• have to live in the SE US
  • have to use their Jeep to geocache
  • have to be a minority

What else do you need?

icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

[This message was edited by Tennessee Geocacher on October 07, 2003 at 01:01 PM.]

It appears that at least in this area, geocaching is still pretty much a lilly white activity, although I know of no reason why.

In fact, even nationwide, Tecmage is the only minority couple in the forums I can think of that are active and regularly contribute. Tell ya what though, I'm 1/32 Choctaw. Buy me the jeep and we'll talk!

Is there any specific reason why this needs to be an ethnic minority other than meet some racial quota for articles?

Mississippi cachers that went to the South MS meeting several months ago - didn't somebody there have a jeep?

Jeep Dude, you may find this particular locationless cache, Yellow Jeep Fever

of interest.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

Thanks for all the replies.

The ethnic requirement (more like a real hope) comes from the publishers. Jeep knows that not every Jeep owner is white, and it wants its magazine to reflect the diverse makeup of its clientele. In the publishing business, such diversity rarely appears without making a special effort. White people are hardly excluded -- they make up by far the majority of the subjects of articles. It's not political correctness -- it's good business.

If you are a minority, a geocacher and have a Jeep, yes, you can be in the article. the other element we'd like to include is the family element -- a family that goes geocaching in a Jeep. I've just been informed that if we have all the other right elements, we would be willing to rent a Grand Cherokee to carry the family on a geocache adventure -- with me in tow, of course.

Thanks,

TO

quote:
Jeeps are too small, we drive our 4x4 Suburban on our cache trips.

Not where mine are located you don't. You'd get that beast hung up or stuck between trees before you ever got close icon_smile.gif On the other hand, cramming the wife, two kids and gear in the CJ can be difficult.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
I've just been informed that if we have all the other right elements, we would be willing to rent a Grand Cherokee to carry the family on a geocache adventure

I wonder if it would be pointed out in the article in the JEEP magazine that the family going Geocaching in their JEEP is actually riding in a rental JEEP and perhaps have never been in a JEEP before. Kind of takes away from the purpose of the JEEP magazine doesn't it?

Maybe you can do a generic story and rent a bunch of different vehicles and do the Jeep Family Geocaching Trip, The Yukon Family Geocaching Trip, The Highlander Family Geocaching Trip, heck why not the Mini-Cooper Family Geocaching Trip.

My point is if it's going to be published in the JEEP magazine, wouldn't it be more iomportant to use someone that actually owns and drives a JEEP instead of making that your least important variable?

E

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

quote:
Jeeps are too small, we drive our 4x4 Suburban on our cache trips.

Not where mine are located you don't. You'd get that beast hung up or stuck between trees before you ever got close icon_smile.gif On the other hand, cramming the wife, two kids and gear in the CJ can be difficult.

Try it with 3 kids icon_biggrin.gif

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

I took my 97 ZJ places you would not believe... My nerf bars became a GREAT investment when the cypress knobs kept pushing me around. Those little things are TOUGH. They actually dented my westin bars on both sides. This is the cache log I am talking about. One of Buck8Point's hides.

At any rate, I am looking for a 97, 98 Wrangler now. Can't wait for the right deal to come along.

Place 'em if you got 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas R. O'Donnell:

Thanks for all the replies.

The ethnic requirement (more like a real hope) comes from the publishers. Jeep knows that not every Jeep owner is white, and it wants its magazine to reflect the diverse makeup of its clientele. In the publishing business, such diversity rarely appears without making a special effort. White people are hardly excluded -- they make up by far the majority of the subjects of articles. It's not political correctness -- it's good business.

If you are a minority, a geocacher and have a Jeep, yes, you can be in the article. the other element we'd like to include is the family element -- a family that goes geocaching in a Jeep. I've just been informed that if we have all the other right elements, we would be willing to rent a Grand Cherokee to carry the family on a geocache adventure -- with me in tow, of course.

