How to find someone to adopt my cache?

compost93

8 minutes ago, compost93 said:

I have some really old caches that I don't want to maintain anymore, where can I find someone to adopt them? Ideally it would be prolific cacher in my area. I might just cold message people haha,

I've seen owners post to social groups (Facebook or local forums). I've seen owners send email to past finders who might have a particular attachment to the cache (e.g., the FTF, or someone for whom that was their first find or some other milestone). Those approaches both work.

1 hour ago, IceColdUK said:

It may be that people have your caches on their watchlists or on other lists.  Put a note on the cache page, and they will be notified.  Might be a long shot, but you never know...

But the people watching your caches are probably the most likely to adopt them too.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, compost93 said:

I have some really old caches that I don't want to maintain anymore, where can I find someone to adopt them? Ideally it would be prolific cacher in my area. I might just cold message people haha,

Here, a simple Write Note log will let watchers know you're looking to get rid of them, and adding your request in bold to the bottom of your description helps too with new finders.   :)

The rest seem to go by faceboook, as they pretty-much took away most our our local geocaching forums.  

While you're at it, you could add an Owner Maintenance to cover your one cache that has an NM from a newb (who apparently didn't read the description ?).  

Hi,

you should deactivate https://coord.info/GCNQG6 first before more persons go there in vain.

Writing a note asking if someone wanted to adopt the cache would be the only step I would do to find someone. If no one wants to adopt any of them just archive the caches and make place for something new. (Don't forget to collect the remaining pieces of the cache if there is still something out there.) Going to the archive is the usual way for geocaches to end - and after 15 years I think the cache and the place have earned the rest. :-)

Jochen

• Upvote 3