Stop Found Cache Notifications

Calcows

Anybody know if there is a way to stop email notifications of "found etc." for caches owned?.  I have turned off all email preferences except Newsletter in my profile.  I know I could write an email rule to put in the trash, but logic says this would be an obvious preference setting.  

Would still want to keep notifications for new / released caches.

• Funny 4
39 minutes ago, Calcows said:

Anybody know if there is a way to stop email notifications of "found etc." for caches owned?.  I have turned off all email preferences except Newsletter in my profile. 

I know I could write an email rule to put in the trash, but logic says this would be an obvious preference setting.  

Write an "email rule" if you don't want to receive "Found It" logs from thankful cachers.   The "etc." is the best part. Thanks.  :D

1 hour ago, Calcows said:

Anybody know if there is a way to stop email notifications of "found etc." for caches owned?

It's a cache owner's responsibility "To make sure your geocache is in good health, monitor the logs and visit the cache site periodically" so allowing you to disable those logs would run counter to this.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 3
1 hour ago, Calcows said:

Anybody know if there is a way to stop email notifications of "found etc." for caches owned?. ...  I know I could write an email rule to put in the trash,

One of the responsibilities of being a cache owner is to monitor cache logs and the cache page; getting a notification when someone posts a note, writes a log, etc on your cache page, to me, is tremendously helpful - I don't have to visit the cache page for all my owned caches to see what is happening, I can just read through emails and then take action as needed.  More than once I've been alerted to a problem, and I could then resolve it before there were other negative logs.

I enjoy reading logs cachers leave on my hides.  Yes,, some are simply TFTC or :), but some leave very nice logs, and some are informative and helpful or alert me that the cache has moved or is NOT the one I hid!  

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I doubt it as there aren't any email notifications for AL logs. The only indication you get of any activity is when someone logs the bonus cache.

Thanks. That makes sense, and looking into it I see that the OP has a series of caches along a trail. Those tend to be popular and generate a lot of logs. 

Screenshot_1.png.049a0042e82d9ca8cd85962eb05a1c57.png

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Calcows said:

Anybody know if there is a way to stop email notifications of "found etc." for caches owned?.  I have turned off all email preferences except Newsletter in my profile.  I know I could write an email rule to put in the trash, but logic says this would be an obvious preference setting.  

As a cache owner you are meant to read the logs to see if there are any problems, because it's your responsibility to go fix any problems. If you don't want to do this, you should not have published the caches. In theory problems should be reported with a NM log, but in practice this often doesn't happen, and the only way you might learn about a problem, is by reading the found logs.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

As a cache owner you are meant to read the logs to see if there are any problems, because it's your responsibility to go fix any problems.

If you don't want to do this, you should not have published the caches.

In theory problems should be reported with a NM log, but in practice this often doesn't happen, and the only way you might learn about a problem, is by reading the found logs.

Yep.  We read all logs and stop there n check before they become an NM. Locals just passing by email us through the system too if issues.

I kinda agree with the second sentence, but we've seen so many examples over the years of "place n forget" hides, to realize this happens a lot.

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

And that is one of the things about ALs that annoys me - no logs.... :(

There ARE logs (though people don 't have to write anything, and some don't) but I, as a CO, need to open the app or the cache page on my laptop to see who left a log.  So there are logs, but there are no notifications when someone completes the lab, or leaves a log. (Not arguing with you Lee - just clarifying!  I agree, and it annoys me too, that there are no notifications for AL's).

4 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

So there are logs, but there are no notifications when someone completes the lab, or leaves a log. (Not arguing with you Lee - just clarifying!  I

I should have been more specific.... yep, no notifications.... that's the main reason we've got bonus caches on ours, for notifications, and a decent write up (at least from some...). I didn't sense an argument :)

10 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I should have been more specific.... yep, no notifications.... that's the main reason we've got bonus caches on ours, for notifications, and a decent write up (at least from some...). I didn't sense an argument :)

Yeah, my Wreck of the Maitland AL had a bunch of finds in the first day after it went live in September but had been deathly quiet after that to the point where I'd given up checking the activity logs. It was only a find on the bonus last Friday that made me aware someone else had finally done it.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe it's just me, but the thing that bothers me most about this is the lack of respect paid the finder's effort in logging thanks.

Sure some may be TFTC, but others are also giving FPs...

Agree completely, though I wonder whether the OP is just trying to avoid the disappointment of another ‘TFTC’ log? ?

• Funny 1
21 hours ago, Calcows said:

So, you want to place caches, but you don't want to get emails for the logs anymore. I'm not sure that's a great solution, as reading logs is how I track whether my caches need maintenance. (Not everyone leaves a needs maintenance log, some just obliquely refer to issues in their found it log.) But you seem to have a pretty good track record of owner maintenance, so hopefully you have something else in mind.

You can't stop getting logs for caches you own. You can either set a new primary email address, or you can set a filter rule for your  emails that sends all of a particular set of emails to its own location. So if you wanted all your PTA found it logs to go someplace different from your other cache logs, you could set a rule for your emails with "PTA" in the subject to go to a separate PTA folder.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/10/2021 at 3:56 PM, L0ne.R said:

the OP has a series of caches along a trail. Those tend to be popular and generate a lot of logs. 

If the OP is getting so many logs that it is crowding their Inbox, perhaps they could open a separate email account (like a gmail) just for geocaching and update in Settings/ Email Preferences. That way, the logs wont overflow their main inbox and they all will be available in one easy location.

