Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Aloha! & Wahine Eye Spy

How do I Search for Geo Art Locations?

Aloha! With Covid still playing amongst us we've decided to start "doing" geo art pieces. We've pulled up the Florida map and loaded caches throughout via Google Earth; didn't really notice any "art" areas. We've attempted to search for them on Geocaching.com to no avail. We have just searched for information via the community forums and have found much varied info but not exactly what we're looking for. What we would like is to find either a bookmark list of all known geo art, either by state, county; alphabetical, or any other such list or instructions on what to input to create a pocket query, if that's possible. In short, how do we go about locating geo art caches/pieces in our state or any other? We travel often and believe this would have us traveling even more but closer to home. Can you help? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy New Year. Happy Hunting. Lastly, be positive but test negative! 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Aloha! & Wahine Eye Spy said:

In short, how do we go about locating geo art caches/pieces in our state or any other?

Hmmm, I don't know that there is any commonality in the naming of the geocaches that make up geo-art "pieces", so trying to do a PQ or search by cache name likely would not produce the results you seek. (Unless there IS some attribute or term I  am missing?)

MY approach would be to look at the zoomed out map of the area I am going to, and look to see if any of the caches are in any kind of a shape.  The two major geo-arts I have done have been all puzzles (the only way to get the posted coordinates to line up properly).  Once you have located a group of puzzles that seem to form a geo-art, select one of them.  Someone likely has created a list of all the other caches in that particular group.

It may be a tedious process, but a quick overview of your proposed area to visit should give you an idea of any artwork to focus on.  I just peeked in your state of Florida, and saw a spider art - clicked one of the caches in the series and got this page: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC84QV9_bw035-brown-sailor-spider  and there are two public lists on that page for the caches in that series.

Hope this helps....and someone else may chime in with a better way of going about this.

Edited by CAVinoGal

Perhaps a search by Cache Owner then make a list to download?