FTF Updates

After several years of Geocaching, we were fortunate enough to log our FTF.   I am just wondering how these FTF are updated & identified  in our stats, either Project -GC or  the regular Geo stats?

I noticed that you may find and sign the logbook first but by the time you post you find. others have post the find ahead of you.  They are not claiming a FTF.  Just not sure what triggers an FTF in the system.  Is it something the CO must update or verify. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin_Man said:

After several years of Geocaching, we were fortunate enough to log our FTF.   I am just wondering how these FTF are updated & identified  in our stats, either Project -GC or  the regular Geo stats?

I noticed that you may find and sign the logbook first but by the time you post you find. others have post the find ahead of you.  They are not claiming a FTF.  Just not sure what triggers an FTF in the system.  Is it something the CO must update or verify. 

You may use Project-GC (for example), to format your FTF logs so they can be filtered:

https://project-gc.com/Home/FAQ#1673218354

Most CO's don't do anything in particular for the "FTF".  I check logs, and on special caches, I change the cache description to "congratulate the FTF" for fun.  But not for all caches.

Edited by kunarion
17 minutes ago, Ramblin_Man said:

Just not sure what triggers an FTF in the system.  Is it something the CO must update or verify. 

FTF are a side game to geocaching... there is nothing related to them in the "system".

Usually Project GC and other sites, search inside the logs text for words that may relate to FTF, and collect them as such... even if they are not.

• Upvote 2

If you want to use project-gc and other statistic tools for your own FTFs be sure to use the right "code". They can't count all the logs containing FTF: "I was late at this one. Congratulations to XY for getting the FTF." should not be counted, fo course. You can use {*FTF*} for example to make project-gc count it towards your FTFs and there are other working codes but that's the only one I use and know.

1 hour ago, Ramblin_Man said:

I am asking about caches and how the system identifies who has a FTF for new caches.

I am not sure if I understand that question!? For project-gc anyone has the FTF who logs it with the code given above. Even if the person logged it one year later.

For the cache itself there is no FTF. The person who logs online first (with the oldest date, of coruse) will be number one in the list of logs but if we both find the cache at the same first day, you have FTF but I write the log earlier I'll stand at log place #1 for all time. That's why some cachers set a quick FTF log with their mobile phone directly after logging the cache and why some cachers (later finders) wait until the FTF has logged the cache. Some owners put the cacher who had the FTF on a "winner's podium" in their listing.

But as it was said: FTF is only a side game and anyone can play it the way they like! I hope that helps. :-)

Jochen

• Helpful 1
42 minutes ago, frostengel said:

They can't count all the logs containing FTF: "I was late at this one. Congratulations to XY for getting the FTF." should not be counted, fo course. You can use {*FTF*} for example to make project-gc count it towards your FTFs and there are other working codes but that's the only one I use and know.

For project-gc anyone has the FTF who logs it with the code given above.

Yes, just write "This is no {*FTF*}" in every log and you can push your stats. :tongue:

• Funny 4
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

You may use Project-GC (for example), to format your FTF logs so they can be filtered:

https://project-gc.com/Home/FAQ#1673218354

I have never used this tag in any log I've written for a FTF.  Instead, I place them on a public bookmark list and Project-GC has never had an issue with finding them.  I prefer this method as I don't like the way this {*FTF*} looks in logs.  You just need to set up the list then reference it in the Project-GC settings. You do not need to be a paying member (on PGC) to access this feature. A bookmark list also allows me to make additional notes, number them for my own reference or map them, all on geocaching.com.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

I have never used this tag in any log I've written for a FTF.  Instead, I place them on a public bookmark list and Project-GC has never had an issue with finding them.  I prefer this method as I don't like the way this {*FTF*} looks in logs.  You just need to set up the list then reference it in the Project-GC settings. You do not need to be a paying member (on PGC) to access this feature. A bookmark list also allows me to make additional notes, number them for my own reference or map them, all on geocaching.com.

I mainly was introducing the link that mentions various ways to set up FTF stats, including a bookmark list.  But yes, that seems to be a way to do it. :)

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Ramblin_Man said:

Sorry  I should have provided more info.   I am asking about caches and how the system identifies who has a FTF for new caches.

"The system" doesn't identify FTFs, why third-party sites do it.    :)

Most we know of use project-gc.  Twinklekitkat's method is what most folks here use now, but years before it was very different.

We put the time on all logs, so our logs sorta looked like  "0800 - FTF -  Started this day with temps in the...", and though at the time the other 2/3rds was a FTF monster, we never entered our totals for stats.   ;)    

We finally stopped mentioning on cache pages at 350 FTFs, when stats became more popular than unique locations...