Forgot pen

ibgpin

I have a bunch of hides out and occasionally I will receive a log that states: "found the cache but forgot a pen".  To be fair to all cachers I usually delete these logs as anyone can say they found a log but couldn't sign it because of this or that.  If they include a picture to show they found the cache I do not delete their log.  Just wondering how other hiders handle this situation. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, ibgpin said:

I have a bunch of hides out and occasionally I will receive a log that states: "found the cache but forgot a pen".  To be fair to all cachers I usually delete these logs as anyone can say they found a log but couldn't sign it because of this or that.  If they include a picture to show they found the cache I do not delete their log.  Just wondering how other hiders handle this situation. 

If they forget to take a picture of the log but later take a picture of a camera, I do not delete their log.

• Funny 3
15 minutes ago, ibgpin said:

I just ignore these. I can't remember my first caches and I'm not even sure if I ever forgot a pen in the past. It's against the guidelines not to sign the logbook, but as an owner I don't care if someone post that kind of log.

If this would be a challenge cache I would probably care about that, but I don't own any challenges right now.

Edited by sernikk
40 minutes ago, ibgpin said:

I provide a pencil in all my caches. Although I did get one "forgot my pen" log where they didn't bother opening the container because they knew they didn't have a pen and didn't imagine there'd be a pencil inside (there were actually two in that one as it gets a lot of visitors). They sent me a photo of the cache so I let the log stand.

7 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I provide a pencil in all my caches. Although I did get one "forgot my pen" log where they didn't bother opening the container because they knew they didn't have a pen and didn't imagine there'd be a pencil inside (there were actually two in that one as it gets a lot of visitors). They sent me a photo of the cache so I let the log stand.

I got one of those logs. My cache had some pens inside, and the Finder forgot a pen.  

Cool that they remember to take a picture on you guys’ caches.  Finders of mine never do even that much.  How do they remember their photography equipment?  

Everyone, write a note, keep it with whatever you take pictures of logs with: “Remember a pen”.

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, ibgpin said:

I let a log stand with a picture.  I also put pencils into all my caches if they fit.  

• Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, ibgpin said:

Heck, even my mother has a mini pen/stylus she got voting in a pocket.    :D   But there is no requirement to include a pen for others.

Anything over micro we supplied pencils.  At maintenance time, all pencils and the sharpeners would be gone (along with most swag too).

It bugged us when new, eventually realizing that this is a learning process,  so usually looked to see if "no pen" was a recurring thing.

If it was, we'd delete, if not we'd cut 'em some slack.   

Now our only remaining micro I rarely if ever check the log, figuring it's what basic newbs learn on.   :)

Our high-terrain caches say sigs in the logbooks or we'll delete in description.  People make an effort for the find, and it's not fair to them to allow it.

- They have pencils in them too.  So there's little anyone can say about "I forgot" anyway.  ;)

If they don't include a picture, I message them and ask them to describe the hide (container, hide style, something to show they were there) or ask what was the color of the lid for the one that has a bright colored lid. It happens very rarely.

Admittedly, I don't audit the signatures to the online logs, so some that "forgot a pen" may have not said so in their log. :ph34r:

Last week I was just out for a hike and saw a cache lying out in the open. I didn't have a pen/pencil with me, and the one in the cache was rusted beyond use (water issues over time). I remembered seeing a tree that had fire damage not too far away, so I went over and grabbed some charcoal, I could put the date in, but the signature was pretty rough.  Then I hid the cache a bit better before leaving.

But generally speaking, there's no monetary awards for finding caches, so I go with the honor system. (Maybe a puzzle find needs some proof).

Edited by BogWalker
3 hours ago, BogWalker said:

Last week I was just out for a hike and saw a cache lying out in the open. I didn't have a pen/pencil with me, and the one in the cache was rusted beyond use (water issues over time). I remembered seeing a tree that had fire damage not too far away, so I went over and grabbed some charcoal, I could put the date in, but the signature was pretty rough.  Then I hid the cache a bit better before leaving.

But generally speaking, there's no monetary awards for finding caches, so I go with the honor system. (Maybe a puzzle find needs some proof).

I've used a bit of charcoal in the past. Always plenty of it lying about in the Oz bush. I'd left my pen in the car and to get it would have meant a steep rocky, scrubby, climb of about 300m to go back for it. At my age I could do without that extra amount of exercise.

