Creating a Geocache Project

nicky23djb

I am looking to do my Geocaching project in my local area and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if they would mind sharing their experience/ideas. The project is to create Geocaches across my town to make it one of the densest Geocaching areas in the United Kingdom. Hope to create between 20-30 Geocaches over the next year. Cheers

4 hours ago, nicky23djb said:

Geocaching project

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "geocaching project"?

From your post, it sounds like you plan on putting out a group of caches. There's nothing wrong with that, well done! Having a quick look at your profile, you've currently got six finds in small-ish area. Before you start placing your own caches, I would encourage you to find some more. There is no magic number of caches to find, but generally it is recommended to find something as high as 100 or as low as 20 before you start placing your own.

The reasons for this vary, but basically are so you can get an idea of what caches are like in your area. If you have an idea of what other people have placed / found, then you'll have a good guide to use on how to rate your hides, what kinds of clues to give and more importantly - what lasts. If you find a bunch of caches that have been in play for over five years, then that will guide you on what will survive. You'll also want to have a look at how many times those CO's have needed to do maintenance due to the weather or things going missing.

The next question is are you prepared to do the required maintenance? With placing caches comes responsibility, to both make sure the cache is in  good condition during its life and to remove the remains if at some stage down the track you decide you don't want to play any more.

Anybody can grab a little plastic bottle, paint it black, and shove it into the gaps between bricks in a wall. What you should be doing is looking at a given area and figuring out why people would want to come visit this place. Does it have history? Is there an interesting building? A rare tree? Some particularly clever graffiti?

Also, it'd be a good idea to have a go at other cache types. So far all you have found are traditionals, see if you can track down some multi's, letterboxes, mystery and other cache types. It might turn out that you really like puzzle caches but you don't know yet because you haven't found any.

• Helpful 3
5 hours ago, nicky23djb said:

The project is to create Geocaches across my town to make it one of the densest Geocaching areas in the United Kingdom.

Not wishing to rain on your parade, but why is this your goal?  Wouldn’t it better to get a reputation as someone that places quality caches in great locations?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Anybody can grab a little plastic bottle, paint it black, and shove it into the gaps between bricks in a wall. What you should be doing is looking at a given area and figuring out why people would want to come visit this place. Does it have history? Is there an interesting building? A rare tree? Some particularly clever graffiti?

Yes! Something that's always foremost in my mind when I'm contemplating a new cache is that quote from briansnat in the Guidelines:

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot."

• Upvote 1

I would like to be a CO as well, actually more than finding caches and puzzling myself, although I don't find it difficult. (I prefer to set up and maintain events for others than to attend it myself...).

Here in my area we have many interesting historical locations which could be great locations for caching, while no caches are there yet.

I just started with GC but that would be my major fun. I've watched dozens of youtube video's for ideas and tips.

How can I start doing this?

Edited by yorynl
3 hours ago, yorynl said:

I would like to be a CO as well, actually more than finding caches and puzzling myself, although I don't find it difficult. (I prefer to set up and maintain events for others than to attend it myself...).

Here in my area we have many interesting historical locations which could be great locations for caching, while no caches are there yet.

I just started with GC but that would be my major fun. I've watched dozens of youtube video's for ideas and tips.

How can I start doing this?

Like the original poster, finding a variety of caches first is a good step in planning your own.    :)

For example, having permission to place caches is an important part of the process. 

- Do you know why no caches are in the area you're speaking of ?   Could be no caches are there because folks can't get permission.

The "starting" is pretty basic, and explained in Geocaching 101, where all new members should have familiarized themselves with before starting.

Another good reference is a Blog from this past Summer.

Good luck.

20 hours ago, nicky23djb said:

I am looking to do my Geocaching project in my local area and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if they would mind sharing their experience/ideas. The project is to create Geocaches across my town to make it one of the densest Geocaching areas in the United Kingdom. Hope to create between 20-30 Geocaches over the next year. Cheers

When I hear Geocaching "project", I think of scouting, and the projects needed to acquire merit badges.   :)

Maybe it's just me, but "the densest geocaching area" can be done by anyone with a bag fulla film cans or pill bottles.

"The densest" will already be skipped by me, as over the years that usually means mediocre containers in places no one really wanted to visit, "but it gives you a smiley".     ;)

You're not the only one to think this way though, and I can't help wonder what would make someone with so few finds concern themselves with smiley count totals right off the bat.

What impresses us is the new person that creates an awesome caching experience,  with only one hide done well.

• Upvote 3

For me it's not collecting only the smilies, or focus on only the easy ones. It's just to create the adventure with a story behind it.

I don't think permission is not the problem in this area. The adventure for me would be to create interesting caches, instead of finding them all.

I have a background as a travel agent and have good knowledge of (Dutch) history.

We'll see how things turn out when I start creating. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the replies!

• Upvote 1
On 1/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, nicky23djb said:

The idea behind the project is to create almost a Storymap on my local area with all the touristy hot spots, hidden gems, beautiful viewing points, historical characters & natural areas & parklands that make my local area what it is. I think I could realistically create the Geocaches with the support of the local council as most of the areas will be on Council owned lands, plus I know alot of the community & sports groups in the area who would be interested.

17 hours ago, nicky23djb said:

The idea behind the project is to create almost a Storymap on my local area with all the touristy hot spots, hidden gems, beautiful viewing points, historical characters & natural areas & parklands that make my local area what it is. I think I could realistically create the Geocaches with the support of the local council as most of the areas will be on Council owned lands, plus I know alot of the community & sports groups in the area who would be interested.

You'd do well to thoroughly educate yourself about the policies regarding commercial tie-ins and 'agenda-based' geocaches, including advertising / enticing people to come to local attractions and facilities.

Some of it is nuanced, where even experienced, long-time cachers struggle.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:41 PM, nicky23djb said:

Consider quality over quantity

• Helpful 1