Oregon 700 Live Geocaching shows archived caches

3isamagic#

I'm running into a problem because my Oregon 700 is displaying archived caches in the list of caches that are available on Geocaching Live. After a few odd DNF's, we began to do some research and determined on geocaching.com that those caches were actually archived.  At this point, the only way we can play is to load a cache, then go over the logs and see if they've not been found in forever, indicating they've been muggled or whatever, which is of course extremely frustrating.  Does anyone have any ideas?  

6 hours ago, 3isamagic# said:

At this point, the only way we can play is to load a cache, then go over the logs and see if they've not been found in forever, indicating they've been muggled or whatever, which is of course extremely frustrating.  Does anyone have any ideas?  

Load Lists and Pocket Queries manually, delete or over-write old ones. I stopped using the Live feature at bug #79,335,192 or so, and never looked back.

It is possible that the database developed an issue, in which case, StephanD's post above may help.

10 hours ago, 3isamagic# said:

I'm running into a problem because my Oregon 700 is displaying archived caches in the list of caches that are available on Geocaching Live. After a few odd DNF's, we began to do some research and determined on geocaching.com that those caches were actually archived.  At this point, the only way we can play is to load a cache, then go over the logs and see if they've not been found in forever, indicating they've been muggled or whatever, which is of course extremely frustrating.  Does anyone have any ideas?  

This may not be an issue with GCLive.  It may be that you have a set of caches already loaded on the device that includes dead caches.  Don't know how long you've had your 700, but if one of the first things you didn't do was wipe the preloaded caches that Garmin supplied, that's going to be an ongoing issue for you.

Delete all of the files from within the Garmin/GPX and Garmin/GZZ folders on your device and start fresh.

Still no dice.  I tried everything suggested, and even went so far as to do a factory reset of my Oregon.  It *still* shows the archived caches.  Meanwhile, a third-party app that I'm not allowed to name here, which is also connected to my premium account but runs through my phone, accurately shows the archived caches (or, more correctly, *doesn't* show them).  What the heck is the point in spending the extra money on a device with Live Geocaching when I need to install pocket queries like it's 2012?  I'm planning on calling Garmin tomorrow, but I suspect it will be hard to reach anyone given the pandemic (which, of course, isn't their fault).  

I also am amazed at how counterintuitive just about every darned thing is on this device.  I mean, I've had smartphones for over a decade, and all of them, regardless of brand, price or operating system, simply *worked.*  It's embarrassing to take friends out for our hobby only to fight with the tech, which should, by all rights, be really easy to use, especially 21 years into the game.  On that point: can anyone recommend a GPS receiver unit that's actually easy to use?  At this point, we're left with using the (redacted) app on our phones to see if a cache is viable, then using the GPS receiver to track it down.  It's ridiculous.

"we never have downloaded caches to these devices"

We did not suggest that you had.  Please note from prior post:

"Don't know how long you've had your 700, but if one of the first things you didn't do was wipe the preloaded caches that Garmin supplied, that's going to be an ongoing issue for you."

Your Garmin came with a VERY large preload of caches in *.gzz format.

If there is no Garmin subfolder, you have no system at all, no maps, and no caches.

If there is no GPX or GZZ folder under that Garmin folder, you have no caches on your device.

This sort of file structure (apart from the addition of GZZ) has been in use since the Garmin Colorado was released.

We know that this isn't the case, so ...

Please look again.

Edited by ecanderson
16 minutes ago, 3isamagic# said:

Still no dice.  I tried everything suggested, and even went so far as to do a factory reset of my Oregon.  It *still* shows the archived caches.  Meanwhile, a third-party app that I'm not allowed to name here, which is also connected to my premium account but runs through my phone, accurately shows the archived caches (or, more correctly, *doesn't* show them).  What the heck is the point in spending the extra money on a device with Live Geocaching when I need to install pocket queries like it's 2012?  I'm planning on calling Garmin tomorrow, but I suspect it will be hard to reach anyone given the pandemic (which, of course, isn't their fault).  

I also am amazed at how counterintuitive just about every darned thing is on this device.  I mean, I've had smartphones for over a decade, and all of them, regardless of brand, price or operating system, simply *worked.*  It's embarrassing to take friends out for our hobby only to fight with the tech, which should, by all rights, be really easy to use, especially 21 years into the game.  On that point: can anyone recommend a GPS receiver unit that's actually easy to use?  At this point, we're left with using the (redacted) app on our phones to see if a cache is viable, then using the GPS receiver to track it down.  It's ridiculous.

I use my 750 as if it’s a 650.  I load GPX files (Pocket Queries) like it’s 2012. :anicute:

That’s because of early flakiness, and then more recent issues that others had.  It seemed like Live worked fine when I tried it.  But if it showed an archived cache,  that wouldn’t bother me. Anyway, you can set it up so the displays work as simple or retro or modern as you like.  It’s that flexible.  Yeah, you’d probably have bought the cheaper one instead...