Found itcolleda found 2.gif Stretch Your Legs III: Take a teaspoon of cement.

Monday, 02 July 2012New South Wales, Australia NW NW 19.7 km from your home location

Saw this come up on the computer along with another in Hamilton\, so chose this as it seemed like fun. Arrived to find another 4WD just about to leave and thought 'there goes the FTF' - MV and Team Unibolt had beaten us to it. had a nice chat about caching then got down to business.
It was a steepish walk down to GZ but at least we didn't have to bush bash. There was a geaotrail forming already but coords were spot on. Found the cache and wondered about the stature of whoever carried it here. Went to sign log and realised we had left the writing gear back in the car! A quick look around and I found what we needed - plenty of charcoal from past bush fires. Signed log and commenced climb back to the road. For 2 wrinklies in their mid 60s it was slow going but slow and steady is fine by us.
During our chat with MV he recommended we have a go at Noonans Discovery, just up the road a bit, so of we went. Thanks for a very different experience Big Matt (he must be huge) and Shell."

Edited by colleda
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, colleda said:

I've used a bit of charcoal in the past. Always plenty of it lying about in the Oz bush.

I've done that once too, although as charcoal can rub off I also photographed my signature and included that too. I have rarely forgotten my pen, but on the rare occasion it is my practice to contact the CO first with proof of find, such as a photograph and wait for their reply giving permission or not. Their call. If I don't hear back from them, I log the find and include the photographic proof. Of those who replied, I have never been refused permission to log. The same as for those who contact me with proof, I have never refused permission to log.

If I don't find a signature on the paper log, I contact the person. I used to wait a couple of weeks for a reply, but not signed logs are becoming annoyingly more common, so now I only give a week. No signature and no reply to my polite message to them and I delete the log. I deleted a couple of logs a few days ago.

I carry a couple of pens, but that's not always a guarantee I found out. The pen I was using ran out of ink. Not a problem I thought, pulling out the second pen. That one also ran out of ink a signature later. I had to go look for a shop to buy another before I continued caching. Fortunately it wasn't remote caching that day, but urban.

As for "lost the pen"/"pen ran out of ink" interchangeable type logs, I have checked logs by some cachers and that's the majority of log wording for most of their finds. Amazing, they never seem to have a working pen. Makes me wonder if they actually found the cache.

Well it's just happened to me (again). With calm conditions and a mid-morning high tide, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to take my kayak out on the Hawkesbury River and try a few recent high D/T water-access caches. I remembered to apply sunscreen and take my hat, phone, GPSr, plenty of water and even some rope in case I needed it on one of the climbs up from the river, but I was just pulling up at the first cache when I realised I'd left my pen in the car. Thankfully that one turned out to be a DNF so it wasn't an issue, but unfortunately I found the second one and, even though there was plenty of room in the container, there was no pencil or other writing implement in there. Drat. I ended up making a bit of a mark with the end of a twig, signing the log as BFJ but accidentally making a small tear in the process.

20210113_104900.jpg.7a95456bde4cafca3e14e50b53fcd405.jpg

I'll know better next time, I hope.

• Funny 1
9 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Well it's just happened to me (again). With calm conditions and a mid-morning high tide, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to take my kayak out on the Hawkesbury River and try a few recent high D/T water-access caches. I remembered to apply sunscreen and take my hat, phone, GPSr, plenty of water and even some rope in case I needed it on one of the climbs up from the river, but I was just pulling up at the first cache when I realised I'd left my pen in the car. Thankfully that one turned out to be a DNF so it wasn't an issue, but unfortunately I found the second one and, even though there was plenty of room in the container, there was no pencil or other writing implement in there. Drat. I ended up making a bit of a mark with the end of a twig, signing the log as BFJ but accidentally making a small tear in the process.

I once hiked back 1/4 mile to get a pen.  There have been one or two caches where I needed more stuff, special tool or whatever, and if it’s a nice place I’ll come back later.  No “Forgot A Pen Gimme Smiley” for me.  The stick is cool and all, but that’s not my style.  I’ll let you know if it ever comes up.

