great to once create a query (by publish-date) and then have it run every week without changing settings, as recommended in the two posts.

4 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Yes, GSAK does have that function thru the API (Geocaching.com access -> Get Geocaches... -> Page 2, Publish date).  I use that every Monday to get all the caches published during the previous week (I use 'during the last 8 days' to catch any published on the previous Monday after I've done the update).

Yes - I know about that.

But that means, that I have to run GSAK each monday.

Queries instead are being created automatically and then I have several days to download them... so I think that this is much easier and comfortable.

12 hours ago, Oliver-HB said:

Yes - I know about that.

But that means, that I have to run GSAK each monday.

Queries instead are being created automatically and then I have several days to download them... so I think that this is much easier and comfortable.

But that means, you have to manually download the PQ's at some point.  I have a macro that automatically downloads the PQ's and runs any additional requests (like the one I mentioned save as settings) for each day (I update multi databases each week).  Which is easier?  Six of one, half dozen the other.

Brief history:  Publish as a log type dates from July 2005, to support notifications.  For some years thereafter, cache owners deleted the publish log; archived logs won't return in a query.

If it were offered, no matter how LARGE and BOLD the warnings offered that query on Published will not return any caches older than late July 2005  and will miss many placed thereafter, and will not return Events with forward dates,  people would relentlessly complain about their bad query results. ;-)

Perhaps in the future, as there are few caches remaining that don't have Publish log, that could be a project.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

If it were offered, no matter how LARGE and BOLD the warnings offered that query on Published will not return any caches older than late July 2005  and will miss many placed thereafter, and will not return Events with forward dates,  people would relentlessly complain about their bad query results. ;-)

Interesting insight, thanks.

I don't think the placed/published date thing is a problem that needs to be fixed, but I would expect it would be relatively simple  for TPTB to automatically  undelete any deleted publish logs, or add a published log matching the existing placed date on any that never had one.

27 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

relatively simple  for TPTB to automatically  undelete any deleted publish logs, or add a published log matching the existing placed date

Interesting.  You're talking about ~54,000  caches remaining from 2000 to late July 2005, and I don't know how many later with archived publish logs.

I really don't like "publish log matching placed date", because  there are some caches with large differences between cache owner selected placed date, and the date they came live on Geocaching.com.

Publish log matching publish date (assuming that can be known) would be nice.  The old way to publish was a check box available to admins. The very old way of publishing was altering the URL, and there may be other ways that I don't know about.  I don't know those generate  anything scrapable by the site.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 2

As the original question was "published in the last week" the discussion of adding a 'missing' Published Log to older caches, while interesting, is moot.  Since the API has the ability to return such a list, adding that functionality to PQ's would be nice.  But it would take a rebuilding (if not a whole new 'item') of the PQ code for it to use the API (who knows, maybe GS is thinking/planning that).  So it seems that API Partner apps/programs are the way to do this currently.

• Helpful 1
On 1/14/2021 at 8:46 PM, The Jester said:

I have a macro that automatically downloads the PQ's and runs any additional requests (like the one I mentioned save as settings) for each day (I update multi databases each week).  

Would you be so kind to post the macro's name and maybe the settings?

Perhaps this can make it easier for me...

But there is still the point, that I have to remember to start GSAK every day / week. ;-)

I don't use a macro to download PQs but this one looks like it might do the trick:  https://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=24744&st=0&#entry185430

there's a master list of macros available at https://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php

Note you will probably need to create yourself a login on gsak.net, it's probably also a better place to ask if you're having trouble with macros etc.

13 hours ago, Oliver-HB said:

Would you be so kind to post the macro's name and maybe the settings?

Perhaps this can make it easier for me...

But there is still the point, that I have to remember to start GSAK every day / week. ;-)

It's a macro that I wrote for myself, so it's not listed anywhere but on my computers.  Not a really complex one, but not a simple few lines either.