Post the caches in question and I’ll see what happens on my map.  I would have expected the steps previously posted would do the trick.

Edited by kunarion

I was mistaken when I said I didn't have those subfolders - I was looking at the wrong tree.  My mistake. :huh:

When I did look in those folders (once I found them), I deleted what was in them, the restarted.

Same deal: verified archived and/or disabled caches are showing in my list of available nearby caches on my Oregon, and are not being displayed on my third party app on my phone (which is what I would expect on my Oregon).

2 minutes ago, 3isamagic# said:

I was mistaken when I said I didn't have those subfolders - I was looking at the wrong tree.  My mistake. :huh:

When I did look in those folders (once I found them), I deleted what was in them, the restarted.

Same deal: verified archived and/or disabled caches are showing in my list of available nearby caches on my Oregon, and are not being displayed on my third party app on my phone (which is what I would expect on my Oregon).

Now that you deleted the preloaded files, delete the SQL folder one more time.  That should do it.  I hope.

Edited by kunarion
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Post the caches in question and I’ll see what happens on my map.  I would have expected the steps previously posted would do the trick.

Awesome.  Here's two: GC721M8 (I Hate Waiting Rooms) and GC7YZYB (Creatures of the Night).

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Also (to continue the rant, please forgive me)...we are blessed to be able to travel fairly frequently (well, pre-pandemic, anyway) because of a daughter who works for a major airline.  We bought these units specifically because we've often gone to the airport and picked a city at random to spend the day in, knowing we could just use the Geocaching Live feature to explore a new place.  It's entirely possible that DNF's we got in, say, San Diego or Medford, Oregon were actually archived caches.  And that's frustrating.  I don't mind a legit DNF - I'll gladly bushwhack until the cows come home to find a cache (and even fell straight into a huge patch of stinging nettles once to get a FTF!), but if it's not there, I don't want to waste my time.  I know everyone else feels the same way. /rant

32 minutes ago, 3isamagic# said:

"Delete the SQL folder."

The entire folder, or just its contents?  I can't imagine it making a difference, but still...

The folder gets rebuilt upon reboot if deleted.

If the problem was the preloaded caches, they were again placed back into the SQL database in the meantime.  

I’d bet you can get it all cleaned up and it will work great after that.  I kind of like Live, but my issue is signal loss, so I don’t even risk it.  But your question opens up some things to keep in mind if Live is being used and GPX files also are loaded. 

7 minutes ago, 3isamagic# said:

Deleted the entire SQL folder, cleared the Geocaching Live data...still showing archived caches.

I'm able to see that they're archived or disabled through my third-party app.

I'm at wit's end with this silly thing.

I wonder if we have a larger issue with gc.com, then?  What 3rd party app?  Those shouldn't be showing archived caches, either, unless specifically requested by GC code by the user.

Okay, I think I might have solved it, y'all...

I noticed that when I plugged my Oregon into my PC, *two* devices would show up: the Oregon, and a separate device my computer called a USB drive.  I am pretty certain that the USB drive is actually the SD card in the unit.  There are SQL folders present in *both* locations.  I just deleted the folders in both locations, and when I rebooted my Oregon, it showed "no Geocaches."

I just refreshed GC Live, and the archived caches are gone!  (Disabled ones show up, but I think that's normal, I guess?)

Anyway, success!  Thank you all for your help. :D

Edited by 3isamagic#
  • Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

I wonder if we have a larger issue with gc.com, then?  What 3rd party app?  Those shouldn't be showing archived caches, either, unless specifically requested by GC code by the user.

I gave the name of the third-party app in an identical post I made yesterday, and an administrator took it down for giving its name.  Not sure if this will pass muster, but let's say the third party app's name rhymes with "b:neo." :D

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 3isamagic# said:

Okay, I think I might have solved it, y'all...

I noticed that when I plugged my Oregon into my PC, *two* devices would show up: the Oregon, and a separate device my computer called a USB drive.  I am pretty certain that the USB drive is actually the SD card in the unit.  There are SQL folders present in *both* locations.  I just deleted the folders in both locations, and when I rebooted my Oregon, it showed "no Geocaches."

I just refreshed GC Live, and the archived caches are gone!  (Disabled ones show up, but I think that's normal, I guess?)

Anyway, success!  Thank you all for your help. :D

Glad you finally got that sorted out!

The Oregon 7x0 is by far the most versatile GPSr Garmin has to offer for geocachers at the moment, and no other touchscreen comes close for the price. It is not a device that can be mastered in an evening, or really even in a week, but once you learn how to accomplish the tasks you desire using it, I think you will be quite pleased with its capabilities. You can learn a lot more about how your Garmin Oregon 7x0 works here.