But on a spontaneous cache hunt, I always forget a couple of things. You know, unimportant stuff like the GPS.  Or I deliberately leave my hat, hiking stick and the good camera.  And immediately get a thorn stuck in my head due to no hat, need to find a stick so I can poke around for the container, and standing in a clearing a few yards away is the actual Southern Swamp Yeti.  With his whole tribe.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

But on a spontaneous cache hunt, I always forget a couple of things. You know, unimportant stuff like the GPS. 

:D

Some odd reason, once in a while I forget that I went into the woods with a hiking stick.  I always have a hiking stick.

We don't usually buy cheap, so then I have to lug my can wherever I left it last.  Talk about a spoiler !    "Yoo-hoo !  The cache is right here...!"

The last time was only eight miles, but it was almost dark.  I was second-to-find, so left a note if someone would grab it for me. 

- And they did.   :laughing:

But I never forget a writing instrument.    

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Most modern (recreational) kayaks have waterproof compartments - does yours? Good for storing writing implements permanently.

3 hours ago, colleda said:

Most modern (recreational) kayaks have waterproof compartments - does yours? Good for storing writing implements permanently.

The waterproof "compartment" on mine consists of a threaded circular plate with an attached net hanging down inside the body of the kayak, so it's fine for something like a sandwich but a pen would slip through the net and end up somewhere in the bilge. I have a bum bag that I put my phone and GPSr in so that would be the logical place for a pen or pencil, if only I'd thought of it before putting the kayak in the water.

Edited by barefootjeff
3 hours ago, The Jester said:

I carry a "Fisher Space Pen Stowaway" with me at all times:

Product image for blue

Only about 3.75 inches it fits diagonally in the wallet.

One that fits a wallet is nice!  I also wondered if there are phone cases that hold pens (never researched it), because I never see a delayed log about forgetting the phone.  Sometimes I instead need a sharpie to delicately paint "KU" on the last remaining loose fibers of what was once a log sheet, when most any other writing instrument would shred it.

But I had a similar space pen when I arrived at a cache without it.  This was expensive, and the cap had a carabiner that for a belt loop.  The first time I used it, I had tested it to be sure the pen clicks into the cap very securely.  Now I will always have a pen, problem solved!  I climbed through a lot of bushes, and got to the cache with that cap still securely attached and no pen.

I went back to the car, and got a pen.  OK, sure, I know everyone else won't, see this thread.  

6 hours ago, colleda said:

I don't know if that's really the case. 

A lot of really inexpensive recreational kayaks don't have bulkheads or waterproof compartment.  A decent recreational (and all touring) kayak will have a bulkhead with a water *resistant* compartment.   In some cases it's just a hatch with an attached bag underneath.  In either case, I'd put anything that you really don't want to get wet in a drybag first.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/7/2021 at 6:39 PM, kunarion said:

I got one of those logs. My cache had some pens inside, and the Finder forgot a pen.  

Cool that they remember to take a picture on you guys’ caches.  Finders of mine never do even that much.  How do they remember their photography equipment?  

Everyone, write a note, keep it with whatever you take pictures of logs with: “Remember a pen”.

Most people have a camera in their pocket at all times: their smartphone.

I've forgotten to take a pen from the cupholder in my truck before beginning a hike. I've remembered to take a pen only to lose it mid-hike.

The CO may have left a pen in the cache, but it might have been taken or no longer works. Pencils wear out quickly (unless you leave a sharpener too).

Not to mention that probably at least 1 in 5 logs I find is wet and needs replacement. Some are in such bad condition that it simply isnt possibly to sign - not that I really want to handle the nasty paper anyway.

I will mention in my online log if there is a problem with the physical log, but I learned early on not to explicitly state whether I signed the physical log.

I think having 790 DNFs vs 6300 Finds should be a pretty good indicator that I log truthfully online whether I was able to place my name on the paper log or not.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
Fix typo, clarify wording
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The waterproof "compartment" on mine consists of a threaded circular plate with an attached net hanging down inside the body of the kayak, so it's fine for something like a sandwich but a pen would slip through the net and end up somewhere in the bilge. I have a bum bag that I put my phone and GPSr in so that would be the logical place for a pen or pencil, if only I'd thought of it before putting the kayak in the water.

