Newbie finding a “trackable”? (Update: question has been answered thanks everyone )!

MsGumshoe

Hello all. Found a trackable in a cache that shows as not having a trackable by the cache owner.  I didn’t take it because I’m not experienced enough yet in order to move it in a timely fashion, but should I log it somehow? Thanks!

Edited by MsGumshoe
Question has been thoroughly answered
Just now, MsGumshoe said:

Hello all. Found a trackable in a cache that shows as not having a trackable by the cache owner.  I didn’t take it because I’m not experienced enough yet in order to move it in a timely fashion, but should I log it somehow? Thanks!

You can log it as "Discovered."  That means you saw it, but didn't take it.  You  would need to have noted the tracking number, and you log it as part of your Found It log on the cache.  You can edit your Found It log to add the Discovered log.

btw, I love your attitude--don't know how many times I have seen logs from Newbies that say "We found our first trackable and took it" and they're never heard from again.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your response! :D

2 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

You can log it as "Discovered."  That means you saw it, but didn't take it.  You  would need to have noted the tracking number, and you log it as part of your Found It log on the cache.  You can edit your Found It log to add the Discovered log.

btw, I love your attitude--don't know how many times I have seen logs from Newbies that say "We found our first trackable and took it" and they're never heard from again.

18 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Yep - awesome.....

If you find a trackable that isn't listed as being in a cache - you can fix this - you can do a 'grab' log on the TB, then drop it back in the cache you found it, or move it elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, lee737 said:

If you find a trackable that isn't listed as being in a cache - you can fix this - you can do a 'grab' log on the TB, then drop it back in the cache you found it, or move it elsewhere. 

Or better, look where it's supposed to be. Maybe the previous cacher left it in that cache but was not able to log it yet.

I just hate it when someone grabs a TB "in the field" before I can log online when I get back home. No everyone caches with an app or is always online when out caching.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, MsGumshoe said:

I did a search on the tag, nothing came up. Just noticed it says pathtags.com,

thinking the tag owner only has it active on that site.  Thanks for the info!

Please remove the picture or at least blur/cover the code. It will get fake logs from people who have seen just this photograph. :mad:

• Funny 1
24 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I just hate it when someone grabs a TB "in the field" before I can log online when I get back home.

Yes, the best thing to do is to check the logbook - if there is a log from that day (even better annotated 'left TB' or similar), take the TB, but don't log for a day (I give them 24hr) to give the recent 'dropper' a chance to log it in. I give them until the next day to log it, but you can give more leeway if you want....

57 minutes ago, colleda said:

I thought path tags were a non GC item and are  collectable rather than a trackable.

This.

It's only a "Trackable" if it has on it somewhere, "Trackable on Geocaching.com" and has a alphanumeric code. Path Tags are not trackable on geocaching.com

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, MsGumshoe said:

Thank you.

Does the item have an inscribed web site other than “geocaching.com”?  If so, its site is where you may research it.  It may not be officially trackable on geocaching.com, yet it still may be meant to move.  At the very least, it’s good to find out who placed it and what the goal is, then decide what to do.

I don’t log into a lot of other sites to “track” an item.  But if the idea is that it keeps going cache to cache, I at least put it into a cache.

Edited by kunarion
12 hours ago, kunarion said:

Does the item have an inscribed web site other than “geocaching.com”?  If so, its site is where you may research it.  It may not be officially trackable on geocaching.com, yet it still may be meant to move.  At the very least, it’s good to find out who placed it and what the goal is, then decide what to do.

I don’t log into a lot of other sites to “track” an item.  But if the idea is that it keeps going cache to cache, I at least put it into a cache.

:)Thanks 

All trackables in this hobby say "trackable on Geocaching.com" somewhere on them, and have a tracking code .     :)

The item you found, a "coin-like trackable with a hole"  isn't trackable here, and most times it's often a signature item used as swag. 

You can trade for it if you'd like.  

For when you do find one in a cache...  everything you wanted to know about  Trackables.   

7 hours ago, MsGumshoe said:

:)Thanks 

You’re welcome!

Due to cost and restrictions, I made some serialized items that I hoped might be tracked on a different web site.  But that site shut down.  So the only way to “track” one is by contacting me that you saw one or picked it up.   Sometimes people email me asking about one they found in a cache.  So that these items aren’t too confusing, I call them serialized with no tracking.  And they don’t have 6-digit serial numbers, and I show example photos in my profile, with some info.  And there’s a little information included in the bag when I place one.

Anyway, there are other numbered items out there, that are intended to be used in various ways.  Instead, official “Trackables” in Geocaching have a 6-digit code accessed on geocaching.com and often have “track at geocaching.com” or “track at Groundspeak.com” inscribed.

Edited by kunarion