Placing caches while on vacation.

DeO

I would like some input on placing caches while on vacation. I want to place a cache possably on the resort grounds, any suggestions on the container type? I was thinking some sort of tupperware type, but I would assume that would have to be bought there. I was also mulling over the idea of micro caches, any suggestions other than film containers?

If you're placing caches on vacation, make sure you have somebody who can check on things if something happens.

Additional microcache container ideas include an altoids container, aspirin bottle, nalgene makes small waterproof bottles, small tupperware...

I have placed a few virtuals while on vacation, but if you're gonna place a real one, then scout out local cachers, ask someone in advance if they'll play step-parent to your cache before going. that way it can be cared for. and triple check your coordinates before releasing the cache.

I like sucrets tins or small containers with screw tops, like you find at the container store (I just picked some up, they're very cool.)

William

Caching with a 5 year old: takes 2x as long, it's 2x as satisifying

The faster you go, the worse your reception is.

Well, this is a sensitive subject if ever there was one. I'm sure it is good advice to make sure the local cache community is behind you, but I'd suggest (as much as I hear the "ammo-can, ammo-can" chant in the background) that caches placed in a semi-sensitive area be of transparent materials. Some jars have rubber gaskets and can be as protective as other more heavy-duty canisters.

Also, if you're looking for micro caches (which IMO are a great idea for long-distance low-maintennance caches) I suggest M&M Minis containers. They're watertight except in the most extreme cases, and I've even formatted sign-in sheets in Word if you want them, that will fit comfortably in the M&M minis tube, or M&M minis MEGA tube (if you can find it, it's slightly longer). The M&M containers come in a variety of colors and also in CLEAR.

Also, I'd make sure to be aware that if you're placing it on a "resort ground area" that it be compliant with the "new rules" of geocaching as dictated in the "Hide a cache" section of the page. I'm all for it, but there's been a lot of "stink" put on caches placed in such areas, and a cache may be interpreted as "commercial" when it's intent is obviously and most certainly not.

I am opposed to hiding caches while on vacation, unless you happen to vacation at that spot occasionally to check the cache.

We've got a series of caches in this area hidden by a fellow who has since moved, and his caches have become junk. Fortunately, a couple local cachers have helped him out be replacing containers, contents, logbooks, and moving the caches out of flooded areas... but as a hider, I don't think you should leave those responsibilities up to someone else.

I recommend doing some fun out-of-town caching while on vacation, but please don't place one that you never intend to visit again.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by DeO:

I would like some input on placing caches while on vacation. I want to place a cache possibly on the resort grounds, any suggestions on the container type? I was thinking some sort of tupperware type, but I would assume that would have to be bought there. I was also mulling over the idea of micro caches, any suggestions other than film containers?

I assume by your description "resort" this is going to be a privately owned and not publicly owned resort. So since you must obtain permission to hide the cache there by the resort owner or manager, why not ask them what they prefer you hide it in.

ENJOY THE OUTDOORS

As a resident of the Orlando area I can only assume that the "resort" in question is Disney World. I'd have to ask to please not place a cache there. Its private property, a suspicous package found at a local park that is investigated by the bomb squad gets a minute on the local news. A Disney theme park evacuated and the bomb squad brought in, gets 3 minutes on CNN. At which point you start having caches removed everywhere by towns and cities rather than have their budgets ruined by a possible nuciasance call. There are also enough problems with people locally who place cahces and then never check on them when they go missing. Your only going to be here once, have some repect for those of us who live here.

Instead why don't you take a day rent a car and go geocaching, go see that htere is life outside of Walt Disney World. If you'd like I would be more than glad to e-mail you a list of caches close by that you can go to.

It's fun to place caches in places that you vacation. Virtual caches, albeit, are the best bet, even though the "actual caches" are more fun to find. You'll still get good response from your virtual caches, depending on where they are.

Besides, if you can't be around to maintain your cache, I say ixnay on the "actual" and ok on the virtual.