What you need is small dry bag that you can keep in that net.  Something like this:  

Drybag_3L-BL-rolled_1500px-1.jpg

1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Most people have a camera in their pocket at all times: their smartphone.

I've forgotten to take a pen from the cupholder in my truck before beginning a hike. I've remembered to take a pen only to lose it mid-hike.

The CO may hsve left a pen in the cache, but it might have been taken or no longer works. Pencils wear out quickly (unless you leave a sharpener too).

Not to mention that probably at least 1 in 5 logs I find is wet and needs replacement. Some are such that I couldn't sign it with a writing utensil, and don't particularly want to even handle the paper.

I will mention in my online log if there is a problem with the physical log, but I learned early on not to explicitly state whether I signed the physical log.

I think having 790 DNFs vs 6300 Finds should be a pretty good indicator that I log truthfully online whether I was able to place my name on the paper log or not.

They had ONE JOB, "Sign the log" (nevermind telling me there are no rules, heard it).  The "I Forgot A Pen And Gimme Smilie NOW" logs when my cache has pens inside it... those make me pound my head on the wall.  AND everyone else insisting that those person's pens routinely vanish while approaching a cache, which automatically turns it into a Find.  Lots of head bruises lately.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Not to mention that probably at least 1 in 5 logs I find is wet and needs replacement. Some are such that I couldn't sign it with a writing utensil, and don't particularly want to even handle the paper.

Gross, it's like signing the bottom of a dumpster, and claiming it proudly as a stat.  I used to leave a new slip of paper and sign it, but I don't anymore.  I've grown.  :cute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
8 hours ago, The Jester said:

I carry a "Fisher Space Pen Stowaway" with me at all times:

Not that I think carrying an extra pen is a bad idea, but I carried a pen something like that for a while, "just in case". I lost it long before I needed it. And I didn't realize I'd lost it *until* I needed it. :-(

• Funny 2
3 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

That one's easy: I just get a little ink on the wet log and call it a day. It's not as if they'd be able to read my signature if I wrote it properly, anyway, so I don't bother to try. The requirement is "sign the log", not "sign the log so the CO can read it no matter what a mess the log is." Does anyone really think a CO would complain about "no signature" on a log that can't even recognize as a log when they go to check whether I signed it?

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Not that I think carrying an extra pen is a bad idea, but I carried a pen something like that for a while, "just in case". I lost it long before I needed it. And I didn't realize I'd lost it *until* I needed it. :-(

I've only owned a few Fisher Space Pens, and every one constantly leaked a huge glob of ink onto the tip, so it was a mess any time I opened the cap.  I kept buying refills and other versions, in the hope that one might work.  I eventually gave up on those things.  They are proven to be a letdown.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I've only owned a few Fisher Space Pens, and every one constantly leaked a huge glob of ink onto the tip, so it was a mess any time I opened the cap.  I kept buying refills and other versions, in the hope that one might work.  I eventually gave up on those things.  They are proven to be a letdown.

I've had a Fisher bullet pen refill in my wallet since I was a rookie.  It has never leaked.  But I have seen others with a little blob at the nib.

Unlike most basic refills, Fisher pens have enormous pressure (nitrogen, at about 35 psi), and a carbide tip fitted to avoid leaks.

That pressure is why it also writes upside down.  They are my go-to if I'm out 20 degrees or less, where a sharpie's now solid.  

Sometimes you get a bad one.    :)

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Sometimes you get a bad one.    :)

That's why I kept buying them.  Optimism.

One blessing of The Never-Ending Worldwide Death Virus is that suddenly germs exist.  So we get no more new posts where people gleefully pronounce that they forget pens and so they excrete a bodily fluid onto the cache log.  And further posts ensue listing preferred body fluids to wipe on it.  To thunderous applause.  Because too-many-rules-so-there, that's why.

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
15 hours ago, kunarion said:

I once hiked back 1/4 mile to get a pen.  There have been one or two caches where I needed more stuff, special tool or whatever, and if it’s a nice place I’ll come back later.  No “Forgot A Pen Gimme Smiley” for me.  The stick is cool and all, but that’s not my style.  I’ll let you know if it ever comes up.

