How do I Search for Geo Art Locations?

Aloha! With Covid still playing amongst us we've decided to start "doing" geo art pieces. We've pulled up the Florida map and loaded caches throughout via Google Earth; didn't really notice any "art" areas. We've attempted to search for them on Geocaching.com to no avail. We have just searched for information via the community forums and have found much varied info but not exactly what we're looking for. What we would like is to find either a bookmark list of all known geo art, either by state, county; alphabetical, or any other such list or instructions on what to input to create a pocket query, if that's possible. In short, how do we go about locating geo art caches/pieces in our state or any other? We travel often and believe this would have us traveling even more but closer to home. Can you help? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy New Year. Happy Hunting. Lastly, be positive but test negative! 

22 minutes ago, Aloha! & Wahine Eye Spy said:

In short, how do we go about locating geo art caches/pieces in our state or any other?

Hmmm, I don't know that there is any commonality in the naming of the geocaches that make up geo-art "pieces", so trying to do a PQ or search by cache name likely would not produce the results you seek. (Unless there IS some attribute or term I  am missing?)

MY approach would be to look at the zoomed out map of the area I am going to, and look to see if any of the caches are in any kind of a shape.  The two major geo-arts I have done have been all puzzles (the only way to get the posted coordinates to line up properly).  Once you have located a group of puzzles that seem to form a geo-art, select one of them.  Someone likely has created a list of all the other caches in that particular group.

It may be a tedious process, but a quick overview of your proposed area to visit should give you an idea of any artwork to focus on.  I just peeked in your state of Florida, and saw a spider art - clicked one of the caches in the series and got this page: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC84QV9_bw035-brown-sailor-spider  and there are two public lists on that page for the caches in that series.

Hope this helps....and someone else may chime in with a better way of going about this.

Edited by CAVinoGal
On 1/7/2021 at 8:24 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Hmmm, I don't know that there is any commonality in the naming of the geocaches that make up geo-art "pieces", so trying to do a PQ or search by cache name likely would not produce the results you seek. (Unless there IS some attribute or term I  am missing?)

MY approach would be to look at the zoomed out map of the area I am going to, and look to see if any of the caches are in any kind of a shape.  The two major geo-arts I have done have been all puzzles (the only way to get the posted coordinates to line up properly).  Once you have located a group of puzzles that seem to form a geo-art, select one of them.  Someone likely has created a list of all the other caches in that particular group.

It may be a tedious process, but a quick overview of your proposed area to visit should give you an idea of any artwork to focus on.  I just peeked in your state of Florida, and saw a spider art - clicked one of the caches in the series and got this page: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC84QV9_bw035-brown-sailor-spider  and there are two public lists on that page for the caches in that series.

Hope this helps....and someone else may chime in with a better way of going about this.

Aloha! CAvinoGal!  Love the name... and wine!  My apologies for the slow response but funny enough we actually almost completed the spider geo-art before reading your missive! Only have two Multics, hard to get to, and one DNF to rectify to have it all complete!  We did what you and others suggested by zooming in. Worked perfectly. Also allowed us to do the majority of a Challenge road. All that we met the requirements for anyway. Lots of fun. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. Our apologies again for the slow response.  Aloha!

On 1/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, TmdAndGG said:

Aloha! TndAndGG! Wow!  This is AWESome of you. Until the responses we didn’t actually realize that Geo-Art was annotated as Puzzle or Mystery caches. Or with the Spider Geo-Art, Puzzle, Mystery and Letterboxes. That certainly shortens the searching time. As does another cacher providing a wonderful listing of 13 different Geo-Arts! Thank you for being yet another cacher that plays well with others!  

P.S. My apologies to you also for the delayed response. You were not forgotten. Nor anyone that has responded. Thank you.. 

• Love 1
On 1/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, colleda said:

Perhaps a search by Cache Owner then make a list to download?

Aloha Colleen! Another excellent suggestion. We have tested it and it does work quite well once you find a starting point. We also noticed that the cache owner may have a bookmarked list of not only their own but of others. Also helpful. Thank you again for the assistance. Always appreciated.

P.S. My apologies for the slow response. Never our intent.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, dcmcveigh said:

Here is a link with a bunch of different geo-art examples.  Lists by US State and country.

GeoArt From Geocachers Compass

Aloha dcmcveigh! A big thank you to you also. Great list. At this time in the world I did get a tinny chuckle when I noticed hat Florida is not listed in the 50 State Star states. Florida definitely dances to a different beat these days! Thank you again for this great list. I see more caching spots in our traveling future! Oh, and our apologies to you also for the delayed response. Didn’t mean to be away so long. Thank you again.