Premium Problem with Basic Membership

My daughter is a basic member with an iphone 6a (IOS 14.2). Starting on the first of January, all multi-caches and some basic caches show as premium.  She basically has to use the web-page to find and log caches. I have a premium membership and an android, with no issues.

5 hours ago, 59 said:

I have a premium membership and an android, with no issues.

They are not issues nor problems, for all Basic Members, the free official app will show only some few easy Traditionals, (D1/T1) close to their location.

But, she can always save all the caches she want as Waypoints after checking them on the homepage, and navigate later with the app.

Or she can use your profile on the app, to navigate to the hideouts, but log those caches later on the homepage with hers.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
9 hours ago, 59 said:

My daughter is a basic member with an iphone 6a (IOS 14.2). Starting on the first of January, all multi-caches and some basic caches show as premium.

RuideAlmeida and IceColdUK already covered most of the issues.  There is a difference between PMO Premium Member Only caches and “Advanced Caches”.  Neither may be available  to basic members, but most any cache can become “Advanced” if it is proving to be tougher for basic members to find.  At least this WAS what happened (I’m sure the feature gets tweaked at times).  I don’t know if the change occurs on the first of a month or what the schedule would be.

As previously mentioned, your daughter may hunt the same caches you can.  You just need to decide which methods she would use. Note that some paid Apps may display caches differently than the free Official App does.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, 59 said:

My daughter is a basic member with an iphone 6a (IOS 14.2). Starting on the first of January, all multi-caches and some basic caches show as premium.  She basically has to use the web-page to find and log caches. I have a premium membership and an android, with no issues.

Curious...  Does the app actually say that the caches are "premium" ?  Thanks.  :)

At one time they did, and it was fixed so folks recognized them as "advanced" caches.    Hopefully tweaks haven't gone backwards...

- But  basic members haven't been able to view them for years now.  Wonder how she could earlier ? 

Basic is traditional caches D/T 2 and below.   All other cache types are considered "advanced".

As you're now aware, using the website, you're not restricted by cache D/T or types, and your daughter just can't do PMO caches by herself.

- She can log them though when with you, using an alternate logging method.  

57 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious...  Does the app actually say that the caches are "premium" ?  Thanks.  :)

At one time they did, and it was fixed so folks recognized them as "advanced" caches.    Hopefully tweaks haven't gone backwards...

- But  basic members haven't been able to view them for years now.  Wonder how she could earlier ?

That's my guess, the OP's daughter was seeing "Advanced" caches rather than PMO.  Other threads showed that caches may become "Advanced" due to various causes automatically (DNFs or whatever). 

I once thought of setting up caches designed just for new App users, Geocaching 101 caches.  Such caches would need to be in a special place that makes them always available yet not muggle-able.  Lots of variables makes such a cache spot tough to locate.  But now imagine first-time users not finding the caches because... it's their first time (on top of that, there's an active bug in the iPhone App that causes some users to see the compass point backward, or see the distance off by 400 feet).  So the caches become "Advanced" and not shown to new users anymore.  Anyway, I scrapped that idea.  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious...  Does the app actually say that the caches are "premium" ?  Thanks.

For higher D/T caches, the messages says:

Upgrade to see more

This geocache has a difficulty above 2.0 and/or a terrain rating above 2.0.  Upgrade to Geocaching Premium to find it.

For other cache types:

Upgrade to see more

Become a Geocaching Premium member to access more geocache types.

To a Basic member with little knowledge of the differences between the App and the Website, it's easy to see why these 'advanced' caches are seen as being 'premium'.

4 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

To a Basic member with little knowledge of the differences between the App and the Website, it's easy to see why these 'advanced' caches are seen as being 'premium'.

At least in the Help Center, there should be a lot more transparency about "Advanced Caches".  I know that new users may have a hard time finding them, so maybe the Help Center could offer an explanation about why they're "invisible".  Especially, it would be cool to have info on how to hunt them anyway, because it's a feature available even to "free memberships", it's just, how you say... "Advanced".

I guess TPTB makes such info hard to find due to business reasons, and I'm OK with that.  "You found a couple caches, and look, you can find even more cool caches, Go PM right now!"

But explaining "Advanced Caches", or even understanding exactly how they occur, is tough to do!