But on a spontaneous cache hunt, I always forget a couple of things. You know, unimportant stuff like the GPS.  Or I deliberately leave my hat, hiking stick and the good camera.  And immediately get a thorn stuck in my head due to no hat, need to find a stick so I can poke around for the container, and standing in a clearing a few yards away is the actual Southern Swamp Yeti.  With his whole tribe.

Dam! You must have felt foolish.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
43 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Dam! You must have felt foolish.

There was a day that I remembered my camera in the deep wilds of a county park.  It’s hilly and wooded and bushy back there, with one trail that used to be a farm road.  That camera would, very rarely, take 20 seconds to save a photo.  No big deal.  Until that day.  Fifty or more turkeys were walking single-file through a clearing, noisy and trotting past.  *Click*.  Ten turkeys went past with wings high in the air and tails fluffed up, while I waited to take another picture.  *Click*, followed by ten more turkeys gone.  OK, I’ll just do video, at least it can’t be a total bust.  Started video recording.  Immediately, all the rest of the turkeys hunched down, and silently slipped by in terror.  Anyway, camera or not, probably doesn’t matter.  But if I didn’t have the camera, I’d kick myself for missing shots of a lifetime.

26 minutes ago, kunarion said:

There was a day that I remembered my camera in the deep wilds of a county park.  It’s hilly and wooded and bushy back there, with one trail that used to be a farm road.  That camera would, very rarely, take 20 seconds to save a photo.  No big deal.  Until that day.  Fifty or more turkeys were walking single-file through a clearing, noisy and trotting past.  *Click*.  Ten turkeys went past with wings high in the air and tails fluffed up, while I waited to take another picture.  *Click*, followed by ten more turkeys gone.  OK, I’ll just do video, at least it can’t be a total bust.  Started video recording.  Immediately, all the rest of the turkeys hunched down, and silently slipped by in terror.  Anyway, camera or not, probably doesn’t matter.  But if I didn’t have the camera, I’d kick myself for missing shots of a lifetime.

Ever notice now that we're all carrying cameras on our belts, the incidences of UFO sightings have all but disappeared?

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, kunarion said:

Gross, it's like signing the bottom of a dumpster, and claiming it proudly as a stat.  I used to leave a new slip of paper and sign it, but I don't anymore.

A Find isn't a measure of how much (or how little) one enjoys the cache.

Leaving a replacement log is often pointless because that will get ruined soon too.

And if the cache is a micro there usually is room for a replacement log.

4 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Ever notice now that we're all carrying cameras on our belts, the incidences of UFO sightings have all but disappeared?

I hadn't thought of it, but now that you've brought it up, that seems valid. I'm surprised because for a while there we were getting deluged with photographic "evidence" that convinced the adherents even though it was trivial to explain. Hmmm, come to think of it, one common explanation was camera failure, so maybe the fact that all those cameras are also much better is a factor. A grainy picture of a flying saucer might impress someone less if they can read "frisbee".

really not that big of deal. why delete logs? Theres no way to know if they found it or not. Them claiming a find doesn't affect my in any way, unless its some crazy hard cache that people really have to work for. other than that? A cache with hundreds of finds already... let it be.  

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, 1962penny said:

really not that big of deal. why delete logs? Theres no way to know if they found it or not. Them claiming a find doesn't affect my in any way, unless its some crazy hard cache that people really have to work for. other than that? A cache with hundreds of finds already... let it be.  

Why would the difficulty of the cache matter? Why would the number of other finds matter?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I carry a pile of pencil stubs that I have been leaving as pseudo-swag, in an effort to alleviate these occurrences.   

It doesn't always help; forensic analysis of cache logs subsequent to mine will show I-forgot-my-pen entries from cachers who clearly didn't open the container (if they were even there).

f7ee767f-5b36-40c1-8634-765cdab726d9_l.j

On 1/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, barefootjeff said:

For the record, I was back out on that part of the river a few days ago, this time with a pen, so I stopped off at that cache on the way back and made good my log-signing.

LogResigned.jpg.5213fe8bc9ed5d047ceaf74750a83635.jpg

I also dropped a pencil in the cache in case any future finders are caught short.

I found one where the log was in a nano-tube. I had a pen, but could not extract the log because I did not have my Swiss Army Knife tweezers with me. I initialed the outside of the container and sent the CO info of what I had done. They approved the Find, but that's one of the reasons I avoid hunting micros.

• Funny 1