Thanks,

TO

In other words, "let's distort things." Thanks for letting us see the revolting thing that Jeep has become. "Find us some of them coloreds - bribe 'em if you have to."

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

I wonder if it would be pointed out in the article in the JEEP magazine that the family going Geocaching in their JEEP is actually riding in a rental JEEP and perhaps have never been in a JEEP before. Kind of takes away from the purpose of the JEEP magazine doesn't it?

LOL...Have you ever looked in a "Jeep" magazine? If you were looking for reality, that would be the wrong place to do it.

-Midnight

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

Well, if they use "Jeep", then I suppose they are.

There are a few that use the Jeep name with permission, but have become the equivilant of Supermarket Rag Sheets. Most of the "articles" are nothing but an excuse for more advertising/product plugs.

-Midnight

Folks, the tail is wagging the dog here.

The No. 1 requirement for this article is a family that goes geocaching in a Jeep. The ethnic element is secondary, as I tried unsuccessfully to explain. Whites always were welcome to apply; I wanted to be sure others were welcome, too.

The offer to rent a Jeep for the expedition was an attempt to make it easier to meet the parameters, not a bribe. I doubt anyone could be bought by the use of a car for a day.

Many people have been very helpful. Thanks to them, I have a few possible subjects. Those who helped truly reflect the popular image of geocachers as friendly people who love to get others into their sport. Let's face it, this article will do much to promote the hobby you all love.

To those who were offended by my ham-handed request for help, I apologize. I hope we can get to the real purpose: Finding good representatives for the pastime of Geocaching.

Humbly,

Thomas R. O'Donnell

I think he already explained.

Most Jeep owners are Caucasian. To appeal to the minority market they want a minority for the article. While he may have better intensions in mind, Jeep itself is doing nothing more than selling to a market where they have a need to draw more customers from.

Caucasians: Already got them

Everyone else: Potential customers

Pretty much as simple as that. Don’t bother bashing him over it, he’s just doing what he is told needs to be done. Happens all the time. I bet most every time you see an advertisement for anything, it’s a factor. Basketball shoe commercials use ‘black’ people, NASCAR commercials use ‘white’ people, Tortilla commercials use Hispanics, Disney practically uses one race per shot, trying to cover all the bases. But you people never got up in arms about it before. Don’t assume this is something new or something only Jeep does.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.hardcorebodybuildingontheweb.com

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas R. O'Donnell:

I hope we can get to the real purpose: Finding good representatives for the pastime of Geocaching....

...as long as they aren't evil white people. icon_rolleyes.gif

You can CYA all you like - we know who will be in the article.

[This message was edited by SamLowrey on October 09, 2003 at 07:52 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SkyeMaloney:

Most Jeep owners are Caucasian. To appeal to the minority market they want a minority for the article. While he may have better intensions in mind, Jeep itself is doing nothing more than selling to a market where they have a need to draw more customers from.

Caucasians: Already got them

Everyone else: Potential customers

Pretty much as simple as that. Don’t bother bashing him over it, he’s just doing what he is told needs to be done. Happens all the time. I bet most every time you see an advertisement for anything, it’s a factor. Basketball shoe commercials use ‘black’ people, NASCAR commercials use ‘white’ people, Tortilla commercials use Hispanics, Disney practically uses one race per shot, trying to cover all the bases. But you people never got up in arms about it before. Don’t assume this is something new or something only Jeep does.

Uh, talk about self-contradiction. According to YOU, if it was all just a benign attempt to capture a market, then Basketball shoe commercials would be trying to "reach out" to whites. But that NEVER happens - no one reaches out to whites - they just don't "count."

By that TOKEN (ah hem) why don't they present white geocachers since they are the majority?

No it isn't something new - that doesn't make it any more vile and I'll be damned if I sit by silently as this BS goes on. That is precicely WHY it has gone on for so long.

[This message was edited by SamLowrey on October 09, 2003 at 07:54 AM.]