What do you leave as a first to find prize?

black_cat1

What are these $100 bills of which you speak?  Can you mail me some examples?  :anicute:

I usually leave a cache-specific printed "Certificate of FTF", some as small as a postage stamp (to fit a container).  People seem to like them.

Untitled-pd1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, black_cat1 said:

Yes, I"m still planning my cache hiding :rolleyes:

What do you guys leave for the FTF? I've heard of people leaving $100 bills (which I definitely won't do!) But I realized that there's more of FTF prizes than just those FTF geocoins. What do you guys leave?

In my area some people leave certificates, but I personally never did such a thing, cause I'm not good at "art" :D

xWG for a start is also cool, even when this is only your personal.

Edited by sernikk
  • Funny 1
9 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

xWG?

Wooden Geocoin. It's a collectors item. Let's say it's a geocaching currency in a way ;) Very popular in Europe - mainly in Czech Republic, Poland and Germany. You can read something about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoin#Signature_items

I couldn't find any other non-commercial site with the explanation or definition, you can lookup yourself :)

Edit;

there is even a website to order your own collection if you ever start:

https://cwg.gcm.cz/

Edited by sernikk
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, black_cat1 said:

What do you guys leave for the FTF? I've heard of people leaving $100 bills (which I definitely won't do!) But I realized that there's more of FTF prizes than just those FTF geocoins. What do you guys leave?

As well as few caches, when we first started, everyone left "FTF prizes" because there were fewer cachers too.    :)

- It was a means to get someone there.  These days, with way too many (I feel) of both,  there really is no need for a FTF prize.

If your cache was good enough, most cachers here prefer simply adding "FTF" to their log.

I don't think I've seen a FTF prize on a lower-than 3T hide in ten years...

We still have quite a few real carabiners left,  so if I ever place another 5T rope hide, I'll probably leave a couple as a FTF prize .

- I left some as swag in a couple caches last year.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

I usually leave a cache-specific printed "Certificate of FTF", some as small as a postage stamp (to fit a container).  People seem to like them.

I used to do this until one time the FTF didn't take the certificate, causing the next cacher along to wonder if they were actually first even though there was already a signature in the logbook. So they didn't take it either and I ended up having to remove it myself.

• Funny 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, black_cat1 said:

I left $5 for the FTF on the first cache I had (13 years ago) and haven't left anything since.   It didn't take long to witness the drama that is associated with the FTF unofficial side game so I didn't want to encourage it by providing a "prize".  

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
50 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

- It was a means to get someone there.  These days, with way too many (I feel) of both,  there really is no need for a FTF prize.

If your cache was good enough, most cachers here prefer simply adding "FTF" to their log.

I don't think I've seen a FTF prize on a lower-than 3T hide in ten years...

Would it be bad to still do one? I was going to do it because it seemed really fun and I'd like to go all out when I finally hide a cache. Is there a reason not to or would it still be ok?

26 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I left $5 for the FTF on the first cache I had (13 years ago) and haven't left anything since.   It didn't take long to witness the drama that is associated with the FTF unofficial side game so I didn't want to encourage it by providing a "prize".  

Drama? Unofficial side of the game? uh oh

Please elaborate!

3 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

Would it be bad to still do one? I was going to do it because it seemed really fun and I'd like to go all out when I finally hide a cache. Is there a reason not to or would it still be ok?

Drama? Unofficial side of the game? uh oh

Please elaborate!

There is no official record for who is FTF on any given cache.  Anyone that choose to make a claim on being FTF can use whatever means  they choose to record their claim.  What that means is that more than one person can make a claim that they were the first to find on any given cache, and drama ensues when more than one person makes the game.  There isn't even agreement on what constitutes a FTF.  Some actually think that it's the first to log online.  Someone consider a FTF it the cache was found before it was published.  Sometimes someone accompanies the cache owner when the cache is hidden and signs the log at that time, then proclaims FTF as soon as it's published.  It's created debates and arguments between geocachers in a game that is dependent about cooperation between it's players.

There have been reported issues of caches placed in parks, then published after "business hours", but that hasn't stopped some from entering the park when it's closed to get that FTF.  

• Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

Would it be bad to still do one? I was going to do it because it seemed really fun and I'd like to go all out when I finally hide a cache.

Is there a reason not to or would it still be ok?

Sure it's fine.  If you think it'd be fun, why not, right ?  :)   Just don't think it's expected of you.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There is no official record for who is FTF on any given cache.  Anyone that choose to make a claim on being FTF can use whatever means  they choose to record their claim.  What that means is that more than one person can make a claim that they were the first to find on any given cache, and drama ensues when more than one person makes the game.  There isn't even agreement on what constitutes a FTF.  Some actually think that it's the first to log online.  Someone consider a FTF it the cache was found before it was published.  Sometimes someone accompanies the cache owner when the cache is hidden and signs the log at that time, then proclaims FTF as soon as it's published.  It's created debates and arguments between geocachers in a game that is dependent about cooperation between it's players.

There have been reported issues of caches placed in parks, then published after "business hours", but that hasn't stopped some from entering the park when it's closed to get that FTF.  

Do you think I could mitigate the problem by either not announcing the prize on the page, or just clarifying that the FTF is the first person to write their name in the physical logbook?

Just now, black_cat1 said:

Do you think I could mitigate the problem by either not announcing the prize on the page, or just clarifying that the FTF is the first person to write their name in the physical logbook?

Wait a sec, in theory, the real FTF would take the FTF prize, leaving no debate?

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

If I have a pathtag that I've acquired I would leave that.  If you have a signature item, that would be good.  My favorite signature item was from a while back.  A cacher named SecretSpy would leave these tungsten carbide inserts.  I have a few and they are really perfect.  Small but have a great heft to them.  And in various shapes.  He said he got them from work and that they were used but they sure looked new to me.  Not exactly cheap.

http://best-carbide.com/en/product/carbide-inserts.html

• Surprised 1
9 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

Am I overthinking this again?

Yep.     :laughing:

Just leave a Write Note, or in bold at bottom of the description that "there's a prize for FTF", and forgetaboutit.  

You'll  probably know what happens in logs.   :)

If you decide to write it on the cache page, please remove it before ten years is up. We're still seeing '07 caches with FTF prize info.  :D

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I used to do this until one time the FTF didn't take the certificate, causing the next cacher along to wonder if they were actually first even though there was already a signature in the logbook. So they didn't take it either and I ended up having to remove it myself.

A similar thing happened on my first cache hide.  I placed an “FTF Prize” and FTF took something else instead.

AND once, now that I’m placing certificates, FTF signed it and placed it back into the container. :anicute:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

A similar thing happened on my first cache hide.  I placed an “FTF Prize” and FTF took something else instead.

The other 2/3rds had "Choice of swag for FTF" on a couple of her caches because we experienced the same. 

- That was when folks actually traded for swag...

The last "FTF prize" I was actually FTF on was something I wasn't interested in  I mentioned I left it as an incentive for someone else to walk a bit.

But have seen the FTF prize still in the cache when I'm fifth or better.  Never scratch-offs though, they always take scratch-offs.  :D

6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

The other 2/3rds had "Choice of swag for FTF" on a couple of her caches because we experienced the same. 

- That was when folks actually traded for swag...

The last "FTF prize" I was actually FTF on was something I wasn't interested in  I mentioned I left it as an incentive for someone else to walk a bit.

But have seen the FTF prize still in the cache when I'm fifth or better.  Never scratch-offs though, they always take scratch-offs.  :D

I trade for swag!!

Do you ever take the FTF when you're later, or do you just leave it?

Leave a FTF prize if that's what you want to do. It's your first cache, make it an experience just as much for you as the finder.

I left a mountaintop pole trek, rock scramble, cache last month with a $20 bill in it. Whoever gets it, deserves it for the effort.

A bike path cache on the other hand, I don't leave any FTF prizes. Often, your hard work, turns into nothing more than a statistic for someone so they can claim their FTF for the week, for the month, whatever. They don't experience the walk, the ride, the place, they just see a mark they can put down. Really no reason to reward that.

Please realize that you are talking to the grizzled veterans here, though. Our experience will not be yours.

Edited by fbingha
  • Helpful 1

We tend to leave un-activated TBs. We put them in small plastic baggies with a sheet of paper that says: Congrats FTF!

If the cache will fit one, we'll leave one. The TBs we put are usually just whatever we can get cheapest on Shop Geocaching:D

Sometimes the FTF takes it, sometimes they don't. We don't really care. 

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, TmdAndGG said:

We tend to leave un-activated TBs. We put them in small plastic baggies with a sheet of paper that says: Congrats FTF!

If the cache will fit one, we'll leave one. The TBs we put are usually just whatever we can get cheapest on Shop Geocaching:D

Sometimes the FTF takes it, sometimes they don't. We don't really care. 

that's a great idea!!!! Super fun! I also appreciate that you have a chicken as your profile pic as well, she's adorable

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, black_cat1 said:

A  few times I've come across scratch lottery tickets.

On one occasion for a couple of my own caches I have left a FTF, 2TF & 3TF prizes. These were in caches that were part of a series but placed in more out-of-the-way spots to encourage searchers to go that little bit further. I can't remember what the prizes were were but they were something nice but to good for a trade item. I just remembered what they were - inexpensive jewellery pieces that my late wife bought on one of our cruises.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

I trade for swag!!

Do you ever take the FTF when you're later, or do you just leave it?

Rare these days.   :)

When you're refilling the cache with swag every time you do maintenance means most think the hobby is a "treasure hunt"...

I'd bet there's more than a couple new folks that don't even realize that someone other-than the site places and fills them.

When I want something I buy it. 

Not to be rude, but a cache with dollar store carabiners (there's a cache with that name nearby...) doesn't mean much when you use real ones for safety.

Most of the time I'll leave something  (if there's room in the "small" pill bottle meant as a container), otherwise it's TNLNSL.  

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Rare these days.   :)

When you're refilling the cache with swag every time you do maintenance means most think the hobby is a "treasure hunt"...

I'd bet there's more than a couple new folks that don't even realize that someone other-than the site places and fills them.

When I want something I buy it. 

Not to be rude, but a cache with dollar store carabiners (there's a cache with that name nearby...) doesn't mean much when you use real ones for safety.

Most of the time I'll leave something  (if there's room in the "small" pill bottle meant as a container), otherwise it's TNLNSL.  

I've tried like 6 different translations as 'TNLSNSL' and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it means.

• Funny 1
7 hours ago, black_cat1 said:

For my first cache I left $5 to cover the park entrance/parking fee.

On a particularly difficult Christmas themed puzzle cache I left a 1 oz. (real) silver Christmas themed coin. That's the most expensive thing I've ever left. It was worth about $17 at the time. Too expensive to do often but it really got people excited.

I have a button machine and for a while I made custom FTF buttons but they didn't seem too popular and were often not taken.

I've also occasionally left gold (colored) dollar coins (Susan B. Anthony, etc) when I can get them. A fun thing people like, that doesn't cost a bunch.

These days, if I leave anything, it's usually an unactivated trackable of some kind. These seem popular. Sometimes they're used and sometimes re-gifted as another FTF prize. 

Probably the best prize I've seen someone else leave is a one year premium membership gift card. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, sernikk said:

Wooden Geocoin. It's a collectors item. Let's say it's a geocaching currency in a way ;) Very popular in Europe - mainly in Czech Republic, Poland and Germany. You can read something about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoin#Signature_items

I couldn't find any other non-commercial site with the explanation or definition, you can lookup yourself :)

Edit;

there is even a website to order your own collection if you ever start:

https://cwg.gcm.cz/

I released a christmas-themed TB of mine into a christmas-themed cache (not my cache), and attached a wooden christmas ornament to it as a detachable bit of swag for whoever might be FTF my trackable. Is that grotesquely abnormal or unwise? 

In any case, it was, I believe an ornament which came from a German christmas market so perhaps in central Europe, wood is a more fashionable thing to make trinkets out of. 

Edited by mysterion604

In our area and to the region just north of us, the FTF unofficial game is pretty much out of control, with two sets of teams going out at night when published, getting FTF within hours of release, etc.  As an aside, at least the rest of us future finders get an idea really quickly whether the coords in a new cache are good...

We just published a couple a few weeks ago in a county park, and the Reviewer sent us an email in the evening that our caches had no issues but that they were not going to release the caches to the site until 9am the next day to keep people from violating the rules of the park by going out after nightfall to find the caches.

Two take-a-ways from the facts above:

1) We have THE BEST Reviewer, who was willing to let us know that there were no issues and that the cache would be release the next day.

2) With this crazy FTF side game, why bother putting a FTF prize in a new cache?  There is no need to motivate people to go get the new cache...

Having said that, we are planning a cache that will require a somewhat obnoxious hike, and we will probably put something like scratch off lottery tickets or unactivated TB in that one.

1 hour ago, Clancy's Crew said:

We just published a couple a few weeks ago in a county park, and the Reviewer sent us an email in the evening that our caches had no issues but that they were not going to release the caches to the site until 9am the next day to keep people from violating the rules of the park by going out after nightfall to find the caches.

I've actually asked the volunteer reviewer to publish my caches when the location was legally accessible. They've been happy to do so.

50 minutes ago, niraD said:

I've actually asked the volunteer reviewer to publish my caches when the location was legally accessible. They've been happy to do so.

I've submitted some of mine just before a violent thunderstorm will hit.  Even the FTF hounds tend to wait. B)

And if it's something that cachers may identify as a series, I don't submit them all at once, nor on any particular schedule.  That way the same cacher doesn't grab all the FTFs.  I know "FTF" isn't an official thing, but neither is activating a series all at once. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
12 hours ago, psychpineapple said:

Last year, I submitted one at the end of Nov. It took around a week to get it published, and the reviewer said that they were waiting for the snowstorm to end (or something like that). I was impressed :)

Winter tip.  Don't hide a cache just after a snowstorm.   Finders will just follow your tracks directly to the cache.

• Funny 1

Rarely will I leave F.T.F. prizes simply because many of caches are too tiny or odd to work. I live in a more urban environment, so it's tough to hide biggest stuff. I am hiding another ammo can however, about the same distance from my home. I think I may just leave $5 as a FTF prize...but I'm leaving a trackable or two as well inside.

It's tough making bigger caches to fit multiple items in my area, but oh well, there are a few spots around.

3 hours ago, DreamMachine74 said:

Rarely will I leave F.T.F. prizes simply because many of caches are too tiny or odd to work. I live in a more urban environment, so it's tough to hide biggest stuff. I am hiding another ammo can however, about the same distance from my home. I think I may just leave $5 as a FTF prize...but I'm leaving a trackable or two as well inside.

It's tough making bigger caches to fit multiple items in my area, but oh well, there are a few spots around.

I would not recommend leaving cash in a cache as a FTF prize. It could lead to a situation where it may become expected, or even considered the norm, then you could get FTFrs moaning if they find a cache with nothing for their "effort"(?)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, colleda said:

I would not recommend leaving cash in a cache as a FTF prize. It could lead to a situation where it may become expected, or even considered the norm, then you could get FTFrs moaning if they find a cache with nothing for their "effort"(?)

Yep.   :)

Besides being a "beta tester"  for no-find newb phone users, this was another reason the other 2/3rds finally gave up that side-game.

The friendly competition became a whine fest for those who couldn't make an area quickly. 

She was an old-hand by then, with gear ready in the car, and boots at the door. 

What ? You never saw a person with army boots and PJs at midnight in the woods before ?     :D

Well, eventually people were actually logging "Hey !  How about giving someone else a chance !" on cache pages.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the idea was friendly competition to be first.

- When it's degraded to "Who's next ?"  it's not the same game anymore...

Anyway... 

At an event I finally asked, expecting to get hassled. Turns out folks thought there was big money to be made in FTF, and she was "hogging it all".

I've been against this hobby being called a "treasure hunt" ever since...

• Upvote 2
On 1/13/2021 at 6:05 AM, barefootjeff said:

Funny - years ago (5.5 actually, just looked it up), we were out caching on a new series - we found the first cache, and there was a medal in there - a plastic FTF medal. Samuel (aged 5 then) was thrilled to grab it, even though we weren't FTF on that cache. Up the series there was a (presumably) hard cache, because as far as we knew then, FTF hadn't been claimed, there had been two DNFs, from rather accomplished finders too (now friends of ours). We strolled along, I think Samuel was riding his Thomas the Tank Engine Bike, and I was pushing my youngest (not quite 3) in his push-bike. We did manage FTF on the hard one, our first FTF.... and to this day it remains our best FTF..... 

So, my point is - sometimes, those crappy little FTF prizes make a little boys day, and are remembered long after.....

We often leave 'scratch-it' instant lotto tickets, funny - they always get taken?? :D

Here he is - proud as punch, and still a dead-keen geocacher to this day.

IMG_1268.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, lee737 said:

Funny - years ago (5.5 actually, just looked it up), we were out caching on a new series - we found the first cache, and there was a medal in there - a plastic FTF medal. Samuel (aged 5 then) was thrilled to grab it, even though we weren't FTF on that cache. Up the series there was a (presumably) hard cache, because as far as we knew then, FTF hadn't been claimed, there had been two DNFs, from rather accomplished finders too (now friends of ours). We strolled along, I think Samuel was riding his Thomas the Tank Engine Bike, and I was pushing my youngest (not quite 3) in his push-bike. We did manage FTF on the hard one, our first FTF.... and to this day it remains our best FTF..... 

So, my point is - sometimes, those crappy little FTF prizes make a little boys day, and are remembered long after.....

We often leave 'scratch-it' instant lotto tickets, funny - they always get taken?? :D

Here he is - proud as punch, and still a dead-keen geocacher to this day.

IMG_1268.jpg

Catherine Hill Bay?