Edited by G0ldNugget
tyop
  • Upvote 1

Email filters.... I have an inbox for local notifications around us, but let my owned cache logs come to my main inbox.... getting one can be a highlight in my day.... doesn't happen every day :(

My sons caches go on my watchlist as soon as they publish, and they divert to my inbox too.

12 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Email filters.... I have an inbox for local notifications around us, but let my owned cache logs come to my main inbox.... getting one can be a highlight in my day.... doesn't happen every day :(

My sons caches go on my watchlist as soon as they publish, and they divert to my inbox too.

Yeah, mine were deathly quiet during December, with only two finds logged and both early in the month, but in the last week things have livened up a bit as a bunch of nemophilists from up north invaded this sleepy hollow :). I have a dedicated email account just for geocaching stuff so it stays separate from the real world.

• Upvote 1
On 1/10/2021 at 11:02 AM, Calcows said:

Lord people, settle down!  I was asking a question, not suggesting murder! As usual, most people can not stick answering the question and they ramble all over the place, spewing mostly irrelevant babble.

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 3

I know most points have been made pretty clear here that we should be getting these emails and reading every one. I get that. 

But, my email doesn't allow for filtering and frankly, turning off found notifications seems like an obvious feature. I'd love to turn off found logs for a few of my more popular caches and only leave DNFs, NM.

The newly added cache owner dashboard makes it simple to monitor logs and caches. Heck, even getting a weekly digest email with all of the logs and other updates would be a more reasonable option.

Anyways, just putting my vote towards an option to filter emails per geocache, digest emails or some other option that is something besides a ton of emails.

• Surprised 4
  • Helpful 1

Guys, it's great that you should "read every log". When there was a tenth of the geocaches in 2005, it was fine. That's not realistic if you have a power trail, 50+ caches, etc. What would be great is if there was someway to ask for a check, or let someone know it might be missing. Wait, "Needs maintenance" or "DNF". That is what the purpose of those logs are. I'm all for getting those notifications! 

• Funny 2
20 minutes ago, combatnurse2003 said:

Wait, "Needs maintenance" or "DNF".

It's great to prioritize NM, NA, DNF, and Note logs. But a CO should also review Find logs, because not everyone creates a separate log to report issues with a cache, especially since Groundspeak changed the interface for NM and NA logs.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/6/2021 at 7:14 PM, Calcows said:

not suggesting murder!

I write a unique log for every cache I find, often with photos showing my stand-in cache finder with the signed log and also some cool scenes in the area. Even caches on a "power trail".  But there's no requirement to hunt all caches on a PT, so my logs are for the one or two that I hunt, whatever made them stand out to me.

Type info in the cache description that you don't want cache logs and I promise you won't get any from me.  Problem solved. ^_^

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
16 minutes ago, niraD said:

It's great to prioritize NM, NA, DNF, and Note logs. But a CO should also review Find logs, because not everyone creates a separate log to report issues with a cache, especially since Groundspeak changed the interface for NM and NA logs.

+1

I may type a minor issue into my Found log, such as “log sheet is moist but signable”. I don't know any Power-Trail-Type Cache Owner that considers that an issue, certainly not worthy of an NM. But if not addressed, then it needs the NM after everything is soaked and moldy because logs were ignored.

Since cache issues are not addressed under the current system, I'd suggest that making it trivial to not be sent logs would make the situation worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

Type info in the cache description that you don't want cache logs and I promise you won't get any from me.  Problem solved. ^_^

Alternately, archive the caches that you don't have time to monitor, and you won't have any unmonitored log notifications.  Problem solved. ^_^

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, kunarion said:

I may type a minor issue into my Found log, such as “log sheet is moist but signable”. I don't know any Power-Trail-Type Cache Owner that considers that an issue, certainly not worthy of an NM. But if not addressed, then it needs the NM after everything is soaked and moldy because logs were ignored.

Since cache issues are not addressed under the current system, I'd suggest that making it trivial to not be sent logs would make the situation worse.

Yep.  I like to walk.  Sometimes that walk is on a "power trail" just to actually get a walk in, since there's so many "50' from your car" hides.

I write the same things on each cache in a power trail as a single five miles away.  Weather, "stuff" seen, and the condition of the cache n log.

We read all logs, and thought most do. 

We act when someone mentions an issue, most times it's a pencil missing that was taken with ten others (+ erasers) before them...

Often, I'm the only one for months after the first "everything's soaked !" logs to leave an NM. 

By then, because the CO didn't bother to read Found It logs, the cache has become a mycology experiment...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

I think most answers here are the exact reason why I don't want to read the same pointless "daily found" logs 10 times for a series of traditionals: The entitlement of the users.

When logs weren't just "spam", like in the early days, I gladly read them. Now it is rare having a log that even has anything to do with the cache (instead telling some story about the cacher which i couldnt care less about). Having an option to only get emails for NM seems like the most obvious, proper solution.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
1 hour ago, Frotty said:

I think most answers here are the exact reason why I don't want to read the same pointless "daily found" logs 10 times for a series of traditionals: The entitlement of the users.

When logs weren't just "spam", like in the early days, I gladly read them. Now it is rare having a log that even has anything to do with the cache (instead telling some story about the cacher which i couldnt care less about). Having an option to only get emails for NM seems like the most obvious, proper solution.

Tell me you didn't read most of the responses to this, without telling me...

...but since not reading things that likely contain important information is your solution, that wasn't terribly surprising. 

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1