what are these numbers that appear and how to use them?

zannalabianca

good evening everyone and thank you for the fantastic work you do, you are great!  I kindly wanted to ask you what were the numbers (meters) that appear in the image in attachments (those with an arrow, which I indicated) and the + and -?  and HOW CAN I THEY USE? (Most important question)i have a phones that supports dual frequency gps l5 and E5a satellites .. are there any OTHER COORDINATES (apart from the suggestions from the creator of the catcha) or coordinates beyond these 2 that I can follow?  furthermore, the IDENTICAL POINT THAT INDICATES ME GEOCATCHA, is it right?  (the green dot in general) I await you, it is very important (=

Screenshot_2021-01-12-20-52-21-049_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-12-20-53-46-827_com.whatsapp.jpg

Edited by zannalabianca

These numbers you marked with arrows, are showing you the current accuracy of your GPS signal.

So if you have 18 meters to a cache and accuracy of +/- 6m, it means your GPS signal is inaccurate of max. 6 meters in either direction. So the cache may be in reality closer or further away of about 6 meters.

Edited by sernikk
correction... because I made up a few things..
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, sernikk said:

These numbers you marked with arrows, are showing you the current accuracy of your GPS signal.

So if you have 18 meters to a cache and accuracy of +/- 6m, it means that the cache should be in the range of 12 to 24 meters away from you. To be more precise it shows you the approximate distance to the cache coordinates.

it's really perfect!  then, the goal with this data is to reach 0 meters (Looking at this value then? or, should I look in another way ?or did I not understand correctly, and how should I use it?)

thank you very much, super fast response (:

If the accuracy you are getting is too far out (plus or minus 134m is a rather poor accuracy) then you can also click on "open in browser" at the bottom of the cache page.

Once you have the cache page, you can copy the posted coords and paste them into another app like Google Maps. That won't have the Navigate option, but may help bring you to within 10m of the cache.

Once you are within about 15 to 10m, I suggest you then put the phone away and use your eyes. Remember that your gps may be (for example) wrong 5m to the left, and the CO's gps might have been wrong 5m to the right - putting you 10m away from the physical container. Just because your phone is saying "you are right on the spot" does not mean that you are exactly where the cache is.

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
Just now, zannalabianca said:

it's really perfect!  then, the goal with this data is to reach 0 meters (Looking at this value then? or, should I look in another way ?or did I not understand correctly, and how should I use it?)

thank you very much, super fast response (:

Yeah, no. I completely mixed up different things there, I'm sorry for that. I've edited my response ;)

Your goal is to minimize the distance to a cache to minimum. The +/- is only showing you how much you can trust your position. If it shows less than 10 meters you are pretty fine with that, but over 134 meters is complete madness.

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, zannalabianca said:

the goal with this data is to reach 0 meters

Close. With the bottom number (the plus or minus) you can't really do much about it. If you stay still in one spot for a few minutes, then your phone should get a better idea of where you are and give you better accuracy. If you are moving at a constant speed (such as driving down the highway) then your phone will usually be more accurate as well because you are moving at a predictable speed (that's just from my observation, I may be completely wrong on this).

The important number is the top one, which you want to use to get you as close to zero as you can. But in practice, you're better off getting to within 15 to 10m, then putting the phone back in your pocket and looking.

If you get to zero and you can't find the cache, walk away about 30m,  turn around and walk back slowly. You may find that your phone then puts zero in a different spot. If you keep walking away and coming back from different directions, you may be able to average out where zero probably is. This is a handy trick when you have lots of trees above blocking the satellite signal.

4 hours ago, zannalabianca said:

If your app is reporting an accuracy of +/- 0, then it is lying to you being wildly optimistic. Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPS device will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). Don't trust claims of better accuracy than that.

For geocaching purposes, keep in mind that both your device and the cache owner’s device have limited accuracy. You may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

• Upvote 1