Embarrassing mishaps - missing a waymark

Right now I'm going through the photos of our roundtrip 2019 across the Balkans. Among these I found this photo of an interesting marker in Ohrid, North Macedonia:

0-_.jpg.a887fa757bf3dc3ebb02cbbfd5c82936.jpg

I well remember that day, because the only text I could read was "Celtis australis" and I immediately thought about the category "In Search of the Celts". And I saw the Lions Club logo on it. So, I took this photo, a closeup of the Lions Club logo, the marker with some background etc.

Today I asked Google about "Celtis australis" and learned that this is a tree and it is standing right beside the marker. It was planted in 1886 to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of the year of death of St. Methodius. And 130 years later (2016) the local Lions Club erected this marker. I checked all the photos I have made with my camera, my GPS device (for accurate coordinates), my cell phone (for sending photos to my colleagues and family), my girlfriend Ingrid's cell phone, but unfortunately we didn't take at least one photo of that huge tree. It would have been the first waymark for the category "Dedicated Trees" in North Macedonia. But I've learned my lesson. From now on I will immediately ask Google what I'm seeing. :D

Anybody else with an embarrassing mishap?

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2

Aaahhhh, Andreas. I thought that, by this time, you would have been well past making such neophyte faux pas.

That said, I feel for you, partly because I'm certain that I have, on more than a single occasion, executed the very same error of omission in the past, and partly because that would have been another really fine First. (That's blue, as in Blue Ribbon, as in First Prize at the County Fair.)

As my Daddy once (actually many times) said to me - "Pay Attention ***h*le!"

Ahhh, well, Andreas. You've already done much, much more than your fair share for the community, so you're forgiven... ...

Happy New Year, Andreas & Ingrid, Stay Safe and Waymark On,

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

OK Andreas, here's the one single episode I presently consider the most embarrassing I've experienced during my Waymarking years.

Though it's not directly a Waymarking mess-up, we have Waymarked the library in question, so that should count, no?

The tale is recounted in This Poem, written in December of 2019.

The unsavory event took place when we were BK-Hunters (now T0SHEA), before I became ScroogieII.

I suspect that Barb would not disagree with me, possibly saying this is at, or near, the top of her Most Embarrassing Moments of Recent Times list, as well.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

This weekend I was creating a waymark for a free community book exchange. I was composing the long description and explaining that I was here a few years ago Waymarking the building so I know the library was put there after that date. 

But then I noticed that in my photos from 3 years ago you can see the library.  How in the world did I miss that? I look for them everywhere I go and it was right in front of me and I didn't see it. Okay well it was tucked away at the entrance to the building, but still... I should have seen it! 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 3/21/2021 at 2:37 PM, Max and 99 said:

But then I noticed that in my photos from 3 years ago you can see the library.  How in the world did I miss that? I look for them everywhere I go and it was right in front of me and I didn't see it.

Yup! Been there, done that.

My excuse is the age thing. Yours?

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII