Notification for NEW trackable?

nn4zz

Is there a way to get a notification when a trackable (new or old) is dropped in a nearby cache?  There are settings for premium members to get notifications for new caches along with other filters for distance, cache type, etc.  .  I haven’t been able to find a similar setup regarding notifications for the trackables. 

thanks...al

Not that I'm aware of through the site...    You're getting notifications on something that's stationary, not flittering cache-to-cache.

Once a new cache  not yours is placed, you no longer get notifications about it unless you put it on your watchlist (watch is to the right of all cache pages).  

If someone said "dropping off a bug" on a cache you had on your watchlist, that log would be sent in email as a notification.

- You'd probably have to look to see which trackable...

If you're looking for trackables already, you can find which caches supposedly have one in it with a simple cache search.

- They'd be in the "Info" column, along with the premium member-only mention, and red wrenches.

Realize that just because the column says a trackable's there, doesn't mean it is anymore, or ever was.   ;)

Edited by cerberus1
3 hours ago, nn4zz said:

Is there a way to get a notification when a trackable (new or old) is dropped in a nearby cache?  There are settings for premium members to get notifications for new caches along with other filters for distance, cache type, etc.  .  

I haven’t been able to find a similar setup regarding notifications for the trackables. 

To be clear...  If you drop your own trackable into a cache (you didn't say which, so just coverin' bases  ; -), you get notified of every action your trackable receives but "Visit" logs.

If someone visits numerous caches any length of time, you'll be happy about that.   :D

12 minutes ago, nn4zz said:

Thanks, it would be a nice feature.  Like First to Find for caches.....a notification when a TB is dropped would let TB chasers try be the one to retrieve it from nearby caches.  

I'd rather not turn trackables into yet-another FTF game.    I feel it'd create a whole other reason to find the things...  

"Chasing", and responsibly Retrieve and Drop cache-to-cache not the same. 

Hoarders would have a convenient method of building their inventories too.

1 minute ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd rather not turn trackables into yet-another FTF game.    I feel it'd create a whole other reason to find the things...  

"Chasing", and responsibly Retrieve and Drop cache-to-cache not the same. 

Hoarders would have a convenient method of building their inventories too.

I didn't think about the downside.....Hoarders would have a convenient method of building their inventories too.

I was just thinking it would be nice to be alerted to new trackables and help move them along...maybe not an issue if the alert was only for NON-Collectable TBs. 

It seems new features could  be used for good or not. 

...Al

On 1/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, nn4zz said:

Is there a way to get a notification when a trackable (new or old) is dropped in a nearby cache?

There are a limited number of caches near me that are both large enough to hold TB's, and "friendly" enough (not muggled a lot, visited fairly frequently, etc) to have TB's dropped.  What I would do is put those select caches on my Watchlist; most people mention dropping bugs when they log a find so you would get that in the notification.  Or visit those caches and check to see if there are any TB's recently dropped.

Since the Watchlist is cache specific, or TB specific, without knowing which TB might be dropped where, it's hard to get notifications!  Your best bet would be to monitor those nearby caches where TB's are likely to be dropped.

• Funny 1
On 1/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, nn4zz said:

I didn't think about the downside.....Hoarders would have a convenient method of building their inventories too.

I was just thinking it would be nice to be alerted to new trackables and help move them along...maybe not an issue if the alert was only for NON-Collectable TBs. 

It seems new features could  be used for good or not. 

...Al

A hoarder doesn't give a hoot whether the TB is marked Collectable or Not.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1