Is it weird to move trackable twice?

black_cat1

I picked up someone's trackable the other day from the cache that it started in. It had been there for a few months. It was my first cache and I was worried that I would mess it up, so I dropped it in another cache at the same park the next day. It's still there today (went with a friend and returned to cache so friend could log it) and I feel bad for only moving it less than a mile in the same park. Would it be weird for me to go pick it up and move it somewhere else so that it can go out in the world? Or should I leave it?

22 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

I picked up someone's trackable the other day from the cache that it started in. It had been there for a few months. It was my first cache and I was worried that I would mess it up, so I dropped it in another cache at the same park the next day. It's still there today (went with a friend and returned to cache so friend could log it) and I feel bad for only moving it less than a mile in the same park. Would it be weird for me to go pick it up and move it somewhere else so that it can go out in the world? Or should I leave it?

There’s no particular restriction on moving TBs.  Dropping and Retrieving used be common until the Visit log.

But see if the TB owner has any special requests on the TB page.

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, black_cat1 said:

I picked up someone's trackable the other day from the cache that it started in. It had been there for a few months. It was my first cache and I was worried that I would mess it up, so I dropped it in another cache at the same park the next day. It's still there today (went with a friend and returned to cache so friend could log it) and I feel bad for only moving it less than a mile in the same park.

Would it be weird for me to go pick it up and move it somewhere else so that it can go out in the world? Or should I leave it?

It's probably there for a few months because of this virus thing.  The state was shut down for some time.  :)

I'm happy you took it from a "TB hotel"  to place in another.  We've never seen trackables fare well in those things.

"Keep it moving", and "Try not to keep it too long" are pretty basic requests, so if you have a good idea for it, why not ?;)

• Helpful 3

Pick up, drop, done. That first encounter has nothing to do with the situation now. Do you think you can do something for the TB? Feel free to pick it up.

It turns out that the thing that someone might question here is going back to a cache you've already found to pick up a TB. Some people might question it, but don't listen to them: it's fine if it's what you feel like doing. The important thing is that you move the TB well.

10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

It's probably there for a few months because of this virus thing.  The state was shut down for some time.  :)

I'm happy you took it from a "TB hotel"  to place in another.  We've never seen trackables fare well in those things.

"Keep it moving", and "Try not to keep it too long" are pretty basic requests, so if you have a good idea for it, why not ?;)

I don't have a specific idea, but I feel like I could probably move it to a much more trafficked cache, and I feel bad about how I barely moved it before. I took it from a TB hotel because that was the first cache that I visited :lol: But after learning how those work, I'm glad I took it as well.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, dprovan said:

It turns out that the thing that someone might question here is going back to a cache you've already found to pick up a TB. Some people might question it, but don't listen to them: it's fine if it's what you feel like doing. The important thing is that you move the TB well.

I've actually already been back there (a friend wanted to log the caches but didn't want to go into the woods alone) but I didn't log my visit. Maybe I'll wait a bit to see if someone else picks it up. Why would someone question me going back to the cache to pick it up?

54 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

Maybe I'll wait a bit to see if someone else picks it up. Why would someone question me going back to the cache to pick it up?

Realizing that this wasn't asked of me...   

In a hobby where anyone can play, "some people", as dprovan said,  is simply anywhere humans are involved.    :)

You're not doing anything wrong, so if it was ever to happen, just disregard them.     

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, black_cat1 said:

I've actually already been back there (a friend wanted to log the caches but didn't want to go into the woods alone) but I didn't log my visit. Maybe I'll wait a bit to see if someone else picks it up. Why would someone question me going back to the cache to pick it up?

People that object are thinking of someone that runs out as soon as a TB is dropped for no reason except to grab it before anyone actually looking for the cache can find it. That's nothing like what you did, but they might not stop to think about the difference. Anyway, forget I mentioned it. I really don't think anyone will complain, so I'm sorry if I made you nervous.

The basic point is that you shouldn't worry about what any other potential TB carrier thinks about what you did because you're only responsible to the owner of the TB. If what you can do for the TB is likely to be as good or better than what will happen to it if it sits in the cache, no one should be able to fault you for picking it up.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, black_cat1 said:

Would it be weird for me to go pick it up and move it somewhere else so that it can go out in the world? Or should I leave it?

What you did (retrieve it from one cache, read the story to a youngster as requested, then dropped it into another cache) was exactly right (your retrieve log stated you weren't sure if you did it right - let me assure you, it was right!).  If you want to retrieve it again and move it further away, give it more miles, that would be perfectly fine.  So would leaving it where it is for another cacher to pick up and move along.  It's entirely up to you!

I've got a few TB's that I have been carrying for some time; haven't been caching much either.  I do try to take photos of the TB's at caches I find and log a visit if the cache is a good one, with a view, or somehow related to the TB (turtles, at a pond or stream, etc), letting the TB owner know I still really do have their TB and it's moving with me, and I WILL put it in a cache that will help it to reach its goal, when I find an appropriate cache to drop it in.

• Helpful 1